Sony to ship major PS3 firmware update next March + Update 1.3 talk*

JardeL

Regular
The Sony PlayStation 3 European debut - due to take place in March 2007 - will be accompanied by a major firmware update, a senior Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) Europe executive has revealed.

Alas, SCE Europe VP of Technology Paul Holman, cited by Australian website Smarthouse, didn't say what the update will contain, though he alluded to "new features [and] new gaming capabilities".

Those capabilities look set to enhance the PS3's ability to operate as a media centre system, Holman indicated, and may even include utilities to allow the next-generation console to download alternative operating systems. At least one Linux distribution has already been announced for the console.
[ http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/12/05/sony_ps3_firmware_update/ ] ...

So everyone else gets it first, but the Euros get it right? :p Not a terrible trade, I suppose.

That's how it has always has been, hasn't it?

In probably very related news, I got asked not 24 hours ago to take part in a survey which asked questions about how often I watch DVD, listen to radio, use PVR stuff, and so on. It makes you wonder, dunnit? ;)

So everyone else gets it first, but the Euros get it right? :p Not a terrible trade, I suppose.

You suppose wrong! Bad tradeoff.;) Hopefully they will iron out the downloading problems. This business about lacking background downloading is horrendous and should've been fixed before any of the blu-ray enhancements.

What are the chances these firmware updates are delayed? ;)

Usually these firmware updates come unannounced so they just pop up every now and then (except for the psp 3.0 firmware, we kinda knew about a while before it was released).

Well, for the few of us with PS3s... firmware 1.3 is out now -- downloading now... not sure what it contains.

Ditto... Running it myself right now.

EDIT: Ok, didn't tell me much about the update.... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto... Running it myself right now.

EDIT: Ok, didn't tell me much about the update.... :(

It seems the only change is the RGB / Y CrCb Y PrPb option (there are three options, automatic, or either of the two). Might be the SACD thing too, but I've got none to test.

Otherwise it seems the same to me. DVD upscaling is a no go. Not sure if any changes to B/C.

That's the only thing I've noticed so far as well... Although the RGB support for BD-ROM is nice (if you're hooking up the PS3 to an HDCP equipt LCD monitor).

some "Firmware 1.3 info" feedback here...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132436

There was two main problems with resolution on the PS3:

#1: Resistance (some games) doesn't support 1080i

Solutions:
- Patch the PS3 firmware to scale 720p images to 1080i
- Patch Resistance to support 1080i

#2: Blu-Ray movies don't support 720p

Solutions:
- Patch the PS3 firmware to scale 1080p images to 720p
- Just live with 1080i since 99% of 720p TVs support 1080i

This firmware hasn't fixed either issue, and now makes 1080i the "preferred" resolution if your TV supports both.
Also confirmed:

No background downloads
No PS1 downloaded games on PS3 (still PSP only)
Backup utility that backs up the contents of the hard drive to a USB storage device
You can register a Blu Ray remote control in the Bluetooth utility
Play background music while surfing
My PS3 will now downscale any native 1080 software to 480p if I don't have 1080i checked (my HDTV is 720p), and now I have to manually change the res options if I want to watch blu-ray movies.
Now all they need to do is have blu-ray movies output at 720p and they will have satisfied all 720p and 1080i w/720p support owners leaving only the 1080i/480p only crowd left to fix.

Once they get the blu-ray player outputting at 720p. Those with 720p sets can just check off 720p and leave 1080i unchecked and all will be good. While those with 1080i native sets would check off 1080i and 720p and all will be good.

Hopefully the 720p blu-ray output is something that can be changed through firmware updates. Then maybe that'll be the next fix (fingers crossed)

To fix the 1080i/480p-only people without implementing a scaler they would have to force all developers to include a 1080i rendered mode in every game. That's the only way they could do it.

Why does the PS3 have those problems with scalling. Can't they use the cell for that? OK, games I can understand that they maybe can't, but for movies it shouldn't be a problem to output in any resolution that exist...

In terms of BC, support for these USB devices is also added in 1.30 (babelfished):

* However in regard to the below-mentioned USB equipment, we operate by updating to PS3 system software version 1.30.
By streetcar GO! Controller TYPE2/tight -
By streetcar GO! Shinkansen private controller/tight -
HORI flight stick 2/繝帙Μ
GT-FORCE/繝ュ繧ク繧ッ繝シ繝ォ
GT-FORCE Pro/繝ュ繧ク繧ッ繝シ繝ォ
FLIGHT FORCE/繝ュ繧ク繧ッ繝シ繝ォ
* With PS3, you cannot use fourth feedback or vibrating function.

Apparently you can also change the output format over to RGB or Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr for BD/DVD. This ties back to these previous comments from that AV Watch article:

* The current BD/DVD player for the PS3 does internal pixel processing at 16-bit per RGB. (The output depends on the display color depth.) Though the 1.0 firmware was 8-bit per RGB, Kutaragi ordered the change of the design at the final product review and it was upgraded to 16-bit in the 1.1 firmware.

* It's still not enough for TV and theater projectors that can display the original YCrCb stored in BD and DVD. For example the current PS3 player lacks gradation in brighter and darker parts of pictures when compared to Panasonic DMP-BD10. The reason why the internal processing is done in RGB is because RSX can't have 2 color spaces at the same time. Honda suspects they used RGB for the player because in the prototype design they planned to overlay XMB in RGB onto the picture of BD/DVD. In the final design XMB is not overlayed onto the player.

* Actually Kutaragi also ordered the development of the version with YCrCb internal processing at the final review. In the firmware version released in December it becomes possible for a user to choose RGB or YCrCb.

So basically if your display supports Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr input this should offer a better picture for BD/DVD playback (since you can now output their native colour-space), I think (?)

The video settings now lists each resolution with a check/uncheck option.

Its always been that way, if went to "Custom" that it is. Now I just wish they would do the same for audio, check and uncheck each output we want to use (or provide a "custom" option that does the same thing).

PS3 Firmware Update 1.3 (rant)

Ok, so they updated the way the PS3 detects/applies resolution settings.

Before, if you had a tv that supported 480p/720p/1080i you could select which resolution you wanted the XMB set at and if something else required a different resolution (higher or lower) it would just output that instead.

With this new update, it will detect the modes your tv supports (480p/720p/1080i/1080p) and set it for the highest resolution your tv can accept input for.

This is a problem for me, and the thing that pisses me off is this was not an issue before.

My tv (46" Toshiba DLP) supports 720p natively but can accept the other input signals above (other than 1080p). The PS3 with this update will automatically choose 1080i as the resolution which causes my tv to downcale the signal to 720p when in the XMB.

My annoyance is this: I don't want the XMB (menu system) set at 1080i, as sending the native signal looks slightly better. Now I can disable the 1080i mode, bu then you run into another issue:

Bluray movies will ounly output from the PS3 at 1080p, 1080i, or 480p. If I disable output at 1080i the PS3 downscales the movies to 480p.

Before I could set my tv to 720p, the XMB would display at 720p, games would display at 720p, and if I did by chance play a Bluray movie in it it would output the signal at 1080i. This is no longer an option.

I see this as a short sighted attempt at fixing an issue for some of the 1080i only folks, which really isn't a fix at all.

OBSERVED CHANGES:

- Updated resoluton detection/change in resolution hierarchy/output priority :devilish:
- Support for PS3 Bluetooth Remote
- Backup option (to backup all date to another source so you can do complete format of system)

Back