Sony To Hold Hour And A Half Investor/Analyst Meeting On November 19th

Interesting interview with Sony Electronics COO:
http://www.sonyinsider.com/2010/01/...glasgow-coopresident-of-sony-electronics-usa/

The interactions with the Senior Japanese Executives – they’re good. These are a whole different group than we’ve ever had before, they’re younger, they’re a lot more aggressive. Good backgrounds – it’s much more fun now than it was, quite honestly. They’re willing to try new things, and really be open to ideas. It’s a lot of fun.

The other thing I do that’s really interesting is we have an advisory council, where we look at the future of Sony. For some reason they’ve asked me to be a part of that, I don’t know why I was selected – I don’t ask questions anymore. I go to the meeting, and there’s some interesting people – Louis Gerstner (the Ex-CEO of IBM), Nobuyuki Idei (the past chairman of Sony), past chairman of IKEA, Peter Peterson some of the outside directors of the board are on this advisory board – we look at future business opportunities, what major things we could do, we have people come in and present to us, and it’s fun being a part of that.

As part of the Sony Online Services, Bravia Internet Video Link is coming to PS3. It's a streaming service like NetFlix as opposed to PS Store video download:

In November 2009, Sony held an investors/analyst meeting in Japan that outlined a new Sony Online Service, where any Internet connected Sony product could access a vast library of applications, music/video content, services and the ability to buy products. Sony labeled this as a new business model, and said that it would create TV’s that would “evolve even after point of sale.” Can you please tell us your thoughts on this evolution, and what your impressions were of it so far?

I think we’re making good progress – to date, I believe we have 33 million users of the Playstation Network. We’re beginning to port that network to other Sony products. We’re doing BRAVIA Internet Video Link – which is more of a streaming service than a downloading service. We’ve got that growing at a fantastic rate in our televisions right now, we added it to Blu-ray players, and we’re adding it to the PS3. We have two different delivery systems of content now ongoing. I think consumers will make the choice what’s easier for them, and then we have to also understand the business models of each of them and decided which is better for the company also. That is ongoing and going very well.

How many 3D channels do you predict there will be by the end of 2010?

I’m aware of one network slated for 2011, one slated for 2010 – this is not easy stuff. This is complex, we don’t have it all figured out yet. I think ESPN’s going to be a pioneer in the world of sports in figuring out camera placement and what to do there. I think it’s going to take some time. I don’t think we’re going to have a lot of broadcasting of 3D in 2010; I think it will start heavily in 2011. We’ll have some that begins, but I don’t think it’s going to be pervasive.

The theatrical side is moving well, but now we’re working on the TV side of this, broadcasting, and the personalized content, getting camcorders that work in 3D, getting digital still cameras that can take a 3D picture. There’s a lot of work to be done there.

Sony seems to be regrouping...

* Revamping SonyStyle stores and retail strategy:
http://www.sonyinsider.com/2010/01/25/sony-to-launch-new-retail-strategy-with-sony-store-nagoya/

* Introducing PS3 into Hong Kong airport:
http://www.moodiereport.com/document.php?c_id=1113&doc_id=23001

On my recent trip, I have already toyed with the PS3 kiosks in the Hong Kong airport. The problem is most of the ones I saw are already missing the controller (probably stolen).

So you can see the units but you can't play them. >_<

Sony's pushed the make.believe ad campaign into Latin America. Comically, they were showing Motorstorm in regions where the PS3 wasn't released.

Interesting interview with Sony Electronics COO:
http://www.sonyinsider.com/2010/01/...glasgow-coopresident-of-sony-electronics-usa/

As part of the Sony Online Services, Bravia Internet Video Link is coming to PS3. It's a streaming service like NetFlix as opposed to PS Store video download:

I'd love to be at that future of Sony meeting; in fact that'd be interesting for any major electronics/tech company. I know a guy that was at IBM during Gerstner's tenure and apparently he was quite outspoken.

Is there anything that distinguishes the Bravia Internet Video service? I see that it's streaming rather than DL'ing but there are quite a few companies offering that.

Sony's pushed the make.believe ad campaign into Latin America. Comically, they were showing Motorstorm in regions where the PS3 wasn't released.

There are Motorstorm games on both the PS2 and the PSP, so it was not totally out of bounds even if they showed the PS3 version.

Is there anything that distinguishes the Bravia Internet Video service? I see that it's streaming rather than DL'ing but there are quite a few companies offering that.

I am not a fan of Bravia IVL. I commented long ago that Sony should just evolve PSN to support Bravia (just like their recent Sony Online Services plan).

Without further info, I see IVL as a tech addition. Don't think it has a larger movie/TV library than PSN.

The PSP's not released there either. Only the PS2 is, but they haven't released Motorstorm either. So yeah.

Where specifically was this ad aired/shown? I've seen PS3s/PSPs for sale (officially) in Colombia and unofficially as far afield as Lima and even La Paz (the highest capital in the world I believe!) although I only saw PSPs in the latter.

Sony to restructure Liverpool studio:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony-to-restructure-liverpool-studio

Sony Computer Entertainment has revealed that it is in the process of restructuring its Liverpool studio following "project prioritisation" by the Worldwide Studios division.

GamesIndustry.biz understands that the company will look to relocate staff to other studios where possible - but that some redundancies may be necessary.

"It has been decided that production on a number of projects within Studio Liverpool will cease immediately due to project prioritisation. Our North West Studio Group has been and will continue to be a vital cog in the WWS family, with a history of producing genre defining games such as MotorStorm, WipEout, Formula 1 and WRC and this decision will have no impact of the role that the North West Studio Group will play in the future of all PlayStation platforms."

More changes:
http://www.sonyinsider.com/2010/01/29/sony-acquires-convergent-media-systems/

Sony has acquired Convergent Media Systems, a leading provider of video integration solutions to the enterprise market. The Alpharetta, GA based company has established itself as an expert in digital signage and content distribution systems and will be integrated as a subsidiary into Sony Electronics’ broadcast and professional products business. According to John Scarcella, president of Sony’s Broadcast and Business Solutions Company, the acquisition of Convergent is a “key building block” of Sony’s worldwide business-to-business strategy to accelerate its transformation into a solutions-focused organization. Sony will leverage Convergent’s experience and resources to provide end-to-end systems solutions and managed services in both new and existing professional markets.

Looks like they are going into turn-key media services to tie all their systems and products together ?

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/03/sony-actively-thinking-about-charging-for-psn-not-offering-mo/

In an extensive interview with IGN, Sony senior VP of Marketing Peter Dille notes that it's been the company's philosophy not to charge for PSN, but calls the possibility "something that [Sony's] actively thinking about." The company has no announcement to offer while it tries to figure out "the best way to approach" any potential changes.

Full interview is here:
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1065686p1.html

Also starting to see more TV spots for Freerealms, I wonder if this is leading up to a launch of it on PS3 soon-ish. That could be used as a motivator for paid PSN if it was included. You'd basically get the subscription based Freerealms (most in game micro-transactions you're still required to buy if you want) instead of the free based account.

Regards,
SB

If they ever decide to release any of the MMOs they promised for the PS3, they could do a station pass thing again, like they did on PC.

Looks like they are going into turn-key media services to tie all their systems and products together ?

I don't think it has to do with their internal media network/offerings so much as it does in supporting efforts like becoming the go-to company for 3D equipment, support, conversion, etc. 3D just being one example (but one they have highlighted of late). Think IBM, only for broadcasting/encoding/professional AV business needs.

Back