Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

Really? What was wrong with it?
It has problems with dark scenes. The local dimming can cause objects to have a foggy halo. Especially things like dust in the air or stars in a night sky. I think this is caused by the LED grid being lower "resolution" than the display so the illumination can't perfectly align.

The Crystal has some settings to control how dark the local dimming is allowed to go to reduce the visibility of this.

It has problems with dark scenes. The local dimming can cause objects to have a foggy halo. Especially things like dust in the air or stars in a night sky. I think this is caused by the LED grid being lower "resolution" than the display so the illumination can't perfectly align.
That is the problem with local dimming. It'll be fine if broadly similar brightnesses per region, but if you need to render one light pixel, the whole dimming area needs be on. There's no real solution for that and you need per pixel to be a light source, or an 'LCD' that can black out 100% light. I guess every display is going to have its compromises.

That is the problem with local dimming. It'll be fine if broadly similar brightnesses per region, but if you need to render one light pixel, the whole dimming area needs be on. There's no real solution for that and you need per pixel to be a light source, or an 'LCD' that can black out 100% light. I guess every display is going to have its compromises.

Yeah that's for sure. I lean towards the OLED path because I love how the wide contrast ratio looks.

PSVR2 feels like a next generation Odyssey+ and that might be very nice for the price.

I'd like to see microOLED become more accessible.

Last edited:
It's a bit unfortunate that Sony didn't build BT connectivity into the PC adapter box. People seem unhappy about this.

Other headsets have had BT integrated since around 2018. Other than PSVR1/2, which just rely on the console's BT.

Last edited:
Reactions: snc
nah, I dont want to spoil and bring his views down, but he likes it ;)
You don't have to tell us all the content, but at least tell us what it is about. eg. "This guy has reviewed the PSVR2 headset favourably and it exceeded his assumptions, " or "after more use, his opinion of PSVR2 changed from first impressions."

At least give B3D users a reason to watch it beyond a click-bait title that is an immediate turn-off for some (all?) of us.

You don't have to tell us all the content, but at least tell us what it is about. eg. "This guy has reviewed the PSVR2 headset favourably and it exceeded his assumptions, " or "after more use, his opinion of PSVR2 changed from first impressions."

At least give B3D users a reason to watch it beyond a click-bait title that is an immediate turn-off for some (all?) of us.
This guy is well known vr hardware reviewer, nothing to explain here ;)

This guy is well known vr hardware reviewer, nothing to explain here ;)
I'll do it for you then.

It's a glowing review for PSVR2. He was wrong in his opinion that Sony should have included BT in the adaptor because he happened to have an adaptor that works.

That's kinda the point of not including it. It's just a shame BT isn't more universal and reliable. I wonder if FW somewhere can make more adaptors compatible? Oh look, I can talk about content of the video in this discussion forum now with other people without us all having to spend 20 minutes watching it. How curious that a few moments of words in a discussion forum can help push along the conversation in a way 20 minutes of video can't.

I'll do it for you then.

It's a glowing review for PSVR2. He was wrong in his opinion that Sony should have included BT in the adaptor because he happened to have an adaptor that works.

That's kinda the point of not including it. It's just a shame BT isn't more universal and reliable. I wonder if FW somewhere can make more adaptors compatible? Oh look, I can talk about content of the video in this discussion forum now with other people without us all having to spend 20 minutes watching it. How curious that a few moments of words in a discussion forum can help push along the conversation in a way 20 minutes of video can't.
All do respect but I post video because he compared psvr2 pc to other headsets and you derelled about bt (I understant its kinda important but it was already posted in earlier post). And no, your post wasnt even remotly as interesting as video I posted. If people have concetration lacking then I dont care, video was on subject of this topic, I dont have to explain myself.

I follow his channel and just for context, ALL of his videos are ultra gushy like this one and generally his favourite headset is whatever he happens to be reviewing at the time.

Obviously still a good addition to the PC VR headset options as he points out though, especially for the price (although Quest 3 has rather taken the shine off that advantage now).

All do respect but I post video because he compared psvr2 pc to other headsets and you derelled about bt (I understant its kinda important but it was already posted in earlier post).
Which is why you'd do better to describe what you saw in it yourself.
I dont have to explain myself.
No, but if you want a conversation on this discussion board, you'll need to use words and explain something. If you just want to post videos, use Reddit.

Back