Sony France: PS3 intial price range forecast "499-599 Euro"

Shifty Geezer said:
So Sony want to continue the Olde Worlde 'hike-EU-prices' strategy? It should either be $750 in US, or ~350 Euros. $500 and 500 Euro is a price mismatch I was foolishly hoping we were getting past.

Xbox 360 Premium costs 399 EUR on amazon.fr, so I wouldn't be suprised if PS3 also had a 1-to-1 USD-to-EUR correspondence.

Shifty Geezer said:
$500 and 500 Euro is a price mismatch I was foolishly hoping we were getting past.

It indeed is, for the xbox360, MS just took the $399 price tag and made it into €399 for Europe. That means a bit higher price for Europe of course but still, it is the smallest price difference between the two territories ever, as far as I know. Lets see if Sony follows that with a $499 and a €499 price tag as well...

Pugger said:
Slider 499-599 Euro's will be a price point in the UK of £399.99-£459.99 going on how Sony priced the PSP.

Yeah, sorry - I was a little hasty and did a rough and straight conversion. And yup, I meant the lower end of the range.

Another European Sony outfit made some proclamations about the PS3 fairly recently I think. Can't remember who though. Regardless, I wouldn't take this as official just yet however likely it seems.

I've been very vocal about the piss-taking of Euro gamers in the past, but it seems things have gotten much better lately. PSP is priced "correctly" if we consider the taxes that we have to pay - it is not a USD-GBP straight conversion. Same for X360 and all other consoles.
I don't see why they should go back to ripoffland now, after they put their heads together for the last few years.

I was just going to ask about PSP. It looks like prices are in line given Taxes. That's why I thought PS3 would be similar. The idea we pay 50+% premium for living in the most civilised and educated and classy continent on Earth doesn't strike me as fair. Especially considering the strongest economy on Earth gets the lowest prices! Those that can afford to pay the most pay the least? :???:

Shifty Geezer said:
So Sony want to continue the Olde Worlde 'hike-EU-prices' strategy? It should either be $750 in US, or ~350 Euros. $500 and 500 Euro is a price mismatch I was foolishly hoping we were getting past.
Is tax included in EU?

Anyone, no way is Sony (or Ninty) going to release its new console at anything but a 1-1 ratio. MS have paved that way.

This source isn't the most trustworthy, but I've long harped on about value. You can't expect them to put all that technology out at the same price as the X360. People can hope though.

Nicked said:
Is tax included in EU?

Anyone, no way is Sony (or Ninty) going to release its new console at anything but a 1-1 ratio. MS have paved that way.

This source isn't the most trustworthy, but I've long harped on about value. You can't expect them to put all that technology out at the same price as the X360. People can hope though.

Yep, the tax is included. As or the price, for Europe I was expecting around €500, I mean I really couldn't see them launching PS3 for lower price than the PS2. The question is US...

Nicked said:
Is tax included in EU?

I’ll believe this when I see it\hear it from Sony Japan or Sony USA

499.00 and 599.00 EU? 500.00 is really pushing it 599.00 is just ridiculous, especially since in North America 500$ EU is at least 550.00 US.

Their doubleing the cost of a console from 1 generation to the next, how do you guys think this is going to be excepted? in the real world that is

Last edited by a moderator:
I said it after the Business Meeting a few weeks ago - you'll be very lucky to walk away with a PS3+HDD for less than $500/€500, IMO. I've put aside €600. Oh, and I would expect any price conversion to be $1 = €1, as has been Sony's (unfortunate) habit.

I wouldn't take this as confirmation of the price however, but the suggestion is in line with my expectation.

c0_re said:
I’ll believe this when I see it\hear it from Sony Japan or Sony USA

499.00 and 599.00 EU? 500.00 is really pushing it 599.00 is just ridiculous, especially since in North America 500$ EU is at least 550.00 US.

Their doubleing the cost of a console from 1 generation to the next, how do you guys think this is going to be excepted? in the real world that is

What real world do you live in?

I am quite happy about the $1 = €1 situation. It wasnt that long ago it was closer to $1 = £1 :???:

Titanio said:
I said it after the Business Meeting a few weeks ago - you'll be very lucky to walk away with a PS3+HDD for less than $500/€500, IMO. I've put aside €600. Oh, and I would expect any price conversion to be $1 = €1, as has been Sony's (unfortunate) habit.

I wouldn't take this as confirmation of the price however, but the suggestion is in line with my expectation.

It's in line with my expectation for Europe as well. However, the recommended retail price in Europe is not necessarely the same one in the US. I expect the US to get the best deal out of all countries with Europe taking the shaft as usual.

Shifty Geezer said:
Especially considering the strongest economy on Earth gets the lowest prices! Those that can afford to pay the most pay the least? :???:

You Euros :rolleyes: ...low prices mean that people buy lots of stuff. Buying lots of stuff means that businesses make money and produce more to keep up with the demand. You can't just go about tinkering with the prices of everything and expect the economy not to change. Economics 101, bro. Everything is a trade-off. You get your nationalized health care and awesome public transportation, but you have high prices and slower economies. At least Britain's unemployment isn't stupid-high like France's or Germany's. Of course, now, between American corporations and an increasingly hostile and isolated Muslim population (which is procreating way faster than you guys) apparently muscling much of European sophistication and culture into oblivion (well, what was left of it after two continent-wide wars), well...this isn't the politics thread.

I dunno, if you want lower prices, maybe have more babies?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it's *not* a politics thread Fearsome, and I would ask that you edit your thread, lest you want to have a political discussion. Becuase I have to say, I disagree with almost all of what you said.

Without starting a s*storm, what are the suggested retail prices over the pond for BD-ROMs, do Mfrs. usually do a 1:1 conversion or are they typically better in the CE dept. than the console mfrs are about pricing.

Guess my question is what is the low range for a stand alone BD-ROM in euros? I have only seen the estimated US pricing.

NucNavST3 said:
Without starting a s*storm, what are the suggested retail prices over the pond for BD-ROMs, do Mfrs. usually do a 1:1 conversion or are they typically better in the CE dept. than the console mfrs are about pricing.

Guess my question is what is the low range for a stand alone BD-ROM in euros? I have only seen the estimated US pricing.

Haven't seen any yet, and seeing how the HD era has barely reached these borders, I will be surprized if they release HD player here anytime soon...

Back