Sony France: PS3 intial price range forecast "499-599 Euro"

Hmm, starting at around 350 UK £'s. That's manageable (for me at least) for a launch I think. A lot depends on the HDD of course. A lot also depends on how long it takes for that guy to withdraw his statement.

I guess that this holidays MS will sell a lot of consoles, they dont even need to lower the price, but specialy if they do. Personally I think that this is to much unless they will sell to the hardcore first then cut the price fast, but by them MS/N should have already take a place as prymary cosole for many already no hardcore gamers.

I am quite sceptical if this is any good for Sony or not (BTW I bother with free online those how buy this can easly pay it then also make it free).

Slider 499-599 Euro's will be a price point in the UK of £399.99-£459.99 going on how Sony priced the PSP.

The PS2 launch price here was about €590.
I'm not sure if that was the Sony announced price, but that was what most of the stores here were charging for it.

I say PS3 will be €499 here, with 60GB HDD, as that is what the xbox360 "Premium pack" costs and I don't think there will be price reductions for xbox360 before PS3 launch.

rabidrabbit said:
The PS2 launch price here was about €590.
I'm not sure if that was the Sony announced price, but that was what most of the stores here were charging for it.

I say PS3 will be €499 here, with 60GB HDD, as that is what the xbox360 "Premium pack" costs and I don't think there will be price reductions for xbox360 before PS3 launch.

Where do you live? The X360 Premium pack cost 399 EUR around here. As for the PS3 price 500 EUR including the HDD would be ok, but 600 EUR would be overcharging...

Yes, sorry. I was looking at prices that included a game.
The bare xbox360 Premium is indeed €399 - €419.
Well. my prediction for PS3 €499 still stands ;)

I don't think that 500€ is bad especially if the HDD is included. That is what the PS2 costed when it arrived. If the HDD is not included or the price is close to 600€ with the HDD then it will be a bit too much.

Anyway, the more interesting thing is whether this price is at all indicative for the US price. All consoles until xbox360 have always been much more expensive here compaired to the US. The xbox360 is the first console to have similar prices in US and Europe and if Sony is going for a similar price policy like MS that would indicate a price around 500$ for the US...

Platon said:
The xbox360 is the first console to have similar prices in US and Europe and if Sony is going for a similar price policy like MS that would indicate a price around 500$ for the US...

Which is what Spong is reporting.

Warning: Spong!

Gossip doing the rounds amongst Californian developers seeks to peg the price of Sony's looming PlayStation 3, with the figure of $499 being bandied around quite actively in the last few days.

According to several sources, publisher-owned developers taking receipt of updated development kits have been briefed that the pricepoint is final. However, there are a few inconsistencies and therefore this news should be filed in your brain as grounded speculation, not confirmation.

http://news.spong.com/article/9854

Now here's the question, does the $500 price include the HDD or not? If not, will they go the dual sku route like the Xbox 360's where the bare bones version is $500 and the Premium(includes HDD) is $600?

Hardknock said:
Now here's the question, does the $500 price include the HDD or not? If not, will they go the dual sku route like the Xbox 360's where the bare bones version is $500 and the Premium(includes HDD) is $600?

That is the big question. If it not there then the xbox360 would be even more competitevely priced. Sure you don't get a BR drive, but it is cheaper and has a HDD. If Sony has a HDD the only thing going for the xbox360 is that it is cheaper price while the PS3 will instead have a BRD. Personaly I think at 500$ or € the HDD will be in there, I can't see the BRD making the console more than 100$ more expensive...

In the interview Fornay says that the machine has a 60GB HDD included.
But then again, he didn't sound extremely confident about a lot of stuff, for instance he stressed a lot the fact that he couldn't confirm at 100% the November launch in the European countries, and he actually said that the PSP was a great exemple of a machine that wasn't released on time (in EU) but yet succesful...

In other words, the PS3 may be priced around €500, may contain a 60GB HDD and it might be launched in November, in Europe...

Not a lot of solid information, other than the fact that they consider launching at a €500 price point.

So Sony want to continue the Olde Worlde 'hike-EU-prices' strategy? It should either be $750 in US, or ~350 Euros. $500 and 500 Euro is a price mismatch I was foolishly hoping we were getting past.

Shifty Geezer said:
So Sony want to continue the Olde Worlde 'hike-EU-prices' strategy? It should either be $750 in US, or ~350 Euros. $500 and 500 Euro is a price mismatch I was foolishly hoping we were getting past.

Euro and Dollar are closer than the used to be...

500 Euros is 609.135 US Dollars today...

And 500 US Dollars is 410.418 Euros.

Back