Sony Disable “Install Other OS” in firmware (v3.21)

Yes, it is extremely easy to buy a modded PSP in Asia. The retailer will pack it with pirated movies and games on a memory stick when you buy it. In fact, it's the "main SKU" for many. If they don't do it, consumers will shop from another store for the "better deal". Consumers may not care.

Yes, it is extremely easy to buy a modded PSP in Asia. The retailer will pack it with pirated movies and games on a memory stick when you buy it. In fact, it's the "main SKU" for many. If they don't do it, consumers will shop from another store for the "better deal". Consumers may not care.
This....is the exact case here.

I'd just like to add that we shouldn't take as concrete fact that used games market hurt sales. The idea is a thriving 2nd hand market would allow people who aren't keen to play a certain game buy it to play and then resell. Games that someone think isn't worth it at full price may then become attractive.

The impact on sales hinges on factors that vary from game to game such as the proportion of people wanting to keep their copy.

On the other hand, CFW and the associated piracy is the reason no dev cares for the PSP anymore, as no games are sold!

So you have your nice(?) features, but no games - if this is what you guys want...great for you (and this is not meant to be sarcastic), not so great for PSP gamers (and the devs, and to some extend Sony)!

i still get more psp games then ds and my ipod touch {especially since ipod is horrible at gaming}
the sheer quality outweighs the quantity ds and ipod get
so i have both functionality and games

So you agree CFW is a good thing for consumers then?

And only one moderator needs to be involved. Why would multiple need to be involved? Same with any site. Dragona at GAF is very well respected across the board... not sure if you're a regular or not but that should come as no surprise.

I agree that CFW can be good, but being good for consumers all around is another question. CFW lead to the situation that PSP is in right now. The hardware is obviously successful, but the ease of installing CFW has lead to extreme piracy that has pretty much killed the software sales of the system (this is fact, by the way).

CFW has good intentions, however, like most things that hackers / homebrew communities do, it can and WILL be exploited by people with ill intentions. There is NO QUESTION about that. It's just how things are.

As for Dragona...she perma-banned me for having a discussion with a few other members about Sony's 10 year life cycle. Since I was one of the very few that believed it possible, and argued my point strongly, she perma-banned me, saying "go shill for Sony somewhere else".

eastman - Used game sales almost always go to new games. Granted, it's not the BEST for the industry, however, given the economy in the United States, I would argue that the used game industry currently is the main driving force between the "success" of the video game industry despite such hardships. After all, you can't go to a movie theater and trade in old DVD's to see a new movie, but you can do it for games, which is why that industry has remained a bit more successful during these times.

Guys, I know a lot of you are on GAF, but B3D is not the NeoGAF 'chill out lounge.' ;)

Every post that has the word 'GAF' in it around here would be just as pertinent were the references to be removed, know what I'm saying? And certainly Dragona discussion is best held elsewhere.

I didn't see this. Sorry, removing (most) of the Dragona stuff. :) Thanks, sorry again.

PSP does well in Japan and it's software does quite well here.

Compared to the DS (and in general), the PSP sell like crap in the US and it's software sales reflect accordingly.

Another thing to consider with the PSP is that CFW could certainly be responsible for a share of it's hardware sales. The device might have gained appeal due to CFW and it's featureset. However these potential buyers had no interest in the gaming aspects of it and thus you didn't see a blip in software sales.

Not saying that piracy isn't an issue. It clearly is but that's the case for most system this and prior gen's. Yet they still manage to sell.

Another thing to consider with the PSP is that CFW could certainly be responsible for a share of it's hardware sales.

I believe David Reeves said as much.

The device might have gained appeal due to CFW and it's featureset.

From my observation while I was there, the consumers don't really care whether it's CFW or official firmware. The relative feature sets count very little. It's the content.

Free movies, music and games.
... and then the PSP case colors.

The free content may also be self-provided (from existing personal libraries or elsewhere).

However these potential buyers had no interest in the gaming aspects of it and thus you didn't see a blip in software sales.

In Asia, I've seen people playing PSP games on public transports. It's rather common.

Not saying that piracy isn't an issue. It clearly is but that's the case for most system this and prior gen's. Yet they still manage to sell.

It also depends on their channel and audience. e.g., I will buy my kid's games from more trusted sources. I am more likely to pirate games for myself, especially if they are readily available. In general, I think kids will just pirate if they cannot afford it.

I already said it sells well in Japan. Hardware and software reflect that. Maybe it does so in other Asian countries also but we don't get those number, so I can't say.

My observation was regarding it's poor software sales in the US and how they match the hardware sales here also. With limited appeal, you can't expect the software to chart.

Even the DS for it's stupid good hardware sales has "low" software sales in realtion to the 360 and PS3 which often sell a lot less. You could say that the handheld buyers simply don't have the same buying trends as console owners. The number would seem to compliment that theory, in the US.

Piracy/CFW usage etc all apply but they apply to every console and have over many generations.

Japan and US are relatively well controlled in piracy. ^_^

Naturally, software sales is proportional to hardware sales.

My problem with vendors/distributors of content taking these types of measures is they are unilaterally punitive. I have yet to see a measure like this that didn't ultimately end up doing more harm than good. The pirates are unlikely to buy your product now that they can't steal it. They'll just find an easier mark. OTOH, you risk alienating your legitimate users and losing their purchase.

The approaches that have seemed to me to be the most successful at dealing with piracy are those that reverse the above method to *incentivize* legitimate purchases instead of trying to punish or prevent piracy.

PSP doesn't really punish the users though. The platform is pretty much "open" now.

In general, businesses will always try to incentivize purchases. It's marketing. It will always run with or without piracy.

For the OtherOS incident, I think the blog mentioned "security concern", it could be piracy, stability, cheats, or other security-related issues. I believe some cost element is involved too whenever you talk about security. You can always scale the effort up, but there is a cost to the provider, and a cost to the users (flexibility, performance and other usability concerns).

Yeah, after they drop other OS in slim, I knew it's only a matter of time before Sony disable it in the older model, it's not the selling point they had hoped for and it will just cost them money to maintain. Actually other OS was there for open Cell development, that didn't turned out too well either.

I can't believe that Dragona over at NeoGAF is banning people who are suggesting hacking can (and does, 100% of the time) lead to people pirating software.

Hackers and Homebrew enthusiasts may have the best of intentions, but there is zero question that it always leads to piracy in the long run.

Indifferent2.gif

I doubt hackers have the best of intentions, where are all the homebrew on the PS3? I haven't seen any. Even on the PSP, I know people who pay money to get their PSP installed with CFW, to do what? To play pirated games, and that's about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
PSP doesn't really punish the users though. The platform is pretty much "open" now.

In general, businesses will always try to incentivize purchases. It's marketing. It will always run with or without piracy.

For the OtherOS incident, I think the blog mentioned "security concern", it could be piracy, stability, cheats, or other security-related issues. I believe some cost element is involved too whenever you talk about security. You can always scale the effort up, but there is a cost to the provider, and a cost to the users (flexibility, performance and other usability concerns).

PSP has been pirated to crap, who the hell buys PSP games anymore? You know what? Console makers should make EVERY EFFORT to stem piracy, it's like a bloody plague, there are always guys like Geohotz who think they can hack every platform on the planet, except in this case Geohotz FAILED, Sony is basically slamming the door shut, even if one day he managed to use otherOS to hack the system open which I DOUBT, it would not do the damage he wanted because most people will have otherOS removed, I don't believe the guy has good intentions at all.

Well... I buy a PSP game once in a while. In the western world, most PS consumers focus on the home console. Unlike DS, the PSP has very little differentiation compared to PS2/PS3. Portability is its "only" strength.

So you agree CFW is a good thing for consumers then?

And only one moderator needs to be involved. Why would multiple need to be involved? Same with any site. Dragona at GAF is very well respected across the board... not sure if you're a regular or not but that should come as no surprise.

How so? It destroyed the PSP and essentially destroyed any chance of publishers wanting to put good games on it, IN THE GUISE OF "HOMEBREW", that is NOT good for the consumers, when I refer to consumers I mean PEOPLE WHO PAY LEGITIMATELY FOR NON-PIRATED GAMES, not steal them via piracy.

Well... I buy a PSP game once in a while. In the western world, most consumers focus on the home console. Unlike DS, the PSP has very little differentiation compared to PS2/PS3. Portability is its "only" strength.

Portability is the whole point of a portable handheld system.

Once in a while is how often publishers make a PSP game, because the platform has been hacked to crap, Sony has lost complete control over the system in terms of piracy, I doubt even they really want to make games for it just to have someone pirate the crap out of them, they put games on it because they don't want to admit the system should go. It's the worst thing that can happen to a platform, I can't believe anyone should advocate piracy of any kind, if you're not willing to pay for something then you shouldn't be able to play it.

My problem with vendors/distributors of content taking these types of measures is they are unilaterally punitive. I have yet to see a measure like this that didn't ultimately end up doing more harm than good. The pirates are unlikely to buy your product now that they can't steal it. They'll just find an easier mark. OTOH, you risk alienating your legitimate users and losing their purchase.

The approaches that have seemed to me to be the most successful at dealing with piracy are those that reverse the above method to *incentivize* legitimate purchases instead of trying to punish or prevent piracy.

The problem the console makers can do nothing against the hackers and pirates.

No amount of incentives can change the fact that people who buy pirated games don't want to pay for games legitimately, doesn't matter how much is the game is or what the incentive is, they're perfectly willing to pirate a completely crappy game and be happy with it. Pirates will not buy your product legitimately, to believe otherwise is naive. Most legitimate users shouldn't care about otherOS, when most of them will never use it, at the end of the day it's not punitive to people who bought the console to play games and play blu-ray movies.

Indifferent2.gif

I doubt hackers have the best of intentions, where are all the homebrew on the PS3? I haven't seen any. Even on the PSP, I know people who pay money to get their PSP installed with CFW, to do what? To play pirated games, and that's about it.

You have to remember when the psp came out it was a bad media player. We used old codecs with low bitrates. Custom firmware opened that up for users

Portability is the whole point of a portable handheld system.

Once in a while is how often publishers make a PSP game, because the platform has been hacked to crap, Sony has lost complete control over the system in terms of piracy, I doubt even they really want to make games for it just to have someone pirate the crap out of them, they put games on it because they don't want to admit the system should go. It's the worst thing that can happen to a platform, I can't believe anyone should advocate piracy of any kind, if you're not willing to pay for something then you shouldn't be able to play it.

The psp makes a poor portable system tho. Its very bulky becaue of its shape (can't fit into pockets easily) it has very bad battery life and very long load times and has bulky umds.

CFW fixes that . it allows you to put games onto memory sticks which makes the systm more portable , decreases load times and increases battery life.

You have to remember when the psp came out it was a bad media player. We used old codecs with low bitrates. Custom firmware opened that up for users

But at what cost? How many people actually run videos on it? The PSP is a gaming platform, playing game is its primary purpose, CFW-driven piracy destroyed that. I'm not sure I want to pretend somehow installing CFW on the thing so I can fun pirated games on it is justified for any excuse.

Back