Sony Corporate Re-org

obonicus

Veteran
Since this seems to be the 'corporate Sony thread':

Stringer Shakes up Sony Management, Takes President Position

The Networked Products and Services Group will bring together Sony's PlayStation games console, Vaio personal computers, Walkman audio products, new mobile products and Sony Media Software and Services, which develops a common service platform across Sony products. All of these products currently provide access, or will in the future, to Sony's PlayStation Network, an online content distribution system that Sony expects will power its networked electronics products in the future.

At the top of the division will be Kaz Hirai, who currently runs the PlayStation business at subsidiary Sony Computer Entertainment. Hirai is a Sony veteran and fluent English speaker and managed Sony's U.S. PlayStation operations while Stringer was running Sony's U.S. consumer electronics business.

They're betting a lot on the playstation brand.

I think this is worthy of its own thread... and so shall it be done!

The last quote of the quoted paragraph is a bit confusing, since Stringer wasn't "running" Sony's electronics division [in the past]. But nevermind that...

Overall I think it makes a lot of sense. It's where KK was headed before the original re-org, and where Stringer himself has been trying to take things without much luck yet. Having SCE tie-in to the Walkman and Media/Services branches brings a much needed emphasis on commonality, and leverages the software know-how at SCE; a key aspect of the future for electronics and an area in which the other Sony divisions seem a bit archaic. Now along with that of course they're going to have to balance their design and market targeting within individual product offerings and be sure to not let things become a blurred mass, but... I think the upside potential is greater than the downside potential at least.

I like this. The Playstation brand has been a big part of revenue for Sony. Bringing the Playstation brand as a central focus for the company can unit it's products and will finally give them a consistent core business that they can always expect to be a source of income.

Seems bold and I like it. Looks like Howard will finally get the left hand talking to the right.

They seem to have sidelined Ryoji Chubachi, which is a positive move in my book. Never really liked him as a top exec (Too quiet, too soft, no visible contribution).

The PSN move is expected though. They have hinted at the consolidation a couple of times already (including a cellphone Home demo). Playstation is their key, driving both the Blu-ray platform and the Network business. The bet is still on the Playstation brand even if they are shifting to expand PSN, and looking for new opportunities. Didn't think Sony would downplay it anyway. Look forward to more stuff from Sony Media Software and Services.

The movie and music divisions seem unchanged (although they had some minor shuffling along the way).

The only omission is Sony-Ericsson. Something needs to be done there and is probably in the works. Differentiating via PSN-cellphone connection is likely the first step.

Also, what's happening to Hirai's day-to-day role running Playstation from Japan ? Who's helping him with the expanded role now ? Hope the gaming press can interview Hirai for a more detailed look.

This is what they should have done, and were going to do, from the off. A unified content and services platform isn't new. Indeed it's surprising to me that they're talking about it as if it were! the only 'new' thought is that everything will tie into a PlayStation Network. That doesn't make a great deal of sense for music say. I can imagine the PSN become SonyNET and the name change happening on PS devices too.

That doesn't make a great deal of sense for music say. I can imagine the PSN become SonyNET and the name change happening on PS devices too.

Lucky for them, the word "play" (thus Playstation) can incorporate the context of audio and video as well as gaming.

Lucky for them, the word "play" (thus Playstation) can incorporate the context of audio and video as well as gaming.
That was the whole reason foe the choice of name in the first place! PlayStation is the place you go to play, versus the Work Station where you work. I just feel it's too associated with consoles and gaming. If they can push the console image further aside in place of overall entertainments, it'll work okay.

I'm wondering if this move will put off some of the older generation of audio/video enthusiasts who view the Playstation as nothing more than a toy. As well I wonder if this will hurt Sony in the high end audio/video segment where margins are higher.

I suppose this just depends on how closely they try to tie in consumer electronics to the Playstation brand. But I have a feeling this will weaken their A/V position against the likes of Denon, Harmon Karden, Onkyo, Pioneer, etc...

Although it does have the potential to drive more mainstream volume I believe.

Regards,
SB

Home audio and video products fall under the second major group, separate from Playstation.

What may "tie" them together is the common software platform and network services. The structure chart one posted is helpful but I am a little wary about common software platform. If it's too nebulous, nothing will get done/rolled out.

PSP, PS3, PSN and Playstation Home were called out by Hirai at the end of the Japanese article... followed by Augmented Reality.

Ah ok, that makes a lot more sense. :) I was seriously scratching my head on how they would incorporate A/V into the Playstation brand. :p

Regards,
SB

The common ground will be the consumer services and may be underlying technologies... like PS Store movie download. Blu-ray could go into PS3 or standalone players. I actually don't know which group take charge of Blu-ray now (The studios should be driving this more today, but PS3 has the largest player share).

Knowing Sony, they will keep multiple brands.... just like Apple has Mac and iPod.

Ah ok, that makes a lot more sense. :) I was seriously scratching my head on how they would incorporate A/V into the Playstation brand. :p
It's not all being rolled into a PlayStation brand. You won't buy PlayStation MP3 players and PlayStation laptop PCs. There'll just be a common software platform for both content and, I guess, interfaces. This'll be PSN and XMB, or some derivative perhaps. Thus on your Walkman, you'll access the PlayStation Network to buy content direct, and on your laptop you'll access the PlayStation Network to download music and movies, but these devices will be discrete in name and design from PlayStation. The only stigma will come from accessing the network. If the content and services are there, it shouldn't really be a problem, but it still sounds a bit limited in scope. ie. Sony can't really distribute application software through PlayStation without seriously stretching the definition of 'play'! A Sony Network conveys a far more open service with a wider range of options.

That all said, Sony's track record on devliering on anything is pants. This should be happening...two years ago, not in the future, and that they'll ever get their act together is in doubt!

That was the whole reason foe the choice of name in the first place!
Was it? What were the A/V capabilities of original PlayStation besides gaming?
I just feel it's too associated with consoles and gaming. If they can push the console image further aside in place of overall entertainments, it'll work okay.
Agreed, but I personally think PSN umbrella for connectivity is better than any new contraction that includes Sony as far as naming goes.

Plus, apparently many people are already buying PS3 as BD players. ;)

That all said, Sony's track record on devliering on anything is pants. This should be happening...two years ago, not in the future, and that they'll ever get their act together is in doubt!

Well said.

I'm guessing there'll be no name change. Just Sony Playstation Network, Sony Bravia Fo-Fo Network, blah

Shifty said:
That all said, Sony's track record on devliering on anything is pants.

Cut this up, and send it to Hirai. He should put this behind his office chair or war room as a reminder.

EDIT: More meaty report here:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601204&sid=ab3_d86GlL_I&refer=technology

The reorganization will allow the company to save $3 billion in costs in the year starting April 1, more than the previously estimated $2.5 billion, Stringer said at a briefing in Tokyo.

... also focuses slightly more on Chubachi.

Sir Howard Stringer, the head of Sony, unveiled senior management changes and restructuring moves yesterday, aimed at ridding the Japanese group of its “old guard” and preparing it for the grim realities of a global consumer slump.

The changes were capped by a dramatic demotion for Ryoji Chubachi, Sony's president and the decision to place more control in the hands of Sir Howard. The British-born chief executive said that the decision to roll Mr Chubachi's former role into his own removed an unnecessary layer of bureaucracy.

The reshuffle involved the promotion of four relatively young executives. Sir Howard praised the quartet's “courage”, hinting at the setbacks he has faced in trying to impose real change on Sony's operating ethos.

The injection of fresh blood sent a signal that Sir Howard had belatedly taken “step one in the right direction”, David Gibson, an electronics analyst at Macquarie, said. Step two, he added, would be the long-overdue closure of underperforming businesses. Amid fierce competition in areas such as LCD televisions and digital cameras, Sir Howard said yesterday that his ambition was to build “products people will yearn for at prices they can afford” — an increasingly tough proposition, with consumer spending crumbling about his ears.

Sony's Japanese rivals, such as Panasonic, have suffered even worse financial torment. Pioneer said recently that it was dropping out of television production, while Sony itself is expected to make an operating loss of 260 billion yen (£1.9 billion) in the current financial year ending in March. Although the restructuring plans do not appear to call for any further job cuts and are expected to deliver only about $500 million (£350 million) more cost savings beyond the $2.5 billion announced already this year, the moves mark the company's most serious attempt to unify structurally the sprawling and diverse mixture of businesses under the Sony brand. This is an aim that Sir Howard has been describing as vital since taking over as chief executive in 2005.

The realignment will involve the creation of a “networked” division that will bring under the control of one manager the group's PlayStation games business, the Vaio laptop business and the handheld products under the Walkman brand. That division will be run by Kaz Hirai, the chief executive of Sony Computer Entertainment and an ally of Sir Howard.

Other changes include the creation of a division to oversee the complex supply chain of components and outsourced services used across the electronics division; this could lead to the outsourcing of many components that Sony builds for itself. The existing system is reputed to be a source of wild inefficiencies and duplications.

The group's huge electronics division — formerly headed by Mr Chubachi — is the side of the business that has been hit hardest by the downturn. The position of president will be filled by Sir Howard, who will take on the role in addition to those of chairman and chief executive.

The change comes amid warnings by analysts and large investors that Sony's battle for survival, which has been made many times harder by global economic crisis and the strong yen, depends on more power being concentrated in the hands of its first non-Japanese leader.
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article5817865.ece

Back