Sony Announces Blu-ray Movie Pricing

NucNavST3 said:
I am currently using the small white lie of, "I pre-ordered these, months ago".
OMG that is so funny. I thought I was the only one. It's not a lie if I pre-ordered it in my head, right? :LOL:

The other great one I use is: "it was a sale price so I thought I should get it now just in case it goes back up in price."

NucNavST3 said:
I am currently using the small white lie of, "I pre-ordered these, months ago".

Sis said:
OMG that is so funny. I thought I was the only one. It's not a lie if I pre-ordered it in my head, right? :LOL:

The other great one I use is: "it was a sale price so I thought I should get it now just in case it goes back up in price."

How about the "I traded a some old stuff in so all said and done it costs like 10 bucks" one?

The variant is "I sold a bunch of old stuff on ebay so..."

I usually reserve this only for major hardware purchases, when i need to bring out the big guns... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm never really ahead of the tech wave, so I freely let things sort themselves out before hopping on board. ;) As the HDTV service from cable/satellite still isn't that extensive right now (and are still wanting to smack you overly-expensive premiums, IMHO) I'll even be waiting on getting anything in THAT direction for a while.

The internet comes supplied with way too much stuff to amuse myself with in the meanwhile. ;)

randycat99 said:
How much do DVHS movies cost, anyway?

"newer" ones you are looking at about $15 and up on ebay. Something like Ice Age or Alien (maybe it is Aliens) you are looking at BOHICA (military term for: Bend Over Here It Comes Again) $50-200. I only own 15 movies, although, I will be doing the aforementioned white-lie, hereafter named, WL, to buy some more this week. Regrettably, most of the online stores that have the movies, which is few, DVD Empire and Best prices, usually charge about 27-40 for titles.

I am not one to shy away from a product because of price if I feel it is worth it. I have the JVC 40000u, but for sake of full disclosure, I was actually able to buy it for only $40 (yes, forty!), so thats how I let myself pay the crazy prices for the tapes.
My issue that I brought up about BD-J and now apparently the same sort of thing with HD-DVD is, I already have a really good/great picture (depending on movie), so it is those other
"little" things that I am interested in that would get me to buy BDR or HDDVD, and those bullet points for each format seem to be slipping by the way-side at the moment.

Sis said:

No....of course not.........and I DID pre-order them in my head.

You know what the craziest thing is, here I was talking about people gouging with their "ridiculous" bundle prices and then I realize I have 16 XBLA games and 15 360 games (including my pre-orders). I could have bought one of those crazy bundles, never opened the packages on the games I didn't want and traded them for something else; ah, well, this way its easier to fly under the radar with regards to the WF (wife factor).

WAY OT: While REALLY pre-ordering, actually paying off, Full Auto (which I like), Fight Night: R3 and Burnout, I bumped into a guy trading in DOA4 (we both have the same opinion on it, though, I do still own my copy) we get to talking, next thing you know we are swaping gamertags like we were kids trading baseball cards, I though that was kind of cool.

NucNavST3 said:
next thing you know we are swaping gamertags like we were kids trading baseball cards, I though that was kind of cool.

Best thing to come to online console online gaming. Rev and PS3 need them, everything else is frosting on the cake... Unified login ("gamertags") and friends list are key.

I'd much rather have a refined version of the gamertag, where you don't have to always be known as the same thing in every game. (Though you would have the option to be, of course.) Personally, I'd rather adopt a different handle in different genres--different games--to suit my fancy, playstyle, or whatever. (Heck, I might just want to make a really bad pun somewhere and not have it follow me around forever. ;) )

It seems like a rather trivial thing to me to allow individual handles on games (which would not be allowed to duplicate unique gamertags) which you could turn on and off (or, say, only let people on your friends' list see through) to make it feel more customizable and personal with each of the games. (I hate using one name for everything. I don't do it in MMORPG's, so why would I want to do it in EVERY online game?)

Just so long as you don't lose out on the advantages of a central identity, I think different levels of "opting-in" is just plain better.

cthellis42 said:
I'd much rather have a refined version of the gamertag, where you don't have to always be known as the same thing in every game. (Though you would have the option to be, of course.) Personally, I'd rather adopt a different handle in different genres--different games--to suit my fancy, playstyle, or whatever. (Heck, I might just want to make a really bad pun somewhere and not have it follow me around forever. ;) )

It seems like a rather trivial thing to me to allow individual handles on games (which would not be allowed to duplicate unique gamertags) which you could turn on and off (or, say, only let people on your friends' list see through) to make it feel more customizable and personal with each of the games. (I hate using one name for everything. I don't do it in MMORPG's, so why would I want to do it in EVERY online game?)

Just so long as you don't lose out on the advantages of a central identity, I think different levels of "opting-in" is just plain better.

Similar to how they do it in a lot of character based online games then -- your gamertag could be your account, but then you could have different characters (like in various MMOs or online diablo,etc). Seems possible, but I'm not sure how much it would really matter in a game like Halo... but in an RPG I can understand that people like to have a name that means something. And I imagine character based RPGs will allow this (like in any of the MMOs... or it just wouldn't make sense).

Tags should have domains too. Imagine in your group of friends someone's always known as Eeyore, yet when they get to go online that tag is taken. It gets annoying trying to think up something. The fact that there's an Eeyore in Mississippi shouldn't stop someone else being Eeyore in West Byfleet to their friends. So allow local groups to set themselves up with domain level handles.

(Patent Pending UK1476271636b :p )

Back