Son of a ------

[font=arial, verdana, helvetica][SIZE=-1]Accurate color
CRTs can provide richer color in a fuller spectrum than most LCDs. In general, graphic artists prefer CRT monitors because they show truer colors and greater nuance-particularly useful for preparing files for printing and for using photo applications such as Adobe® Photoshop®.

Response time
CRTs may respond more quickly than some LCDs to videos and fast-action games. For some LCDs, pixels respond to voltage (being turned "on" and "off") more slowly than the time it takes for an electron beam to redraw a CRT screen. As a result, fast-moving images can sometimes leave visible trails, called ghosting, or appear blurry on an LCD. ViewSonic ClearMotionTM LCDs have virtually eliminated response-time issues.

Viewing angle
CRT monitors display good brightness and color from a wide viewing angle. Some LCDs, however, look their best when you are directly in front of them, because of the way light passes through liquid crystals in the screen. Keep in mind that LCD technology is rapidly developing, increasing LCD viewing angels, so this CRT advantage doesn't hold true in every case. Check the specs of the monitors you're considering. ViewSonic XtremeView® LCDs have superior viewing angles.

Multiple resolutions
CRT monitors can switch between multiple resolution settings without a significant loss in sharpness. If you need to change your monitor resolution frequently, you may be better off with CRT technology.
[/SIZE][/font]
[SIZE=-1]
They don't seem to be terribly convinced themselves of the CRT advantages that they profess.

Nite_Hawk
[/SIZE]

Nite_Hawk said:
[SIZE=-1]
They don't seem to be terribly convinced themselves of the CRT advantages that they profess.

Nite_Hawk
[/SIZE]

Well, they are still trying to sell $600+ LCD's so they don't want them to sound too bad ;)

Best way to check for ghosting is to play a fast (and smooth) 2D-Scrolling Game. I thought my 2 Year old TFT is free of ghosting when I bought it - I still cant notice it in 3D-Games, but now I know it definitly is there.

That and dark places are lacking contrast.

No way Im going back to CRTs tough, as you still have much better clarity and sharpness. Instead I`ll make sure my next TFT supports 50Hz refresh for those old Amiga-Games

You are correct that LCDs are sold on footprint. That is absolutely one of the reasons CRTs are done for in the market. Try selling a CRT larger than 17" to the average consumer and see what he/she says. Brightness is also a big selling point and the manufacturers love to tweak their LCDs to be horribly blue to get them to look bright instead of going for true sRGB. (Not these Dells though, they are slightly warm by default actually).

Well I believe that some of us here are visualphiles that care more about hard specs than a truly tangible benefit. It's the same thing as an audiophile. Since when do specs relate directly to quality or enjoyment? A dim CRT could have the most fantastic color reproduction in existence but it may also have blurry text, moire patterns all over, trinitron lines, curvature, weigh 100 lbs, and burn 100W+ electricity.

If you like what you see on your LCD, it's great for you. If you don't like what you see on a LCD, buy a CRT.

I think these two Dell LCDs are the best thing ever to happen to my computing experience. Their size, brightness, clarity, and color reproduction are all superior to every CRT I've ever seen and I refuse to believe that in the last 15 years of screwing with computers that I've only seen shit monitors. LOL. These Dell screens aren't even high end LCDs! Games, pr0n, web sites, photos, text are all sharper and more impactful than they ever were on my 19" CRT and previous CRTs.

The LCD black point and banding issues are truly issues that are annoying, but they aren't show stoppers and only show up under very specific viewing conditions.

There are so many ADVANTAGES to LCD tech that to me these just outweigh what a CRT can do in comparison. CRTs are probably dead tech. I imagine OLED or whatever is next in "LCD-ish" tech will just continue to surpass them in quality in the end.

To be honest I wouldn't mind having an extremely high end CRT in my arsenal but I seriously don't know where I'd put one of those behemoths. I am continually giggly over Tech Reports review with the biggest CRT they could find. They needed two people to move it and a reinforced table to support it. It was back in their 2048x1536 testing. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
swaaye said:
You are correct that LCDs are sold on footprint. That is absolutely one of the reasons CRTs are done for in the market. Try selling a CRT larger than 17" to the average consumer and see what he/she says. Brightness is also a big selling point and the manufacturers love to tweak their LCDs to be horribly blue to get them to look bright instead of going for true sRGB. (Not these Dells though, they are slightly warm by default actually).

Well I believe that some of us here are visualphiles that care more about hard specs than a truly tangible benefit. It's the same thing as an audiophile. Since when do specs relate directly to quality or enjoyment? A dim CRT could have the most fantastic color reproduction in existence but it may also have blurry text, moire patterns all over, trinitron lines, curvature, weigh 100 lbs, and burn 100W+ electricity.

If you like what you see on your LCD, it's great for you. If you don't like what you see on a LCD, buy a CRT.

I think these two Dell LCDs are the best thing ever to happen to my computing experience. Their size, brightness, clarity, and color reproduction are all superior to every CRT I've ever seen and I refuse to believe that in the last 15 years of screwing with computers that I've only seen shit monitors. LOL. These Dell screens aren't even high end LCDs! Games, pr0n, web sites, photos, text are all sharper and more impactful than they ever were on my 19" CRT and previous CRTs.

The LCD black point and banding issues are truly issues that are annoying, but they aren't show stoppers and only show up under very specific viewing conditions.

There are so many ADVANTAGES to LCD tech that to me these just outweigh what a CRT can do in comparison. CRTs are probably dead tech. I imagine OLED or whatever is next in "LCD-ish" tech will just continue to surpass them in quality in the end.

To be honest I wouldn't mind having an extremely high end CRT in my arsenal but I seriously don't know where I'd put one of those behemoths. I am continually giggly over Tech Reports review with the biggest CRT they could find. They needed two people to move it and a reinforced table to support it. It was back in their 2048x1536 testing. :)
I agree that CRT is dead tech, but that's no problem because of the advances in thin display technology.
My current CRT, an old non flat HP M90 19" .26 dotpitch is pretty good, not all that sharp, but I prefer it to my brother's 2001FP.
The blacks on the monitor annoy the shit out of me, and of course you can only it at the native res, and I'd rather crank up the detail in a game and run a lower res (1024 is the lowest ill go) then make the game look all crappy at a higher res.
Because I hate working in a bright room when using the computer or watching tv I have a more intense hatred of lcds with poor black levels.
Also the the 2001FP still draws 90 watts of power.

Maybe it's just me but I can't pick out the faults that people tell me exist on LCD monitors.
It's like trying to pick out where my imaginary friend is located.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Maybe it's just me but I can't pick out the faults that people tell me exist on LCD monitors.
It's like trying to pick out where my imaginary friend is located.

Actually it's good to you if you can't. Otherwise, you may have to keep a big bulky CRT along with the LCD, just like me.

Well, ignorance is bliss... ;) (and I say that only half scorningly)

If you're happy, all power to you. Some aren't(me included). Simple as that.

As another example, I've never gotten how much people can obsess about anti-aliasing. Yeah, I can see it bla, bla, bla... I just don't ...care that much. It's just not that important to me.

What I don't get is why some people flat out deny/belittle that there are (some)IQ-problems with TFTs. It's not really a matter of opinion, it's cold facts. If you don't see it or don't care(like me and AA), that's perfectly fine by me. But don't tell me it isn't there in the face of evidence! <- not specifically directed towards you, K.I.L.E.R.

CRTs are flawed to the bone, I can't stand them anymore.
Hell the $1000 CRTs look like crap compared to the older LCD monitors with ghosting.

Cool, a new PhanBoy category I can add to the ever growing list...

Intel vs. AMD
Nvidia vs. ATI
PlayStation vs. XBox
LINUX vs. Windows
CRT vs. LCD

Diplo said:
Cool, a new PhanBoy category I can add to the ever growing list...

Intel vs. AMD
Nvidia vs. ATI
PlayStation vs. XBox
LINUX vs. Windows
CRT vs. LCD

The CRT vs. LCD war has been going on for years... ;)

Nite_Hawk

I've joined in and I'm on the side of the LCD monitors.
Never has my computer looked better.

Those without LCD monitors should be shot in the head with a monkey.

LOL.... okay..

KILER I love my LCDs but these guys are right, CRTs have some serious advantages in some cases. Load up Doom3 please.

K.I.L.E.R said:
I've joined in and I'm on the side of the LCD monitors.
Never has my computer looked better.

Those without LCD monitors should be shot in the head with a monkey.
Er.. like someone said, if you cant see the flaws we're discussing that's fine, but be aware that some people like my self CAN see the flaws and they do exist, even in your 1 grand tft.
videophiles>lcds, just like some people think bose sounds great simply because the marketing of them, and how they show off bose in special rooms.
There is simply no denying that lcds do not have the contrast of crts and that their colors aren't as accurate.
They have tests to show this which is how we know this.
You may like the way it looks to you, but again, be aware that the flaws are real, we aren't making this stuff up.
Why would we want a bulky crt if it didn't have charactoristics that we enjoyed over tft?

Last edited by a moderator:
My LCD has a shitload more contrast than any CRT I've seen.
It's really bright.

Makes games look a lot better.

BTW I tried Quake 1 with real time lighting(Doom 3 style) and it looks great.
What's so bad about it?

Turn down the gamma(had it originally at something like 2.4 from 1.2 or something) and it's as black as it was on my previous monitor.

Back