A bit of a different project of mine, Lucifer

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Been working on regluing my cello "Lucifer" for the past week. He had at least 3 fully detached spots that were causing a horrendous rattle on any open strings. The repair shop wanted like $500 to repair it back when I was about 18 and it was just one split, so I blew it off and it's just gotten worse over the years and I haven't been able to play him because he sounds so awful.

Since trying to learn to play the uke, I've missed being able to play Luci...so I bought a couple of wood clamps off Amazon along with some decent wood glue and have been doing it one seem at a time for about 24 hours each. The results when I hit it with my new $20 bow and my 38 year old rosin blew my mind, his tone is fucking AWESOME again even with open strings!

I can play cello again, I can get unrusty fast and then who the fuck knows what I'll do! :D

Lucifer sounds great, but my fingers still need to get back in shape with intonation. But in just two days I've already drastically improved and I can't wait to see where I go with it!

A little off-topic, but it's made me happy as hell. The whole repair job cost me under $20us and is bringing me a WHOLE lot more happy than that!

cellofixed.jpg

W00t w00t!

I tried to find my favorite clapping-hands forum smiley, but with the proliferation of emoji these days it's impossible using google image search. I found a penis riding a motorcycle, but not that smiley, jesus. lol So you'll have to make do with me doing it IRL, instead. :D

Btw, Digi... Maybe you can tell me this?

Why is it that so many Mericans have literally nothing on their walls? Not wallpaper even, just some flat color, like beige or white, across an entire room.

Put up some pictures and book cases and stuff, dammit! :D

Actually I got a friend who recently moved back from Texas where he'd been living for about 20 some years and he's living with his brother not too far from me now. He comes from an insanely large family of like 9-13 kids (I can't keep track, Tom my friend is the second youngest and he's a couple years older than me.) and their dad made a living as a drummer under the name of "Riggs" and played with all the big 50's bands. Every member of their family is insanely good at drumming and at least two other instruments or more. One of his older brothers is a studio guitarist in LA, and his younger brother Greg (who was and is a friend of mine, he's about a year or two younger than me) plays the area doing one man shows and from what I hear is insanely good at it. (I still haven't went to see him, yes I feel guilty)

Anyways, he and his brother got a small studio set up in there basement and they've been having fun banging stuff out together and he has been after me FOREVER to bring my cello by for the drama it can add to the music...plus he was sort of shocked when I was able to wing it in a jam session on an electric bass that I'd never ever tried to play before. (It was FUN! Tuning and instrument in fourths is stupid as hell in my opinion and I've NEVER understood why they do that with the bass but not the violin, viola, or cello which are properly tuned in fifths...but my brother played bass and to piss off our music teacher one year we traded instruments for the concert just to show her how stupidly easy her musical choices were. Her face walking on stage when she saw my brother on my cello and me on his bass was priceless, and it really was easy enough that we'd figured it out the day before. Oh, the other cello player and bass player had also traded places. We were all friends and we enjoyed the hell out of it. Pissed her off more that we didn't screw up. ;) ) I miss playing music with other people, there is real fun and a bit of magic sometimes in the interactions and when he came over this summer and we got drunk I started howling out the vocals to some of the tunes I dug and now he wants me to teach his brother how to sing with more feeling! ROFL

I never got to play in a band before. Lots of orchestras, quartets, and trios...but that was the first time I had gotten to jam with a band and it was FUN! I can't play guitar, chords confuse me. I spent too much time working on how to finger my notes to get the exact tone to understand frets, but the idea of adding a cello to some music does give me a bit of a thrill because I do love how much it can add...and I can add it now! :D

Next step will be to learn about electronic pickups and stuff, but I figure they'll have lots of experience with guitars and stuff with that so it shouldn't be hard. Oh, I also have a lot of practicing to do. I is rusty as hell! My ear is still golden, but man my fingers are NOT! Probably never get back to golden again, but I'll be happy if I can get it to a silver at least so it'll sound good. :)

Sorry for the babble, long day and this subject makes me happy. The idea of getting to go to my friends house and lay down some tracks with him and his brother really does sound fun to me, he's talking doing multi-tracks so I can play duets with myself and that just sounds weird and wonderful.

Back