Somewhat new Square Enix info...

Almasy

Regular
Seems Sony will get support from SE afterall...

-------------------------
After providing a launch title, the company will continue its support for the new Nintendo handheld. Apart from releasing its CG movie Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children on the PSP's UMD format, Square Enix has yet to detail plans for PSP development. While one title has been confirmed to be in development, Wada reiterated previous comments, saying he was not interested in releasing ports, but rather original content for Sony Computer Entertainment's new platform.
------------------------

Remember my comments about FFXII? Turns out that it was indeed an strategic move...shame. Here´s confirmation:

As previously reported, the release schedule of Final Fantasy XII, Dragon Quest VIII and Kingdom Hearts II has not been fixed yet. It was also clarified that the delay of Final Fantasy XII's release had nothing to do with the game's development status, but was a strategic decision. The possibility that both the newest Final Fantasy installment as well as Dragon Quest VIII will see a Japanese release during the current fiscal year ending on March 31st, 2005 still exists. Regardless, Wada stuck to the target of selling 8.06 million copies in Japan, commenting that if one title's release would slip into the next fiscal year, there had to be a backup plan.
------------------------

Mmm....so no set plans for their 3 pillars. I hope they figure out this, because right now it really seems like they suddenly found themselves with too many big games in their hands and they don´t know what to do with them.

I´m sure they´ll sort it out, these three games will eventually make it to the market (and be great). Still, no real FF in around 3 years still sucks, though.:(

This, however, has me a bit worried:

Following the resignation of Yasuhiro Fukushima as company chairman, Akitoshi Kawazu, head of Square Enix's second production team will take over his seat on the board of directors. Fukushima, who was also founder of Enix, is Square Enix's largest shareholder and will assume the role of a consultant.

I hope Kawazu is a better exec than a game creator, the guy couldn´t make one good game even if his life depended on it. :D

Back