Some USA PS3 games work on a Jap PS3

i read it was region locked by some of the japanese consumers, though i was under the impression it wasnt suppose to be. Maybe its devs choice like the 360.

IIRC, the console itself isn't region locked (so it's up to the devs/publishers). Games can be though. I believe it'll be like how 360 handles it.

I think they are taking more of the same principals with the psp. As in they are actually supporting devs to go region free, meaning most games will be region free. Infact, I dont think I've ever run into a psp game that was region locked. Then again, I don't import much. :p

I thought so too!? Since the Wii will be multi-region also.

The Wii is not mutli-region in any sense.

P.s. The thread title is a bit misleading. It implies that there are some US PS3 titles which do not work with Japanese models, when there are in fact no cases of this so far.

since those 2 are actually the only games available for sale right now....

Well, yeah, I only said a 'bit' misleading :p

I just think maybe it could have a bit of cosmetic work done, it wouldn't be half bad to have a thread on this subject with the US launch just approaching.

Good to know that JPN PS3 can play US PS3 games but what about the online service? Say, if I get a JPN PS3 back to Canada, can I still enjoy the online services?

PS3: No region lock for PS3 games, but region locked for last gen games. BR movies are region locked, but the US and Japan share the same region code now.

Wii: Locks everywhere which really blows in my opinion...

Good to know that JPN PS3 can play US PS3 games but what about the online service? Say, if I get a JPN PS3 back to Canada, can I still enjoy the online services?

I heard the current JPN PS3s are Japanese only. Meaning you can't even change the UI to english, the online store and everything tied to your account will be in Japanese.

It sounds like it will require a firmware update to convert it.

Question is, for the Japanese living in Canada such as myself and a few of my friends, is it worth it to import the thing over? Obviously, language is not a problem, and in 2-3 years we'll most likely be back anyway. But if we can't play certain games released here, then that in itself becomes a problem.

If its a matter of credit cards with the store, its not really that big of a problem, but does the store track your IP and such?

Yea, there were plenty of US PS2 games I wanted to play but I was restricted to JPN PS2 games due to my JPN PS2. I guess buying the US PS3 should be the better choice for me since it can still play JPN PS3 games and can also go online to play/download/etc without risking if JPN PS3 online will work or not...

If JPN PS3's online works fine in Canada and I had a choice to pick between US and JPN version, I would pick the JPN. *for some unknown reason* :LOL:

Back