Some 3rd hand revolution info... (from a friend's friend..)

Pozer

Regular
http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=346038

On the Revolution, he said that the console is, in fact, called the "Revolution," (or at least they haven't announced the official title yet) but he said while he hasn't seen the console, he heard some people talking about the controller. Each player will actually have two controllers, one for each hand. They will each have a joystick or d-pad, a regular shoulder button, and a pressure sensitive trigger, kinda like the gamecube. But he said the real kicker is that they also have laser readers of some sort in the top of the controller, above the triggers that can tell where you are pointing. So for instance if you were playing a FPS, you'd point it up and you'd look up, move it right and you'd look right.

feel free to delete just thought I'd share.

It's only the #4652156 rumor about the Revolution's interface.
We'll know what's true and what's not in just a few days, anyway.

And the "laser readers", this friend's friend is refering to, should be gyroscopes, I think. Laser pointers makes little sense in a gamepad.

motion2.gif

Re: Some 3rd hand revolution info... (from a friend's friend

Pozer said:

On the Revolution, he said that the console is, in fact, called the "Revolution," (or at least they haven't announced the official title yet) but he said while he hasn't seen the console, he heard some people talking about the controller. Each player will actually have two controllers, one for each hand. They will each have a joystick or d-pad, a regular shoulder button, and a pressure sensitive trigger, kinda like the gamecube. But he said the real kicker is that they also have laser readers of some sort in the top of the controller, above the triggers that can tell where you are pointing. So for instance if you were playing a FPS, you'd point it up and you'd look up, move it right and you'd look right.

So how would this type of controller work with a game like Soul Calibur? :?

Pozer said:

Sounds like a torch! :p

Jaws said:
Sounds like a torch! :p
Well, it sounds more like the return of the good ol' Zapper!

Vysez said:
Well, it sounds more like the return of the good ol' Zapper!
Mmmh, sounds like bull to me. Nintendo wouldn't release an oddball controller like that, it would be impossible to control more than two buttons per hand that way; thumb and index finger. You'd reasonably need the other fingers to hold each "pistol grip".

Vysez said:
Nice! He's moving his hand left and right but the cursor is moving up and down, LOL.

I'm not really sure if controlling the camera/cursor with your wrist is a good idea, after all the body part(s) capable of most precise movement is the fingers and not the wrist or the arm.
A pad allowing you to twist and move it with your fingertips, while pressing buttons is quite hard to picture.

Squeak said:
Nice! He's moving his hand left and right but the cursor is moving up and down, LOL.
I thought that, but it's taken from an ambiguous angle. Well, constructed from an ambiguous angle...

I'm not really sure if controlling the camera/cursor with your wrist is a good idea, after all the body part(s) capable of most precise movement is the fingers and not the wrist or the arm.
A pad allowing you to twist and move it with your fingertips, while pressing buttons is quite hard to picture.
You'd be surprised! I once saw a calligraphy book that called for writing to be done through the whole arm, not the fingers/wrist. At first it's much harder and less precise, but after training it's smoother, less straining, and more consistent. Of course conving people to retrain there approach to game-control might be asking a bit much :D

Shifty Geezer said:
You'd be surprised! I once saw a calligraphy book that called for writing to be done through the whole arm, not the fingers/wrist. At first it's much harder and less precise, but after training it's smoother, less straining, and more consistent. Of course conving people to retrain there approach to game-control might be asking a bit much :D
You are still using your fingers with that technique, only in conjunction with your arm and wrist.

Writing is a combination of high frequency detail movements in the characters, and low an frequency movement in the lines.
For controlling a cursor/viewpoint on a screen, you only need the first kind of movement because you are not dealing with real world direct "transmission", you can set the movement ratio as you like it.

It sounds like Nintendo isn't happy that gaming is socially acceptable now and is trying to turn the clock back 10 years.

Like I want to be seen playing something like that -_-

Vysez said:
It's only the #4652156 rumor about the Revolution's interface.
We'll know what's true and what's not in just a few days, anyway.

And the "laser readers", this friend's friend is refering to, should be gyroscopes, I think. Laser pointers makes little sense in a gamepad.

motion2.gif

Dude, I bought that POS for $99 a year ago. It f'n sucks ass. So mad that I bought it. And it's supposed to be one of the best gyration devices out there.

I really hope Ninty don't use that crap for standard controllers.

If your using something like gyroscopics (or whatever you want to use to react to movement) then why would you need more then one controller? Also why use two controllers that limit you to 6 buttons (because of the way you'd have to hold them) when you could have any amount of buttons on a single controller? There seems to be no advantages and no point to having two controllers like this. So unless I'm just missing the point entirely here then I agree Nintendo would not bring out such a silly design.

Also how would we play GameCube games with this controller setup? It'd be impossible for 99% of GC games.

Well .

In say re4 you can use each side of the controler for something else

the left side can move your line of site while the right side controls the aim of your gun

Back