So no harddrive for X-Box 360, Flashdrive instead?

Why would it be on a CF slot? There's almost no reason to think it would not be soldered on the board
BTW the 3DO already had 32KB of SRAM for saves.

I'm scratching my head of those comments... :? :LOL:

questions: how many HDDs have failed on you?, who replaces the HDD in a Xbox ? . Do HDDs use more power? what other bolt on parts use 12vs in a XBOX360? HDDs are bad in consoles.

wco81 said:
Console makers get good margins from memory cards which can only be used on their consoles. Sony still charges $25 for an 8 MB card.
I think this point is now redundant. If the console companies are going to be charging me me 25 bucks for 8 megs, they can shove it!

I expect to be able to use substantial memory cards, so the need for multiple cards is very reduced. Assuming saved games don't grow into the multi-megabyte size, a 256/512 mb card will cover pretty much all one's saving needs. They won't be selling several cards per user.

Sony have set the ball rolling by including MemStick for save games. Portable multifunction storage will be key. By limiting themselves to a proprietary flas-mem format, I think MS/Ninty would alienate a lot of options. Better to have the higher functionality and greater appeal than a few extra bucks.

By going with CF or SD, MS and Ninty could offer more affordable storage then Sony, helping maintain the more affordable console. Also MS and Ninty don't have the same cross-platform interests as Sony (MemStick in TVs, media players, etc.) so are more flexible in their choices. Providing a multi-card reader would allow people to use existing cards from their cameras etc. Seems all-round a better choice to me than proprietary cards sold at a premium.

Right so basically you've described why Nintendo and MS should give up an incredibly profitable revenue stream for the sake of charity.

On the grounds it'd be folly to try and sell 8 mb cards at $25 a piece when the competition provide access to hundreds of megabytes, cross-media functionalty, and added usefulness.

Yeah, every company wants to milk the buying public for all they can, but there are limits!

I wouldn't mind Memory Sticks or Duos. Yes they cost more than SD but they can be used in other devices.

Plus you can get a card reader and mount them on computers. Then you can download game saves or sports games rosters on them.

No more need for things like Max Drive or Action Replay.

Whether standard flash memory could be used for caching games is another matter however.

Shifty Geezer said:
On the grounds it'd be folly to try and sell 8 mb cards at $25 a piece when the competition provide access to hundreds of megabytes, cross-media functionalty, and added usefulness.

Yeah, every company wants to milk the buying public for all they can, but there are limits!

What competition is going to offer all of that?

Sony. You use PS3 or PC as a gateway to media, download to MemStick, play on PSP, put MemStick in Sony camera, take photos, put MemStick in Sony TV, view photos, put MemStick in PS3, save games.

A CF or SD solution that does the same would be cheaper, so MS and Ninty could compete in that area (assuming some sort of Media player, which Nintendo might introduce with GBA2?) with price along with functionality, and support other devices, not just their own brand (unlike Sony, where you need a Sony house to fully live the Sony way).

It's be an excellent idea to support all those old camera memories that people have outgrown with newer larger sizes, giving access to lots of free storage for the console.

At best I can imagine an adaptor like what the gamecube was going to have that allowed flash cards to be used, otherwise Nintendo and MS don't have their own line of electronic products that use their own proprietary memory solutions.

Back