Smash Bros. Brawl :)

wiicon.jpg

Although they will let you play SSBB with the old Gamecube controller, it's still dissappointing that it won't control so well with the Wii's classical controller.

nintenho said:
wiicon.jpg

Although they will let you play SSBB with the old Gamecube controller, it's still dissappointing that it won't control so well with the Wii's classical controller.

Doesn't the Wii have less buttons than the gamecube? How will they map the controls?

Fox5 said:
Doesn't the Wii have less buttons than the gamecube? How will they map the controls?
Well, you would have A and B to do attacks, R and L triggers to block, move with left anologue, quick smashes with right anologue, taunt with D-pad, jump with X and Y, and throw away items or grab with Z or the L and R triggers. It would all work the same if they have more then two shoulder buttons/triggers. Are there any pictures from another angle?

There was a high-res shot of the Classic Style controller.

Yes, there are four shoulder buttons. But instead of the second pair being interchangable with your index and middle finger, they're on the same pane (using the same trigger finger to press and "compress" both shoulder buttons).

On a high-res note, the trailer as presented in 16x9 60fps.

sfried said:

Yes, there are four shoulder buttons. But instead of the second pair being interchangable with your index and middle finger, they're on the same pane (using the same trigger finger to press and "compress" both shoulder buttons).

On a high-res note, the trailer as presented in 16x9 60fps.
*worships sfried*

Do you know what site had the picture of the shoulder buttons on it?

sfried said:

[/url].

22072.jpg

Apparently theyve changed their mind again, in the real controller there're only 3 shoulder buttons.
http://www.planetgamecube.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=11455

Update: 5/10/2006 Virtual console demo stations were on hand at E3. According to the representative on hand, as of now, the controller will not be packaged with the system itself, citing the fact that not all players will use the Virtual Console. He did admit that this is subject to change.

This seems like a huge mistake. So in-order to play Smash Bros. Brawl effectively we'll have to buy this classic controller add-on?? One should just come standard in the box with the Remote.

Awesome! Also, I find that the Snake bit in the trailer is very promissing, its great to see how well a real life character intergrated with the animated characters. I really cant way, some of the effects look very well done and very very awesome.

I'm really hyped for the Wii. Its cheap, and its the right console for me!

Skrying said:
Awesome! Also, I find that the Snake bit in the trailer is very promissing, its great to see how well a real life character intergrated with the animated characters. I really cant way, some of the effects look very well done and very very awesome.

I'm really hyped for the Wii. Its cheap, and its the right console for me!

Well, the game already had some fairly humanoid characters, like Captain Falcon and Samus, even if they're not quite real world.
I'd say Zelda was perhaps the closest to looking like a real world character.

Hardknock said:
This seems like a huge mistake. So in-order to play Smash Bros. Brawl effectively we'll have to buy this classic controller add-on?? One should just come standard in the box with the Remote.

Well, ATM SuperSmash offers both Wii Remote and Classic/ GCN controlls. Since nobody has tried the game yet, commenting on the controller is kind of pointless.
I think the reason for not bundling the classic controller is that Nintendo would like to have as many unique 3rd party titles as possible and not just straight ports. I guess, their strategy is to emphasize the "uniqueness" of Wii.

Thanks for the picture link, Gack!

I have to say that the kid icarus kid whatsisname looks so cute I'd feel bad having to beat him up. It'd be child abuse. :LOL:

Then again, pretty much all girls in japanese fighters look underage, so I guess it's not really that different. ;) Well, apart from the size of their breasts that is, lawl...

What I don't get is why does the classical controller connect to the Wiimote? Is it so that the Wiimote sends the signal instead of the classical controller and so they force you to buy more Wiimotes?

It saves on needing a separate controller with battery and BlueTooth gear. I guess you could consider it 'forcing' the purchase of a whole Wiimote, but if you've got Wii and want multiplayer, you're surely going to want multiple Wiimotes too. If you only care to have standard controllers for multiplayer, why get Wii?!

I'd have preferred if the standard controller had connected to one of the GC ports instead. It feels stupid having to have the wiimote hanging around on a cord and being in the way somewhere, sort of defeats the whole wireless concept. :p

I think I'll stick to the GC pad as far as retrogaming is concerned. The standard pad's button layout strangely doesn't correspond to the N64's anyway so what's the point with it really? What a bizarre half measure!

Besides, it's feckin ugly anyway. :D

hey looks fun.

Wii might be the best console to get for some crazy fun with friends. I am considering it very seriously to purchse two consoles this generation

Guden Oden said:
I'd have preferred if the standard controller had connected to one of the GC ports instead. It feels stupid having to have the wiimote hanging around on a cord and being in the way somewhere, sort of defeats the whole wireless concept. :p

I think I'll stick to the GC pad as far as retrogaming is concerned. The standard pad's button layout strangely doesn't correspond to the N64's anyway so what's the point with it really? What a bizarre half measure!

Besides, it's feckin ugly anyway. :D

I'm going to take a guess and say the classic control pad retains the full functionality of the nunchuck attachment, namely it should also have an accelerometer in it.

I'm uncertain of what would be the point of an accelerometer in the standard pad, considering from the infos we have available right now, it's geared towards retro-gaming.

Lacking the six face buttons of the N64, it will be hard to play many of those games properly, including many FPS titles like Turok and such that depended on the face buttons for moving around.

Back