Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure (PS3,X360,Wii,3DS)

I had no idea any such thing existed. Since I have Spyro as my PSN Avatar, mainly because the avatar looks so cool :cool:, I clicked on this youtube link and wow! itsa whole new game I had no idea about !

The Trailer:

The Explanation on how it works :

Seems like there are 32 toys that work with this game ! You get three toys when u buy the game and all your progress with that character is stored in the toy itself. So, I can take my toy to friend's home(not that any of my friends is going to buy it, but.....) and play co-op with him with all my levels, treasures, abilites,etc I earned whereever I played before. SO, basically, transferring saves and characters is non-issue. Also, the toys work accross all platforms, so I can continue with my PS3 game character on a friends' wii or X360 or 3DS.

The hook, it seems, is that children will want to have all the toys, if they get hooked to the game and that means sustained sales of the toys after the game has reached a household. Its like physical DLC :smile: !!!! or like collecting physical pokemon toys to use in a game !

The Website has a list of all the characters

@patsu: Do you want a Dark Souls toy? It will solve your save transfer issue :LOL: !

The transfer issue is caused by FROM locking the game save. ^_^

How much does a Spyro figure cost ?

The premise is interesting but it seems too much hassle just for switching characters. Would be more interesting if we can replace the limbs and head to build up powers.

I would love a different control scheme too. A WiiU pad, 3DS or Vita may be more expressive. Does the 3DS version have more features ?

EDIT: Where is the data stored ? In the figure or in the cloud (where the figures are just ID tags).

I think one toy costs around $8, and u get three toys with game.

I don't know if the character data is stored in the cloud or not, but since the same toy works on all platforms and how quickly it gets in, doesn't seem like cloud to me. How are they transferring data from the toy to the portal? They just place it on the portal.

Probably RFID tag and local save files then ? That means no progress transfer across platforms. Or they let us copy the save files over.

They can start their own servers to keep the data if they want. May be too costly if they don't have MP.

It saves on the figure. He states that very explicitly from 2 minutes. It'll be using Near Field Communication (awesome Googlage makes me look very learned ;)) as you find in things like contact bus-passes. Basically something like Wireless USB. Dunno what protocol, but I'm sure someone will hack it and let us know. :mrgreen:

When I started watching the vid I thought the figures were a pointless gimmick. It'd be a lot easier to change character by just bringing up a menu! But then he explained the self-contained character nature and it made sense, although it is still very gimmicky. Plus there's the possibility of mixing up your character with someone else. Seems very unnecessary, especially as I question Spyro every becoming so widespread people will be meeting up all over the place to play it with their characters. The same tech in Pokemon or Wiisports would be more relevant.

Off on a tangent now, how's about a gamer card that's a physical card with this same tech, that stores you saves and stuff. Go to a friend's house, place your doodad on their console, and access you stats, saves, characters etc.? Incorporated into a system from day one it'd add a strong social-gaming advantage in a very cool and culturally relevant package. Going really future with this, it could have an OLED screen and be customisable just like a Live or PSN player card.

Nah. Electronic. Contact communication. Think tablet PC, only the size of a credit card and a few mm thick (eight of an inch, old money). It'd have your personalised frontend and work as storage for your game experience. Wouldn't need any fancy innards or touch-screen or anything, as it'd just be a gamer-id unit. Actually an eInk display makes more sense as it won't consume power. OLED would look prettier though! When going to friend's you'd just grab your GamerCard off your console (or from next to your console) along with your keys and mobile, get round their house, and put your card on their console. You'd have access to all your characters and saves and permissions to download games - oooo, games could be linked to cards, so you could download them on any machine but need a card present that's bought the game to enable it. That'd provide game sharing for playing with friends without the cannabalised sales that PSN currently has.

Um....Is there a prize for 'most off topic post'? Do I win? :mrgreen:

It saves on the figure. He states that very explicitly from 2 minutes. It'll be using Near Field Communication (awesome Googlage makes me look very learned ;)) as you find in things like contact bus-passes. Basically something like Wireless USB. Dunno what protocol, but I'm sure someone will hack it and let us know. :mrgreen:

Yup, that seems to be the best guess, I heard about it in one of the mobile dev lectures on YouTube once. If it is so, then it is all explainable I guess, how the toys works cross platform and all.

@Shifty: I like your Gamercard Idea a lot. GO patent it or something, cos it solves all problems and works wonders. THen everything could be tied to the card and we don't need limits on how many consoles an account could be activated and what not. As long sa you have the card, you can play ur games on any console.

That's actually pretty cool to hear. Will keep an eye on it although I find the toys a tad gimmicky. May be my son will love it. Who knows.

Just ordered this for my sons birthday along with an additional pack looks all types of fun...I'm kinda hoping he wants to play co-op with me, lol.

They could have titled this game "Skylanders: NavNuc's Adventure" because Spyro is mentioned in the game as much as I am this doesn't take anything away from the game but I truly have no clue why they think a younger generation has any connection to Spyro or for that matter even older generations.

My wife and son played this for three hours straight yesterday...the only reason they stopped is because all the characters had to "rest" (there are no deaths in the game). Game is even better than the videos show can't believe this board is completely ignoring it, its a shame really.

Need some help guys, a crash course into the Skylanders universe..

Skylanders 1 or 2?
How does figures from 1 work with 2?

Which game is the best? 1 or 2?

Should i wait on.. something else?

Planning to get this for my 360 , are there any difference between the 3 versions? Does graphics matter, is it more fun to play with the WII motion? Do i need XBOX live for anything?

Sorry for the question bombardment :)

Back