SkyHD Launched! Pre-order now (UK Only!)

Randell said:
but will it be too late? once the England group matches are over, will I care anymore?

Shut up!! It's the principle!! ;) We really won't get anything by going "oh well, after the England team loses, who cares!"...

We should write to the Queen, i'm telling you. She'd fix it.

I'll probably be able to watch the WC matches in HD without even having to pay SkyIT specifically for it....it's good to have a SAT-enhanced HTPC :D

Crisidelm said:
I'll probably be able to watch the WC matches in HD without even having to pay SkyIT specifically for it....it's good to have a SAT-enhanced HTPC :D

Well yes, everyone "can" watch the BBC channels in HD even here for free, as long as you have the right equipment (cheap too, a 50-quid DVB-something PC card will let u see the whole thing in HD)... But for us, to access the other Sky HD channels, you have to pay.

Speaking of which, what's the HD situation in Italy? Curious about that... Is Sky doing it? Nothing Freeview-like there?

london-boy said:
Well yes, everyone "can" watch the BBC channels in HD even here for free, as long as you have the right equipment (cheap too, a 50-quid DVB-something PC card will let u see the whole thing in HD)... But for us, to access the other Sky HD channels, you have to pay.

Speaking of which, what's the HD situation in Italy? Curious about that... Is Sky doing it? Nothing Freeview-like there?

I wasn't referring to BBC HD channels: SkyIT has launched its own HD offer in May, and CL final was the first event to be broadcast live in HD by SkyIT. What I meant is that it seems you don't need to subscribe to SkyIT HD offer (99€ for Skybox HD rental + 7€ monthly fee starting in September), you just need a SkyIT normal subscription to access SkyIT HD channels too...of course you need a box, but with a HTPC you can watch HD channels no prob :) In fact the CL final was visible with the Basic subscription :D

Crisidelm said:
I wasn't referring to BBC HD channels: SkyIT has launched its own HD offer in May, and CL final was the first event to be broadcast live in HD by SkyIT. What I meant is that it seems you don't need to subscribe to SkyIT HD offer (99€ for Skybox HD rental + 7€ monthly fee starting in September), you just need a SkyIT normal subscription to access SkyIT HD channels too...of course you need a box, but with a HTPC you can watch HD channels no prob :) In fact the CL final was visible with the Basic subscription :D

Oh.. that's a bit... messed up...

Well, here in England the BBC is already broadcasting in HD over the air, so anyone with the right equipment and in the right area can see the WC and other programs in the coming months in HD even without satellite equipment. That's just the BBC though.

The hot rumor here today is Comcast added ESPN2 HD today for WC. Well, Comcast has a PR that says they did "in several markets", but I'm still hunting for the channel here in Minneapolis/St. Paul. The local fishwrap suggested we should be one of the ones who got it.

Edit: Ahhhh, there it is. 203. Schweet. That should mean all of the games are available HD here for us soccer fans (mwahaha, guilt free "soccer" usage!).

\o/ yay it's installed. Engineer came this evening so he could finish tomorrow before the Enger-lund! match.

BBC HD preview of Bleak House is stunning!!

Heard lots of positive comments on the HD broadcast of the matches. Obviously for us brits, even if the HD broadcast could be considered "not good", it would still be a lot prettier than what we've been getting in the last 20 years, so of course the reports are good!

DD was broken, so it was on Stereo, but i'm sure that wasn't a huge problem. Looks like both the BBC and ITV HD broadcasts were very very good in IQ, which is a relief and a very good sign of things to come. I'm sure ITV will cut the bandwidth eventually (or as soon as they WC is over).

Can't wait to move, i might have SkyHD in about 2 months if all goes to plan!!

HD football is excellent. Not so impressed with some of Sky's own HD footage. Coudln't see much difference between Human Trafficking HD and SD.

BBC preview loop is superb as well.

Back