Skiing

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
G'day everyone,

My best friend is going skiing in March and asked me if i want to join him and other friends of ours.
Now, i used to be an ace, i started when i was like 7 years old, and i kept skiing like a pro until i stopped going, at the age of around 12 or so...
I remember how boring the whole initial "learning" process was, so i was a bit skeptical about it when Phil (my friend) asked me to go, cause i really don't want to go through that again...

What do you skiing guys think? I'm not really sure it's "like riding a bike" and i'd hate to go on "holiday" and then have to work relatively hard to "learn again"...

I'd go in a heartbeat if i was sure i could just pop the ski's on and fly away, like i used to. Oh by they way, yes, i used to be one of those tiny little devils you only see the trail of when i was a kid. The very annoying ones who take u over at 892mph purposedly at a 3inch distance. Loved it. I admit it.

I have a friend who goes every year with her family, she recons you never loose the ability but you will take some time to warm up and get used to things again... at least a day.

I took a 5 year hiatus from skiing and all it took was a couple of runs before my legs remembered what to do again. That being said, the new skis with the wider tips and tails make skiing much easier (so I’ve been told). I still use my old 207cm P9’s :oops: .

I expect that we aren't talking Nordic (or cross country, if you prefer the older term.) skiing here, right?

as myself, I have never been up to downhill. But I have let myself to understand (quite excelent way to say this IMO. ;) ) that learning downhill is quite easier than nordic. (I might be wrong here though.) I am not an expert in nordic either, but capable of around 30 km in a day, as long as there's no horry anywhere.

(as a note, nordic skiing has been more popular in finland, though there has been times when downhill was "in", right now, the situation is quite steady and there's ppl that do both, so no more argueing which one is better/more fun.)

And then there's the little fact that when i was going with my granparents (yes, my grampa taught me how to ski), i didn't have to worry about *anything*. Cause grampa was there to make sure the boot things fitted, the skis were the right size and "health", the season tickets for wherever we were going skiing... and all those things i can't really think of...
Now i'd have to DO everything... Oh no i'm already getting a headache... :oops:

Try a couple of sessions at Milton Keynes XScape or the Snow Park in Kent.

You wont be able to get upto those break neck speeds on the super long runs, but they are good for a bit of practice. I usually go for a couple of sessions before I go boarding and it definately helps get you into it after a long break.

l-b, I'm sure you'll be able to pick it right back up straightaway, but the way in which people ski has changed *alot* over the past ten years. I was in a similar situation to you and have pretty much re-learnt over the past couple of holidays. What was cool in the early 90s (legs glued together, heavy pole plant/unload) is not anymore and it doesn't really work with modern skis that are shorter and have a heavy side cut.

You will enjoy the modern "carving" technique once you've mastered it. It's all about maintaining speed through corners (like a slalom skier) and that means you can go seriously fucking fast.

You might also want to pick up a pair of twin-tips and start throwing yourself off stuff. If you don't know what I mean, grab an Oakley-sponsored film called "Session 1242". 8)

MuFu said:
l-b, I'm sure you'll be able to pick it right back up straightaway, but the way in which people ski has changed *alot* over the past ten years. I was in a similar situation to you and have pretty much re-learnt over the past couple of holidays. What was cool in the early 90s (legs glued together, heavy pole plant/unload) is not anymore and it doesn't really work with modern skis that are shorter and have a heavy side cut.

You will enjoy the modern "carving" technique once you've mastered it. It's all about maintaining speed through corners (like a slalom skier) and that means you can go seriously fucking fast.

You might also want to pick up a pair of twin-tips and start throwing yourself off stuff. If you don't know what I mean, grab an Oakley-sponsored film called "Session 1242". 8)

Oh no!!! I LOVED the leg-glued-together thing, it just looked so much more elegant than those elephant-looking people with their legs spread open. :devilish: NOT HAPPY! ;)

We'll see what happens, it would be one hell of a holiday, mainly because of extra-skiing activities...

london-boy said:
What do you skiing guys think? I'm not really sure it's "like riding a bike" and i'd hate to go on "holiday" and then have to work relatively hard to "learn again"...

The skill itself is somewhat like riding a bike - expect to be a bit wobbly at first tho, but the better you were when you quit the easier I expect it to be now. What you need to realize tho is that your LEGS won't be preserved the way they once were... You will get TIRED. And you will ACHE the next day. :p

Other than that, just go ahead and ski your head off and enjoy yourself!
(Ok, don't ski your head off... :))

Guden Oden said:
london-boy said:

The skill itself is somewhat like riding a bike - expect to be a bit wobbly at first tho, but the better you were when you quit the easier I expect it to be now. What you need to realize tho is that your LEGS won't be preserved the way they once were... You will get TIRED. And you will ACHE the next day. :p

Other than that, just go ahead and ski your head off and enjoy yourself!
(Ok, don't ski your head off... :))

Yeah that's my main worry actually, the legs. I mean i havent done anything with my legs for, like, years, apart from gym stuff, which is useless. Mmm that's what u get when u focus on the appereance rather than the fitness i guess.

london-boy said:
Oh no!!! I LOVED the leg-glued-together thing...
I never thought I'd hear that from london-boy ;)

Anyway, on topic. I've never downhill skiied, so I have nothing to say.
I agree on nordic skiing, it's ectremely boring.

london-boy said:
Yeah that's my main worry actually, the legs.
No need to worry THAT much, you won't die. :) Also, going slower can be more entertaining sometimes as it gives you more time to study the surroundings and other people etc....

Mmm that's what u get when u focus on the appereance rather than the fitness i guess.

People usually don't do much static training in a half-crouching position at the gym, no. :p

Back