Serenity trailer is now up!

My favorite quote from the Director's commentaries on the DVD's is Joss talking about Adam Baldwin in the first episode, when he's going to torture the Alliance agent. Baldwin is a biiig guy, and Joss didn't want him to play it over the top. "Listen, don't play 'big'. You don't need to play 'big' --trust me, you're bringing 'big' to the party!"

Baldwin did a nice job on Angel Season 5 (there is a group of people my wife and I talk about as "The Joss Whedon Players", and Baldwin is one of them) too, in a very different role. He's on one of the commentary tracks too --the ep where his character was introduced.

The Baron said:
Natoma said:
Looks like a higher budget "The Fifth Element". Any particular reason why this is special or should be seen above any other special effects laden flick?
The writing is about a thousand times better.
Are you kidding me??

The 5th Element is one of the most Brilliantly written and directed and edited pieces of modern SCifi bar none. I dont see how anyone can think that 5th element is not a masterpiece. At least people who are true SCifi Buffs and into some creative and origional scifi style.

Element is just fantastic. Brilliant. I challenge anyone to actually watch the movie with an eye for detail (let alone the wadds of fun it is naturally). The way the dialoge works together and is knitted together with clever editing and storytelling is simply masterful.

If this movie is 1000x better than it will have to be the best movie ever made.

Khronus said:
The trailer looks really good, definitely has a 5th Element look to it. I had to add Firefly into my netflix queue :D
I just watched the trailer..

If anything it looks like an ultra cheap, bad-unknown actor, low budget chese, cheap garage looking sets, flatly delivered poor acted lines, half baked partial rip off of the 5th element that should have never seen the light of day...

Don't get me wrong--I love Luc Besson, and the visual aspects of the film were excellent. Nikita is one of my favorite movies out there. But the writing in TFE just isn't anywhere near the level of Joss Whedon. TFE is just an action movie. Serenity is not an action movie, despite any appearances to the contrary in the trailer.

Hellbinder said:
Khronus said:
The trailer looks really good, definitely has a 5th Element look to it. I had to add Firefly into my netflix queue :D
I just watched the trailer..

If anything it looks like an ultra cheap, bad-unknown actor, low budget chese, cheap garage looking sets, flatly delivered poor acted lines, half baked partial rip off of the 5th element that should have never seen the light of day...

You're basing your judgement on 60 seconds of trailer, the rest of us are basing our judgement on 10 hours of series. You just don't like the fact that someone said they thought it was better than Fifth Element, which seems to have offended you greatly.

Penny Arcade is about Serenity today...
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

Hellbinder said:
The 5th Element is one of the most Brilliantly written and directed and edited pieces of modern SCifi bar none. I dont see how anyone can think that 5th element is not a masterpiece. At least people who are true SCifi Buffs and into some creative and origional scifi style.
Agreed, the pacing in that movie was damned near perfect.

geo said:
Nice. Looked in the trailer like they've changed River a bit --she's opening up cans of whupass now rather than just cringing.
They were hinting at this in the series also (War Stories in particular), but they obviously never got around to exploring it fully.

And for those wanting the full screen version of the trailer without iTunes: Download it directly from Apple here (40.4MB). Trying to force people into installing more of their shoddy software when it's not needed is just silly. Luckily they're not doing av very good job at it.

hb, dont judge the movie by the trailer. Also note that tfe was a great movie, but the writting wasnt anywhere near as great as you think it was. Take the time to rent/buy the firefly series. Give it an honest shot at enjoying it, and you will be suprised at how great the series was. Youll also enjoy the movie more this way.

epic

Hellbender - do you not get derided enough?

At least watch the series first. TFE was good, but it was on the first step compared to the penthouse that FireFly is living in....

Hellbinder said:
The Baron said:
Natoma said:
Looks like a higher budget "The Fifth Element". Any particular reason why this is special or should be seen above any other special effects laden flick?
The writing is about a thousand times better.
Are you kidding me??

Element is just fantastic. Brilliant. I challenge anyone to actually watch the movie with an eye for detail (let alone the wadds of fun it is naturally). The way the dialoge works together and is knitted together with clever editing and storytelling is simply masterful.

If this movie is 1000x better than it will have to be the best movie ever made.

That made me laugh. Fifth Element is decent, but IMO a very average Scifi movie. It's on par with a Star Wars movie, which to me doesn't mean too much.
________
Marijuana Pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
Back