Searching for 3d graphics library preferably java based to solve my problems

calif

Newcomer
I need a 3d graphics library that is free and Java based for offline ( batch mode) 3d graphics processing ( not gaming application). I need to write programs or scripts that would perform a variety of operations working with the higher level scene graph of the 3d model. Note it must work with well known 3d formats such as 3ds Max (.max files) directly or if not, a way to easily convert to common interchange format and I make reference to this format file in my scripts.

In order to make my question clear I will write 2 use cases for which I need such a library:

(1) Get list of all 3d objects in the given 3d file and output their names and (x,y,z) locations.

(2) place one 3d object as defined in one 3d graphic file into another scene ( obtained from another 3d graphic file) at the specified (x,y,z) location AND render the resulting image in PNG format as well as regenerate the modified graphic file that contains the object that was placed in the main scene.

I am looking for something that is well known library with very good programming documentation for the current release or a programming/scripting book published for the current release.

If Java does not have anything to solve my problem then other library is OK provided it meets the criteria given above.

Note: All graphic processing will go on in CPU and not GPU, so OpenGL or Direct3d is not a requirement.

Help from experienced 3d graphics programmers would be greatly appreciated.

Back