Seagate LD25 Series: The Xbox 360 hard drive.

ERP said:
I think I've had harddrives fail from every single manufacturer. WHen they do break it just sucks though so I sympathise.

I am still installing things, so I am still in curse mode :devilish:

Yeah, it sucks when it does happen. This one is one of those 15k rpm drive, so I didn't expect them to have a long life since there are others previous Seagate that failed on me too, so I had sort of bad experience with them. But reinstalling Windows and all these programs is a pain.

V3 said:
ERP said:
I think I've had harddrives fail from every single manufacturer. WHen they do break it just sucks though so I sympathise.

I am still installing things, so I am still in curse mode :devilish:

Yeah, it sucks when it does happen. This one is one of those 15k rpm drive, so I didn't expect them to have a long life since there are others previous Seagate that failed on me too, so I had sort of bad experience with them. But reinstalling Windows and all these programs is a pain.
so far i've had one segate go ( 2 gig hehe ) and a wd 512 meg drive go on me . Thats it (knocks on every piece of wood he can find )

jvd said:
so far i've had one segate go ( 2 gig hehe ) and a wd 512 meg drive go on me . Thats it (knocks on every piece of wood he can find )

:LOL: I've got to make a Voodoo doll of your current harddrive and stick pin in them :devilish:

V3 said:
jvd said:

:LOL: I've got to make a Voodoo doll of your current harddrive and stick pin in them :devilish:

Nooooo !!!1 (jvd runs to the local home depot and starts knocking on wood , runs out and starts knocking on his head !!! ) ;)

I dont think they'll be using cache loading much, the xbox does have 512mb ram for all the textures and game after all.

randycat99 said:
50 MB/s, eh? 2.5" platter, 5400 rpm, medium density? Does this really add up?

From what i've seen the average notebok drive at 4 700 rpm with 2 meg cache hits 30-60MB/s look at toms quickly .

I don't see why 50MB/s is out of the question , it really depends on how big the data block is

It's nice that this HDD uses fluid bearing(s).

Anyway I've used many different branded HDDs since back when I built my first 486SX PC. I've used Conner, Seagate, Quantum, Fujitsu, WD and Maxtor and none of them have failed on me. The only one that started to make weird noises was one of my Maxtors when it tried to spin up, it made this screeching noise when it couldn't spin up. I'm still currently using that HDD but the SMART detection program doesn't say there's anything wrong with it...strange. :?

jvd said:
randycat99 said:
50 MB/s, eh? 2.5" platter, 5400 rpm, medium density? Does this really add up?

From what i've seen the average notebok drive at 4 700 rpm with 2 meg cache hits 30-60MB/s look at toms quickly .

I don't see why 50MB/s is out of the question , it really depends on how big the data block is

It sounds like the drive is very similar to the one in this
review, except that it has less cache. Given the winbench and application benchmarks for the drive in that review, I wouldn't expect much more than 20-25MB/s sustained on average, with burst rates closer to 35-40MB/s.

Nite_Hawk

Back