Science/Fantasy Fiction - was part of "R J has passed away"

to those of you who already bought The Gathering Storm:
I hate you. Be damned and burn forever :)

Just realized its 10y since I bought Eye of the World by accident and likely will have to wait 1more year for the translation :(

Is it the final Wheel of Time installment?

I dunno, I tried reading those - I mean, I REALLY tried - but by the eight or so volume, I just couldn't put up with the amount of bullshit I was being fed and RJ's feet-dragging in moving the plot along. I suppose the straw that broke the camel's back was when that princess from across the sea was another stubborn stuck-up bitch in a thousand-miles-long row of other stubborn stuck-up bitches (every aes sedai, every aiel female, nynaeve and all the women in Rand's home town etc etc)...

It was supposed to be the final book, but the publishers are splitting it into three novels. So two more to go still, presumably 1 year apart. I've heard a lot happens in this new book, the action really picks up. I read TEotW in spring of 1990, almost 20 years ago, so wouldn't mind seeing this series' conclusion.

Grall pretty much summed Wheel of Time for me, though I don't think I made it past book 6.

OK, I seem to have missed the majority of this thread, so heres a load of quotes:

Guess I am to be grateful that I have never read a book by Kevin J. Anderson. :)

Actually, his 7 book Saga of Seven Suns is quite good. The premise is a bit cheesy (like Capt. Planet) but the pacing is excellent and the twists (even though most are expected) are well handled. I recommend it. It's a fun, easy read.

The Malazan series is very difficult reading for anyone but the hardcore fantasist. I've plodded through the first four and heard a lot of people stall by 5 or 6.

I like to think of myself as a hardcore sci-fi/fantasist, and I gave up on Deadhouse Gates (book2). I have more than 1100 books in this house, and that's the first time I gave up so quickly on a series.

I read Robin Hobb's 9-book Fitz/Liveship series about a year ago. Slow and a little depressing at times, but worth reading.

My main problem with Robin Hobb is that she cannot finish a story. All her books end with "...and then magical faeries made it all OK". The Farseer Trilogy builds up to this awesome ending, and then you realise there's only 5 pages left, and all of a sudden, *** is a *** and saves the day. WTF. Tawny Man Trilogy, 1 chapter left, and suddenly all the protagonists worries are over, and he shacks up with *** and lives happily ever after. WTF. Throughout the previous 6 books, every other sentence you read is "Im so alone", "Im so depressed", "I want to die". Then its all fun and light at the end.

Saying that, it's VERY well written, stylistically. It just doesn't have a very good flow of narrative.

One of my all-time sci-fantasy series that damn few people have even heard of is Julian May's Sage of Pliocene Exile published in the early 80s.

I first read this series when I was about 8, enjoyed it at the time, but have never felt the need to reread it. Given how its based on time travel, there could have been a LOT more to link "the book" to "now", and make it into a revisionist history. A missed opportunity. And yes, that was my feeling even at age 8.

I like Peter F Hamilton's work (sci fi). The Commonwealth saga is great, so is the Night's Dawn trilogy. I really liked the new book too, Into the Void.

Nights Dawn Trilogy suffers from having the WORST 100 opening pages, and the WORST 100 closing pages. The other 3400 pages are sci-fi quality, though could have done with a touch more editing to make the pace a bit better.

The first 100 pages are so lethargic it took me a week to get through them (bear in mind my average read speed is 2ppm). It took me only another week to read the next 3500 pages. And then you get to the end, and like Hobb, Hamilton seems to realise he's forgotten to make up an ending, and all of a sudden, one of the characters is a god, and messes with the actual universe. NO! Just, no no no.

Psionics were more heavily integrated into the Dark Sun campaign world too, something I liked.

Did you know that a level20 Psionic, who then dual classed to be a mage, and got to lvl20, could then start on the road to be a lvl30 Dragon King. We used to play it after school, and we got every single DS quest we could, and merged them into one long 2 year mission. While others just carried on towards lvl30 on a single character, I actually got to lvl25 as a Dragon King, but my character was so OP at that point that we stopped playing. Best and worst ADD experience of my life :cry:

Personal Note: I have now completed my initial drafts of my first three books.

One the 1st book in a 6 part (2 "trilogy") epic (that is already planned out, and my ending is awesome!) called "Futures Relic". This is a blend of Sci-fi / Fantasy.

One is the 1st book in a trilogy called "The Children of the Machine", its purely sci-fi.

The final one is called "Sun Set" and is a standalone novel.

They are all with publishers now, and I'm waiting to see what happens (based on preliminary good news :)). Hopefully before long, I will be a part of this thread. I'll keep you updated.

I've given up on Hamilton too. All his books are variations of the same theme, which is today's society, but with more gadgets (and in the later volumes, more or less immortality).

Personally I don't see why any rational people would colonize a new planet by having the colonists re-invent the wheel and everything that follows every god-damn single time, it just doesn't make SENSE!

Why would anyone that's used to a modern, high-tech life go back to living in wooden shacks connected by mud streets just because building a new industrial base is "expensive", that's completely bizarre! How can it be expensive when he's already established humanity sprawls across an interstellar empire?! There's unfathomable amounts of raw resources available for the taking just floating around out there, and robots that can do all the digging and building. Sheesh. If it's one thing that's going to go out of style once space travel becomes commonplace, it's capitalism...

Add to that, his continuing and irritating fascination with alcohol, drugs and sex. The guy's a fucking pervert, and I'm not forgiving him for making his ONE major gay character EVER a homicidal psychopathic madman either.

Don't give up on the Malazan series. It is great.

I've read the first eight now, waiting for the 9th to be published here in the states in the next few months. It definitely improves, I felt there was more continuity, more understanding of the context in which the events were occurring, as I got deeper into the series. Each book's structure is way too formulaic though, and I've heard the 9th is the same way.

I've read the first eight now, waiting for the 9th to be published here in the states in the next few months. It definitely improves, I felt there was more continuity, more understanding of the context in which the events were occurring, as I got deeper into the series. Each book's structure is way too formulaic though, and I've heard the 9th is the same way.
Yeah, I guess that is a valid criticism, but I like the world and I think Karsa is a bad-ass.

Don't mess with Karsa.

Have you read the two books by Esslemont? Return of the Crimson Guard is very good, I think. The Night of Knives is interesting in a backstory kind of way, but it drags on a bit even though it is short.

The guy's a fucking pervert, and I'm not forgiving him for making his ONE major gay character EVER a homicidal psychopathic madman either.

Hmmm. Not sure about that really. I assume you are talking about the really evil dude from the Night's Dawn trilogy? I didn't take it that he was gay - I thought it was more about him dominating others by sticking his dick anywhere he could.

Admittedly, I've not read one of Hamilton's books, "Misspent Youth", which didn't really appeal to me. I understand that this book contains some appallingly written and cringeworthy sex scenes!

If you've not read them, his Greg Mandel trilogy (I think that was the character's name) are very enjoyable. Mindstar Rising, The Nano Flower and another one whose title eludes me for now.

Back