SCEI & Toshiba unveil 65nm process with eDRAM

What I'm saying is that it does effect framerate rather seriously(well, 15%-30% is common) on nV hardware no matter if there is serious fluctuations in framerate(it has a negative impact on all hardware, but it always has seemed to screw up the nV parts more). Cap Counterstrike @100FPS(I believe it is by default anyway) and compare framerates with a smoke grenade going off(not average, instant) with a NV1X part(as a general example).

When benchmarking, I think its better to cap the fps, to some synch level/or playable frame rate (30 to 120fps), that way, the average won't be misleading. If the hardware is good enough for the game, than the average should be that cap level. If it is below, than there is fluctuation. This is just from games playing perspective IMO.

But for performance level perspective, you don't want to cap it, I guess, cause it will look bad. So when talking my hardware or 3D engine is better than yours, its stupid to put a cap on it :)

Certainly a CELL dedicated to graphics paired with a GS3 would make for some nasty visuals.

Exactly. the main CPU/CELL(s)/EE3 would not have to bother about the graphics. thus NO comprimise between graphics (poly count) and physics/ gameplay, like there is with PS2, where EE has to do both.

(even where 1 VU does geometry/lighting while anther VU+MIPs core+FPU
does gameplay)

BenSkywalker said:
I expect casual gamers not to be able to spot the rather large differences, but not people here.

If they are unable to spot them, then they aren't large differences, indeed- just noticeable to those who are trained to look for a certain thing.

If by 1st tier you mean junk like Dells and Compaqs, yes, they suck. If you are talking about Alienware and the like, then those don't suck(they are actually very well made).

Yes, try convincing your IT manager to equip an entire department from Alienware... :rolleyes: (Not that it would be a bad idea, but just try convincing) ...Or should each individual be called upon to build their own computer for the department? A warm, flowery vision, indeed.

Pretty much, as long as you don't catch a virus(the digitial or user kind ;) ) or have hardware failure, then a well built PC running a non Win9X OS shouldn't have much in the way of problems.

...and don't install anything that could remotely make your computer useful for something. Usually, all goes well, but certainly all bets are off.

Look around these boards and see how many people have issues with their rigs(on the PC forums), and see how many of them they built and have never really had any problems.

That would seem to reinforce that you really need to be a somewhat smart dude to keep your PC in the air. I don't think the people you find here or on a dedicated PC topic site are dummies (even then, there is usually a fairly high traffic PC Help forum on such a website, so what does that say?). ...but they certainly don't represent the average joe on their home PC, either.

Trilinear filtering isn't exactly a current running buzzword feature...

They're all buzzwords. I'm not saying they aren't truly useful for something (especially where presentation on a computer monitor is concerned), but certainly they are trotted out more often than necessary- thus they become buzzwords. It's a big difference between nVidia listing off bulletpoint features explicitly and said bulletpoints not having an easy analogy on a certain Sony-designed part. You could either conclude that said features cannot be done at all or it simply isn't documented what effects are/are not possible. Most people choose the former because mentally it is an easier path. The latter recognizes that there is a certain ambiguity in what Sony's hardware can and cannot do due to its programmable/configurable nature- it only requires that someone does it. The wise stance is simply not to make such a simple comparison between a PS2 GS and a GF1 on bulletpoints alone, unless your actual goal is to purposely introduce FUD.

If the GS had the raster feature set of the GF1 there would be virtually no difference between it and the currently best looking XBox titles available.

Theoretically, NFSHP2 PS2 should never have looked better than NFSHP2 Xbox...

It really doesn't though. The PS2 can't compete looking at its best titles vs the XBox's best.

It's all subjective, ultimately, if you are evaluating said titles on overall presentation, not just noting if you can see xyz feature being used or not.

Throw Doom3 at the PS2 ;)

Unfortunately, that in of itself is becoming a popular buzzword (or mantra, if you prefer). It's more of a question of "is someone willing to rewrite the code completely around a PS2", not "does JC think his game can be done on PS2". You should know that, but it is easier to believe the latter, of course. If it weren't for this one little game, you would just be searching for another game to conveniently make such a claim.

You really think the PS2 is competitive with the XBox in terms of visuals? I expect casual gamers not to be able to spot the rather large differences, but not people here.
Art, style and polish are more important and effective looking than extra effects to many people.

Realtime on what, a GSCube(isn't that its name?)
I guess you'll be eating your words come spring 2003. SH3 developers have confirmed that all of the visuals from the released trailer (which includes scenes from those captures) are realtime rendered on PS2. People have already played the demo on the TGS, and also confirmed it.

Sure the game is not antialiased like these caps, but the practice of releasing supersampled shots is nothing new.[/quote]

Run the game at 640x480(which I have mentioned numerous times, using console res ) and see how it plays on a GF1
There's 2x T&L speed increment there too.
Not to mention that GF2 will benefit a lot from lower resolutions too - both cards are just pathetic in terms of effective fillrate.

Throw Doom3 at the PS2
It should still run a lot better then on a GF1. Especially if GF1 was running it on a 300mhz P3, to even the playing field.

Btw, care to elaborate what doesn't look realtime on that SH3 shot? :) I mean you must have an argument to support the assertion if you're so sure about it (other then high resolution which has been used countless times for promotional purposes on all consoles, still using realtime imagery).

You really think the PS2 is competitive with the XBox in terms of visuals? I expect casual gamers not to be able to spot the rather large differences, but not people here.

hmmm....

it didn't appear to look significantly better to the top ps2 titles in either IQ or geometry

Dude i didn't say ps2 was on par with xbox's best... I said splinter cell doesn't look THAT FAR AHEAD of the current top ps2 titles... I mean if the polycounts were REALLY HIGH and the IQ metroid clean... I wouldn't be arguing... but from what i glanced it did not appear to be so.

Now i've heard of ps2 ingame models up to about 20000 at 60fps, and i've seen some really clean IQ out of it... To truly be SIGNIFICANTLY ahead in this area i'd expect at least several fold increase in geometry(heck if we see Soul Calibur... and games with a 10X geometry increase are say'd to only look marginally better....), and some nasty good IQ....

Realtime on what, a GSCube(isn't that its name?)?

U say ps2 is not competitive and then u go and say something like this!!! Go figure...(This is konami i doubt the IQ will be worse than say MGS2 in cutscenes... i mean it's been a yr...) Now af many have say'd true the REZ and the AA will not be up to par with this image... but if we're running at 640xrez in GF1 to get perf... i guess it's only fair this be the case for ps2 too....

BTW i think that by the end of the ps2's lifespan similar models might be sported ingame.

Ben-

Since most of your answers have already been replied to, I'll just comment on this part:

GTA3 doesn't run smooth on a PS2 either

Well, we weren't exactly comparing GTA3 as this game certainly does not do the hardware any justice. If anything, we were comparing the Getaway to Mafia and I still think that comparing the outside locations, these games are equal impressive taking everything into account (from what I have seen and played IMO).

Also as I already said, we don't know how much the Getaway is pulling out of the PS2 hardware. IMO there are better looking games. Perhaps if we waited until the end of PS2 lifespan would we truly see what is possible on the machine and what not. :-?

Could someone explain to me, why to compare GS Vs GF1?

Did Sony tried to clone a GF1/2? No.

From what I read here, Sony created something different.
Sony's design is flexible, even scalable (featurewise).

Does it deliver? Definitely:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/28441.html
The PlayStation 2 continues to dominate hardware sales in the UK, with over 90,000 units of the console sold in the last week of November - three times the sales of Xbox and GameCube combined, and well on track to hit Sony's ambitious installed base projections for the end of the year.

I like the way the PS2 shows some character. Not having every feature hardwired is maybe even a good thing ... how much innovation do you expect from a developer, that relies his work on given features/libs (IQ/SFXwise)? IMHO not much. Some time ago I assumed ZOE2/SH3 impossible. Could you remember the last time the X-Box or the GC surprised you this way?

V3-

When benchmarking, I think its better to cap the fps, to some synch level/or playable frame rate (30 to 120fps), that way, the average won't be misleading. If the hardware is good enough for the game, than the average should be that cap level. If it is below, than there is fluctuation. This is just from games playing perspective IMO.

Say you cap the framerate at 60FPS synched and the system you are testing is capable of drawing every single frame at 1/59th of a second, your framerate ends up 30. There really is a good reason that VSync is disabled when testing(and for most people here at least, when playing).

Randy-

If they are unable to spot them, then they aren't large differences, indeed- just noticeable to those who are trained to look for a certain thing.

Casuals chew up crap games and rave about them all the time(was talking to some guys at work who were blown away by how 'great' MOH Frontline was). Casuals notice a minor difference between running games at 640x480 and 1600x1200. They definitely miss a lot of big differences.

Yes, try convincing your IT manager to equip an entire department from Alienware...

Most of our machines start off life as Compaqs(ProLiants), and are then overhauled prior to being placed on the network(RAM is ususally upgraded, HD formatted and a proper/custom OS install done). We have about one IT guy for every three hundred computers at the company I work for, and most of their time is spent dealing with the POS OS2(old junk that needs to be replaced) and Linux(new custom IBM on their own sub WAN, constant server issues, last time they go with Big Blue ;) ) machines. The Windows PCs don't have any real problems.

...and don't install anything that could remotely make your computer useful for something. Usually, all goes well, but certainly all bets are off.

Our machines at work have all the software installed that they need. Our newest addition is actually over a year old, a Win2K Compaq server(Compaq actually makes some nice servers)- it hasn't gone down or had any issues yet. Doesn't even have a KB/Mouse or monitor hooked up, although that is the norm for most of our servers(except the OS2 boxes, they crash all the time, once a month at least).

That would seem to reinforce that you really need to be a somewhat smart dude to keep your PC in the air. I don't think the people you find here or on a dedicated PC topic site are dummies (even then, there is usually a fairly high traffic PC Help forum on such a website, so what does that say?). ...but they certainly don't represent the average joe on their home PC, either.

Buy an Alienware and it is all taken care of for you.

They're all buzzwords. I'm not saying they aren't truly useful for something (especially where presentation on a computer monitor is concerned), but certainly they are trotted out more often than necessary- thus they become buzzwords.

Trilinear? We are talking about a 1998 feature that eliminates the very noticeable and annoying mip banding artifacts. Every current piece of hardware supports it one way or another. The problem is that some hardware doesn't support it in a 'friendly' fashion.

It's a big difference between nVidia listing off bulletpoint features explicitly and said bulletpoints not having an easy analogy on a certain Sony-designed part. You could either conclude that said features cannot be done at all or it simply isn't documented what effects are/are not possible.

The GS can do tri, and for conversations on what exactly the PS2 can and can't do, Faf is here to set us straight whenever we have something confused on that end :)

The wise stance is simply not to make such a simple comparison between a PS2 GS and a GF1 on bulletpoints alone, unless your actual goal is to purposely introduce FUD.

FUD here? The average IQ of these boards is likely in the 150 range, and pretty much everyone here has a decent amount more then a basic understanding of what is what in the 3D market(actually, far more then basic for the overwhelming majority). You say anything out of line here, and you will be called on it. Simply look at this thread ;)

It's all subjective, ultimately, if you are evaluating said titles on overall presentation, not just noting if you can see xyz feature being used or not.

Given this is a discussion on the tech end, I am discussing things on the tech end :)

It's more of a question of "is someone willing to rewrite the code completely around a PS2", not "does JC think his game can be done on PS2". You should know that, but it is easier to believe the latter, of course. If it weren't for this one little game, you would just be searching for another game to conveniently make such a claim.

I don't think so. I use Doom3 because it is pretty much the worst case scenario for what the PS2 was designed for, and it happens to be the best looking title on the horizon(not to mention Carmack has explicitly stated that the game was built around what was possible with a GF1).

Marco-

Art, style and polish are more important and effective looking than extra effects to many people.

I agree, given they are both the same level the XB will come out ahead though.

Sure the game is not antialiased like these caps, but the practice of releasing supersampled shots is nothing new.

And when those screenshots show up, they are dismissed as not being real time. This was the case for Rogue Leader and it was the case for PanzerDragoon, it has nothing to do with it being a PS2 game.

Faf-

There's 2x T&L speed increment there too.
Not to mention that GF2 will benefit a lot from lower resolutions too - both cards are just pathetic in terms of effective fillrate.

Core clock has no noticeable impact at low res on Mafia. I've run my GF2(Gainward Pro450) up to 230 and down to 150 with no noticeable difference.

It should still run a lot better then on a GF1. Especially if GF1 was running it on a 300mhz P3, to even the playing field.

Well if you paired it with a Pentium 2 300(they never made a P3 300) then obviously that would change things. How would you go about getting all of the shader effects in D3 to run on the PS2? Very interested to hear that.

I mean you must have an argument to support the assertion if you're so sure about it (other then high resolution which has been used countless times for promotional purposes on all consoles, still using realtime imagery).

AA. As I already mentioned, neither RL nor PD got off when F5 or Sega pulled the same stunt.

Zidane-

Now i've heard of ps2 ingame models up to about 20000 at 60fps, and i've seen some really clean IQ out of it... To truly be SIGNIFICANTLY ahead in this area i'd expect at least several fold increase in geometry(heck if we see Soul Calibur... and games with a 10X geometry increase are say'd to only look marginally better....), and some nasty good IQ....

The entire package, not just the poly counts. You can go ahead and check, I've never argued that the PS2 isn't very strong in geometry throughput ;)

Now af many have say'd true the REZ and the AA will not be up to par with this image... but if we're running at 640xrez in GF1 to get perf... i guess it's only fair this be the case for ps2 too....

640x480 with no AA is natural for the PS2, that is why I said to use it for the GF1. Show me the PS2 running 640x480 using 6x-8x AA running the title in real time and I'll admit I was wrong, hell I'll go buy a PS2 and the game too ;)

Phil-

Well, we weren't exactly comparing GTA3 as this game certainly does not do the hardware any justice.

It was a PS2 native game ported to the PC, where it runs better on GF1 hardware.

If anything, we were comparing the Getaway to Mafia and I still think that comparing the outside locations, these games are equal impressive taking everything into account (from what I have seen and played IMO).

I don't see it. The poly counts are comparable, that's all I see that is on equal ground.

ChryZ-

Could someone explain to me, why to compare GS Vs GF1?

Design philosophy. BTW- The Register ranks with the Enquirer in terms of credibility- next to none.

even if i'm not ever impressed w/ their articles about the graphics technology, i find the inquirer an interesting site.

at the contrary of most news site, they often come with original and interesting content.
and i like their style.

the register became worse and worse since mike magee left.

i value it a lot more than what tomshardware became.

The entire package, not just the poly counts. You can go ahead and check, I've never argued that the PS2 isn't very strong in geometry throughput

Well i said polycounts and IQ, and i did it to showcase that the Xbox is ahead primarily in textures and pixel effects, and that the ps2 does not lag behind too much in many areas... and so a gpu that is 1/8th the xbox CANNOT POSSIBLY COMPETE...
Ooh... If ur talking about pixel shader effects, and per pixel lighting i didn't know the GF1 could do those...
Again if the xbox held a so called blow ur mind a way difference to the other consoles, I would not argue... but in many areas it's not that far ahead.

640x480 with no AA is natural for the PS2, that is why I said to use it for the GF1. Show me the PS2 running 640x480 using 6x-8x AA running the title in real time and I'll admit I was wrong, hell I'll go buy a PS2 and the game too

The TV does give some free AA, not to mention there is likely to be some form of AA also coming from the system... and anyway I'm not focusing on AA...
What I'm trying to say is that the Old guy cutscene is likely to look quite clean on a TV, and that Aliasing is not likely to be a mayor problem, furthermore since the Gf1 should be allowed to run at 640rez that is neither a prob...
Thus the only difference between the pic and the final ps2 product(the AA, rez enhancement.) are not that relevant... which makes me question why'd u'd say ps2 couldn't render it and a GScube would be needed...

Core clock has no noticeable impact at low res on Mafia. I've run my GF2(Gainward Pro450) up to 230 and down to 150 with no noticeable difference.
Must be very CPU limited title thenl. Most stuff I run on my GF2 varies in fps greatly just by changing window size.

Well if you paired it with a Pentium 2 300(they never made a P3 300) then obviously that would change things.
You can always downclock ;) Actually I doubt the CPU would make a whole lot difference, since the card would be the choking point. (ok, with 300mhz cpu maybe not, but that was just to illustrate a point).

How would you go about getting all of the shader effects in D3 to run on the PS2? Very interested to hear that.
Bah, we're targetting like ~5fps to beat GF1, so it's hardly realtime rendering anymore :D
Ok, on a bit more serious note, DOT3 emulation may not be particularly fast/efficient, but we're talking about competing with a chip with 2.5 less theoretical fill.
This before counting the heavy use of shadow volumes, where PS2 is several leagues beyond what GF1 can do, and then some.

AA. As I already mentioned, neither RL nor PD got off when F5 or Sega pulled the same stunt.
Well it's still realtime rendered, even if it was taken at 4x resolution and downsampled in photoshop. Take one of the hi-res shots of our game and see the AA you get after bicubic downsample. Same thing.

640x480 with no AA is natural for the PS2, that is why I said to use it for the GF1. Show me the PS2 running 640x480 using 6x-8x AA running the title in real time and I'll admit I was wrong, hell I'll go buy a PS2 and the game too

The cleanest PS2 games that I know of are Tekken Tag Tournament (obviously American NTSC or PAL version) and Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance. Burnout 2 has a very clean output aswell which doesn't seem to have any aliasing at all either. Same goes for Tekken 4, although you'd have to set the settings to 480p out.

Don't ask me though how many times AA is applied to those titles though. What I can say though is that the first 2 mentioned titles have absolutely no aliasing (at least not on 3 different TVs that I have played them on).

There really is a good reason that VSync is disabled when testing(and for most people here at least, when playing).
Maybe for testing, but the games on PC become tearing hell with VSYNC disabled :\

I agree, given they are both the same level the XB will come out ahead though.
True. However, there are effects, like those used in MGS2 which seem to be so PS2 frinedly that Xbox chokes on them quite a bit (then again, it can be just a bad port)

Casuals chew up crap games and rave about them all the time(was talking to some guys at work who were blown away by how 'great' MOH Frontline was).
Frontline has very atmospheric and cinematic beginning. The stuff that is going on around you is quite impressive indeed. Heck *I* was impressed how well they pulled off that kind of atmosphere, and I've seen way more games than that guy. Not everyone looks the games through texture resolutions and anisotropic filtering used ;)

It was a PS2 native game ported to the PC, where it runs better on GF1 hardware.
It's in no way 'native' to PS2. It was made using renderware which is as generic as middleware can be. Besides, the game runs worse on my PC than it does on PS2, and I can't imagine it being any faster on machines with GF1.

It's in no way 'native' to PS2. It was made using renderware which is as generic as middleware can be.

I wouldn't be too harsh on Renderware, Criterion's done a pretty good job of improving it over the years. I also wouldn't refer to it as "generic as middle ware can be" as a middleware API platform's performance is largely dictated by it's backend...

Argh! PS2 might be old crapware, but why the need to compare it with GF1?

I have a GF2MX, which is around GF1 performance and Rallisport Challenge looks like crap(at lowest settings), much worse than GT3, and i still cannot get a stable 30fps.
CPU is at 1Ghz and i have 512mb of DDR.

GF1 might have DOT3 and better texture filtering than PS2, but its performance sucks. Not to mention all those cool cinematic effects PS2 is capable of.

Whats with the mafia love? Its a frickin PC game where the developers have tons of VRAM to play around with. PC textures will always own PS2 textures.
Anyway, SH2 PC will be out soon. You can try that with your beloved GF1. And dont forget MGS2 PC next year. ;)

:oops:

wouldn't be too harsh on Renderware, Criterion's done a pretty good job of improving it over the years.
Well, true, Burnout 2 looks ace, but for that game they made custom graphics engine and didn't really used renderware for it in the sense it was used for GTA3/VC, as far as I know.

Back