SCE Joins Stanford's Folding@home Program (B3D ID=32377)

We'll find out how many % of PS3 owners are geeks.

Count me in, I just started my ps3 on a work unit :) This is very cool, what a great use of the PS3's cpu brawn. I wish you could make the molecules it draws in the lower right corner be full screen.

Count me in, I just started my ps3 on a work unit :) This is very cool, what a great use of the PS3's cpu brawn. I wish you could make the molecules it draws in the lower right corner be full screen.
You can, press the buttons on your controller...forget which one does it.

Do you still remember the link ? I know xbd/Carl mentioned it in this thread but it would be great if we can find more references.

Meanwhile... we achieved 403 TFLOP with 16464 PS3s.

It was mentioned in a thread on the Folding@home forum. (sorry I cant' remember which :oops:)

I think ~17k PS3 users is a incredible start, but I do wonder how long the rapid uptake will last, and what sort of impact the sunday night fold-a-thon will have. Although if you were interested in folding, wouldn't you check it out before sunday? I would :yep2:

Crossbar said:
I doubt they will allow third part apps to run in parallel with film movies

I think it's more like a 2nd party deal, maybe 1st party even, depending on who did what...:sleep:. And it was Sony who made the initial enquirery to Stanford, I feel like it's only a matter of time.

Noam Rimon said:
“We were looking into the PlayStation 3, researching a little about the Cell processor and what it can do beyond games. One of the projects that caught my eye was folding. There's something about having something nicely shown on the screen, and something that's in the interest of the public. So I contacted Vijay through the Internet and saw that there were already discussions of doing this on consoles,â€￾ said Rimon. “I thought it would be a very good match.â€￾

It is not surprising if only 1% of people use PS3 actively for folding. I'm trying to see at what point the TFLOP number will plateau once the novelty wears off.

I really hope they can get a much higher %, especially for the long term. Imagine if Folding@Home becomes a habit for 10+%, in 3 or 4 years that could lead to insane increase in TFLOPS for them :runaway:

I think ~17k PS3 users is a incredible start, but I do wonder how long the rapid uptake will last, and what sort of impact the sunday night fold-a-thon will have. Although if you were interested in folding, wouldn't you check it out before sunday? I would :yep2:

Since the active measurement is based on 2 days (for PS3), I think folders will participate in fold-a-thon just to hit some large numbers.

I really hope they can get a much higher %, especially for the long term. Imagine if Folding@Home becomes a habit for 10+%, in 3 or 4 years that could lead to insane increase in TFLOPS for them :runaway:

They should have higher than 1% in terms of geekhood ratio (because we are still in early adoptor range), but not everyone will leave their expensive PS3 running all day/weeks. F@H is also not the primary purpose of a PS3 (people want to play games/music/movie !), plus it only starts after at least 10 minute of idle time and, unlike real screensavers, is a little troublesome to quit, so some may turn autoexec off eventually.

1% (sometimes lower, sometimes higher) can be used for estimating untargeted conversion. So it might turn out to be the right number. I don't know.

And it was Sony who made the initial enquirery to Stanford, I feel like it's only a matter of time.

Thinking about, I find it pretty amazing!

Sony must be pretty confident about the build quality of their system. Imagine all units running 24-7 at close to maximum stress with the fan working continuously. It must in the end cost Sony a few more extra replacement units.
This feature comes at prize, but obviously Sony feel confident at bearing that cost. I think that is a good sign.

I wonder if similar services will turn up on the competing consoles?

it only starts after at least 10 minute of idle time and, unlike real screensavers, is a little troublesome to quit, so some may turn autoexec off eventually.

1% (sometimes lower, sometimes higher) can be used for estimating untargeted conversion. So it might turn out to be the right number. I don't know.

Maybe those are the sort of thing's they'll tweek over time? It seems, from the Stanford forum, that they are working quite closely on the clients front end/usability. In the case sited, going as far to fix the number of characters for the user name, if they're willing to do that, I think chances are good they'll continue to polish it all round.

What do you have to through to quit the client?

Well, yeah, no one knows <looks for 'broken-crystal-ball-smilie>, but don't you think it'd be -really great- to have something that could contribute on such a large scale? Although if PS3 gets anywhere near PS2 numbers I think even ~1% would provide 'wow' TFLOPS, but more's always better, right?

There are two ways to quit the client. The standard PS3 Home button menu and select quit or hitting Triangle and bringing up the menu and selecting quit.

I can see people continuing to run the client because it has a very clean and polished feel to it. The slowly spinning globe with the lights for other clients is very beautiful. Also once you have it set as your screensaver I can see that will at least keep you running it here and there even if you have stopped with the huge folding sessions that many people are doing now.

If there was one interface change I would like to see it would be that if the client starts in screensaver mode that it just exits on any input - or at least an option to have it do that.

Since the active measurement is based on 2 days (for PS3), I think folders will participate in fold-a-thon just to hit some large numbers.
This is a good possibility.
Imagine being part of a multipetaflop planetary effort.

Thinking about, I find it pretty amazing!

Sony must be pretty confident about the build quality of their system. Imagine all units running 24-7 at close to maximum stress with the fan working continuously. It must in the end cost Sony a few more extra replacement units.
This feature comes at prize, but obviously Sony feel confident at bearing that cost. I think that is a good sign.
My guess Sony is pretty confident of the robustness of their console technology and expect statistically minimal problems.

I wonder if similar services will turn up on the competing consoles?
If MS try something like that they will burn 1 third of their consoles :LOL:

Here's some mindless statistics for you

PC Folding :
~ 1 Gflop per CPU
Maximum power if all users active = 1600 TFlops

GPU folding :
~ 60 GFlops per GPU
Maximum power if all users active = 130 TFlops

PS3 folding :
~ 25 GFlops per CPU
Maximum power if all users active = 550 TFlops
  • The PC would win out in a concerted effort through sheer numbers.
  • GPUs only need to sell half as many as PS3s to match performance. When current top GPUs become common place (5 years??) the potential GPU increase could be massive.
  • PS3 needs to attract 64,000 users to match PC's current peak.
  • If just 1% of the current PS3 userbase got involved, that'd be about 300,000 PS3s, and 7.5 Petaflops :oops: . If this thing became active across all PS3s...

The GPU numbers are skewed though by only doing certain types of calculations right?

Here's some mindless statistics for you

PC Folding :
~ 1 Gflop per CPU
Maximum power if all users active = 1600 TFlops

GPU folding :
~ 60 GFlops per GPU
Maximum power if all users active = 130 TFlops

PS3 folding :
~ 25 GFlops per CPU
Maximum power if all users active = 550 TFlops
  • The PC would win out in a concerted effort through sheer numbers.
  • GPUs only need to sell half as many as PS3s to match performance. When current top GPUs become common place (5 years??) the potential GPU increase could be massive.
  • PS3 needs to attract 64,000 users to match PC's current peak.
  • If just 1% of the current PS3 userbase got involved, that'd be about 300,000 PS3s, and 7.5 Petaflops :oops: . If this thing became active across all PS3s...

There's 30 million PS3s out there? News to me.

Back