Saddam dead?

Vince said:
(hint: Lets think like big people, which appearently some of us can't)

Gorsh. I feel like I've been admonished. Vince, do you have to be combative in every conversation you have?

Al-Samooud (or some similar spelling) basically an Iraq derived scud.

Listening to that speech however I'm wondering if it's pre-recorded...

SCUD is a particular type of surface to surface missile, but its becoming a "household name", like kleenex, or q-tips. Mostly because reporters are morons.

Iraq likely has very very few scuds, if any at all. Its likely all of their missiles are smaller missiles with shorter ranges and less payload. (Even the Al Samoud II missile that was recently in the news was smaller than a SCUD).

The ones launched at Kuwait last night were "Al Fatah" missiles, if CNN is to believed and my memory serves me well.

I61122-2003Mar20

Alot of news sites are questioning whether or not sadam is really alive.
later,

The man just got bombed out of bed at four in the morning. You can forgive not having time to put his contact lenses in before going on national TV, can't you?

As much as I'd prefer him to be dead, they look like the same person to me.

His lower lip in both pictures has an odd right to left downward slant, the skin on his neck follows the same folding pattern, also.

It looks like the person on the left is heavier, but depending on the difference of the lenses between the two shots, that's just an illusion.

But, you won't find me crying if I'm wrong. :)

I once to a bar in the middle of nowhere in Zimbabwe, that went by the name of SCUD, they also had a beer with the same name. Tasted like elephants ****. :?

RussSchultz said:
As much as I'd prefer him to be dead, they look like the same person to me.

His lower lip in both pictures has an odd right to left downward slant, the skin on his neck follows the same folding pattern, also.

It looks like the person on the left is heavier, but depending on the difference of the lenses between the two shots, that's just an illusion.

But, you won't find me crying if I'm wrong. :)

I notice alot of the features you mentioned, but wouldnt plastic surgery also explain the similarities. What will really tell whether or not this is really saddam will be analyzing the voice from the address against known saddam audio.

later,

but if they did that they would have the answer; then the topic would be outdated and they would have to find something else to talk about. :?

I'm flipping between all the news cahannels, and CNN, FOXNews, and ABC are telling reports that senior members in Saddam's Republican Guard have made it known that they wish to surrender. Now, I have no idea if Saddam is still alive or not, but this may indicate that he is dead. I don't want to jump to conclusions or anything, but...... At any rate, it's an interesting development.

What do you all think?

Hopefully true, but who knows at this point. I would not be surprised if those reports were part of the psychological campaign, assuming that Iraqis still have access to various media. ie. if you were a soldier in the Iraqi army and you heard on the radio (say Voice of America, or whatever) that high ranking officials were surrendering, that might encourage you to do the same. Not a bad strategy if that is the case.

i disagree PurplePigeon, i have never considered deception to be a good strategy; it can be effective but i still do not consider it good.

Do you mean "good" in the sense of moral correctness? If so, fair enough. My comments were intended to convey the idea of "effectiveness" of the end result rather than a moral judgement.

understood, but i am under the impression that doing good leads us to good and doing otherwise only leads us further way; hence the "end result" of such things like deception is far from good. also i do know the old argument about the end justifying the means, but i do not find much truth in it.

Vince said:
Another example would be Hitler and his invasion of the Soviet Union in '41 based on nothing but his deep ideological hatred of Communism and Stalin.

actually... it has been claimed that Hitler under estimated the red army based on the results of war that went over during extremely cold winter 1939-1940 almost on the edge of the northern europe... but no one remembers that war... it has been ruled over by bigger ones with bigger players...

I would not be surprised if those reports were part of the psychological campaign, assuming that Iraqis still have access to various media. ie. if you were a soldier in the Iraqi army and you heard on the radio (say Voice of America, or whatever) that high ranking officials were surrendering, that might encourage you to do the same.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I think that would be a good strategy, albeit a deceptive one. The more Iraqi soldiers that lay down their arms in surrender, the more will live to tell the tale. I don't see anything morally objectable in that. It would be a life saving strategy.

lying, that is what is morally objectionable to me. i don't care if it is done with the intent to save lives, ot fill a child's heart with anticipation of Santa Clause, or whatever; i still do not support such things.

Back