Saddam dead?

Military intelligence: it's an oxymoron, right? These are the same geniuses who came up with moronic plans like Market Garden, and dozens of others that turned into a disaster. From the second I heard about this strike, I knew they wouldn't get Saddam.

I mean, that means they'd actually have to do something right? Which, of course, would mean the military would actually have to find some way to recruit people an IQ higher than 80.

Nagorak said:
Military intelligence: it's an oxymoron, right? These are the same geniuses who came up with moronic plans like Market Garden, and dozens of others that turned into a disaster. From the second I heard about this strike, I knew they wouldn't get Saddam.

Cute, but ultimatly wrong. I realize in many circles, attempting this dry humor like the above oxymoron is cool, or cute - it's hardly correct.

Infact, Market Garden (your example) was a brilliant plan which had the potential to end the war around 6 months sooner. If this would have happened, the post-war world would have been vastly diffrent. IIRC, the error - as what often happens with that whole fog-of-war thing (you know, the thing you've seen when playing on the computer) is that military concentrations are hard to locate with total definity. And in this case, the Allied forces landed right into the middle of two SS panzer divisions

I mean, that means they'd actually have to do something right? Which, of course, would mean the military would actually have to find some way to recruit people an IQ higher than 80.

This is classic. I'm sure you're IQ is just so amazingly superior to the men and women who've graduated in the top-10 from West Point or Annapolis. Ohh, wait... no.

Nothing like monday-morning quarterbacks who've last played in grade-school during lunch. :rolleyes:

PS. I'm watching the Army's 7th cavlery (mechanized) fly across Iraq towards Basra unopposed right now on CNN. Ohh, and we're negotiating a surrender of the Republican Guard. If anything, this whole operation has been brilliantly planned and executed thus far, the phychological aspects (eg. Shock and Awe, et al) are sheer genious. I'm guessing there not so dumb, huh?

nope no kids of my own yet. but from the ones i have seen raised without such deception, it looks like a good plan to me.

Have you ever thought that these fairy tales we tell our kids are a way of teaching them skepticism? If everything you ever tell your kid is the absolute truth, they will never learn to question authority. When they find out that Santa Claus isn't real, perhaps they'll start to question whether Jesus is real. I've been an atheist from a very young age because of this.

Moreover, myth serves other functions as well. If you attempt to deprive your child of myth, I think you are depriving them of one of the great human cultural gifts.

You need to spend some time reading Joseph Campbell.

Kids grow and learn best by using the imaginary, that's not just opinion. They play with imaginary friends and events, it teaches them very useful social skills and helps builds their personality for the future. Fairy tales and other similar tales are more useful than pure fact as they understand them better.

Give a young child a load of toys and they will more than likely play with the boxes. why? Because by using their imagination (nutured as a result of exposure to events such as xmas etc) they learn better.

By denying them opportunites to express their imagination and deny them expectations such as Xmas, easter etc you are denying them a fundamental part of their growing process. In effect they lose out by a significant amount.

Then there's Democoders' religion aspect, through imagination they learn to question the world about them from a much more balanced perspective.

As I said you don't really understand kids.

wasnt sure where to post this image, you might see it in one or two other threads. :)

liberate4.jpg

and dancing in the street.

liberate3.jpg

[sarcasm]I guess the Iraqi people really hate the US invaders.[/sarcasm]
[sarcasm]I guess the Iraqi people really are scared of us.[/sarcasm]
[sarcasm]I guess the millions of Iraqi people are dead from all the bombing.[/sarcasm]

I might start a thread with all the wild predictions from the antiwar posters here.

later,

DemoCoder, i have seen that it is better to teach kids that myth is just what it is, and there is plenty of authority for them to question without their parents behaving questionably. also, Heathen, i know imagination is an important part of a child life, but they have those things on their own; there is no need to trick them into such things. also, i was never suggesting depriving a child of Christmas, Easter or anything but being deceived by their own blood. also, while i have not had children of my own; i have played a part in the lives of many though out my adulthood and i have seen much good come out of the ones raised with the methods i outlined above. as i said, you don't really understand that world does not revolve just how you think it should. the concept of "more than one way" applies to more than just skinning cats. ;)

Back