Rumours that ATI will acquire XGI

I think they`re doing a whole lot better in China, rather then in Taiwan, peculiar as that might seem. As for a coherent reason for doing it...:|

I think, that Trident has some interesting technologies and patents... low power drain, technologies for transistors savings, silhouette AA and possibly something related with tile based or deferred rendering.

no-X said:
I think, that Trident has some interesting technologies and patents... low power drain, technologies for transistors savings, silhouette AA and possibly something related with tile based or deferred rendering.

Trident held a license for Microsoft's Talisman. I wouldn't even mention that one in a serious sense.

Maybe those are just are rumours without any reality basis what so ever?

(come on, everyone must remember rumour from years back where ATI was buying Matrox, because M was said to be in trouble. It was disccussed even here, though majority knew M being a privately owned company.)

I think someone had huge pile of XGI stocks laying around and wants to get rid of them, so he spreads the rumour like this and whoopsie, the stock value sky rockets for a moment.

Erm ATI's algorithms in video decoding are more advanced than anything XGI have.
Anyway I agree with Vysev and nappe1.

serenity said:
Down for me too.

My catty remark was that they got 40 hits yesterday instead of the usual 5, due to the rumors --and their ISP shut 'em down for going over their plan limit! :p

Their FTP seems to be down as well, so you may be on to something there:D

geo said:
My catty remark was that they got 40 hits yesterday instead of the usual 5, due to the rumors --and their ISP shut 'em down for going over their plan limit! :p
lol :LOL:

Phoronix have commented on the rumour, revealing some details on XGI's approach to the GNU/Linux community while suggesting that if the rumour is true, XGI could possibly form the basis for ATI's future server/thin client strategy. Thanks to the Tech Report for the link.

Phoronix said:
...Could XGI be ATI's future server department? With XGI's current server and embedded products, XGI could theoretically serve quite well as the server branch for ATI. Speaking of which, an official from the server-oriented Tyan had also told Phoronix "XGI being a new player holds a lot of promise through their current and upcoming product line, and I think they are the only competition to ATI at this point". While this may be a bit of forward thinking, this corporate strategy could spawn improved drivers for both of the companies. We will certainly pass along additional public information on these matters upon receiving them and are working on tapping extra information from our contacts...

Well maybe on the linux side but I have seen very few servers that ship without a ATi chip in them.
In terms of name they(Ati) would have to be the biggest name in that space so I don't see replacing Ati with XGI as useful.

So they read Kombatant's rant at DH re Linux drivers and panicked? :LOL: Damn, I've heard that both IHV's follow community feedback closely, but that seems a little too quick action. :p

geo said:
So they read Kombatant's rant at DH re Linux drivers and panicked? :LOL: Damn, I've heard that both IHV's follow community feedback closely, but that seems a little too quick action. :p
So that's what this fuss was about? :p

I was under the impression 3D was the problem with ATI under Linux, something those onboard Rage chips are unlikely to run into.

Back