Rumor: Possible additions to the Xbox Backwards compatibility list. Edit: Dev Mode Required again

Dr. Nick

Veteran
I'm sure some of you have read the rumblings that new additions to the backwards compatibility list will be coming in November. Today there is an article from trueachivements.com that gives some hints to what these titles might be. There are a couple in the below article that I will have to dig around my storage unit to find.

Strange MS Store activity could suggest new backwards compatible... (trueachievements.com)

Read the article or wait to be surprised late next month possibly.

Once again, this is only a rumor. Supposedly these could just be placeholders/tests placed in the Microsoft Store and won't amount to anything.

That said. While I do like that I have some of the games in the article, part of me wants more. A few weeks ago, I complained in the DF thread that Microsoft ended the program without telling people if they were going to continue again after the launch of the Xbox Series, so I think it would be nice if Microsoft continues it.

Being able to play the Xbox port of the Saturn port of Model 2 version of Dead or Alive resolution boosted to 4k would be fun I think.

I really wish I could get an RGB or progressive scan via component out of a XSS without having to use converters :cry:
Isn't it like 15 years too late to ask for analog video output on new consoles?
Or is there any advantage in getting analog component out, other than supporting ultra old TVs?

Isn't it like 15 years too late to ask for analog video output on new consoles?
Or is there any advantage in getting analog component out, other than supporting ultra old TVs?

I play more retro games now on CRT TV, and CRT's benefit so much more from down sampling then fixed pixel displays do.

Ideally I would love to have an XSS connected via RGB or component with a 576i/p output with the games still rendered in FHD+, it would give amazing image quality.

Might not be related but a bunch of 360 games received updates recently. Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII I can speak for personally but others are noticing the updates as well.

Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
Oblivion
Fable Anniversary
Dead Space
Dragon Age Origins
Dragon Age 2
Dead Space 3
Fable 3
Far Cry 3
Gears of War 2
Gears of War 3
Gears of War Judgement
DarkSiders
Alan Wake
Sonic Unleased
Sonic Generations
Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed
Assassins Creed
Kameo

The timing leads on to believe that were be some kind of changes on the 15th but still just a rumor for now.

It's going to be really disappointing if all these updates do is slap a "20th Anniversary" logo on the screen when you launch the game.

Think some of those are already BC so hopefully would be resolution & fps boost for both XSX & XSS.

76 Games added to the list will get back to you later or someone can be so kind as to upload the list.
Also appears that some 360 games are getting a FPS boost

Last edited:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/15/22782746/microsoft-xbox-backward-compatibility-76-new-games

Microsoft’s Xbox backward compatibility program returns with 76 new games
Microsoft’s Xbox birthday gift is a bumper one

Microsoft put its Xbox backward compatibility program on hold two years ago, but it’s returning today for a final update to the catalog. To celebrate 20 years of Xbox, Microsoft is now adding 76 new games (full list below) to the backward compatibility library today. It’s a surprisingly long list of additions, including the entire Max Payne series, Skate 2, Dead or Alive Ultimate, and Star Wars Jedi Knight II.

Every original Xbox or Xbox 360 game added today will support Auto HDR on Xbox Series X / S consoles, and original Xbox games will include a resolution increase, too. Xbox One X and Xbox Series X owners will see a 4x resolution increase on original Xbox games, with a 3x bump on Xbox Series S, and a 2x increase on Xbox One S and Xbox One consoles.

FPS Boost is also being enabled on 11 of the titles added today, which doubles the original frame rate up to 60fps. FPS Boost is also arriving on 26 existing backward compatible games today, including the entire Gears of War franchise, Fallout 3, and Fallout: New Vegas.

This is the reason why I like large updates there should be something for everyone. Last night I grabbed DOA Ultimate and DOA 3 from storage left DOA 4 behind, I will grab it later today but I just tested DOA Ultimate 2 and it is still saying that it is not compatible. I guess there will be an update sometime today. DOA2 was likely the hardest DOA to add to the list because of the Aerosmith Song.

Kind of sucks that it is supposedly the last update to the list. I wanted them to finish the JRPG catalog. IMO should have been done before the launch of the Series Consoles. It would have been nice for those in the west that bought them and would have been a nice gift to those in Japan looking to get into the Xbox ecosysem. Still missing Last Remnant, Resonance of Fate, Magna Carta 2, Eternal Sonata also the Original Tales of Vesperia. I know some will say that the Definitive Edition is good enough but I still prefer the original. The original that was released in the West on the 360 was made for the Western market IMO.

Last edited:
I found it underwhelming.
Due to the fact after so long since the last drop, that last gen games aren't getting resolution boost on XSS especially.

I found it underwhelming.
Due to the fact after so long since the last drop, that last gen games aren't getting resolution boost on XSS especially.

They said the Series S is getting 3x resolution boost while Series X and One X get 4x boost.

I'm talking XO games, that's what I meant by last gen sorry.

Oh. Right. Yeah. I hope they bring about some sort of Res-Boost when/if they get any sort of ML-AA going like XeSS at an overall system setting.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/15/22782746/microsoft-xbox-backward-compatibility-76-new-games

Microsoft’s Xbox backward compatibility program returns with 76 new games
Microsoft’s Xbox birthday gift is a bumper one

Microsoft put its Xbox backward compatibility program on hold two years ago, but it’s returning today for a final update to the catalog. To celebrate 20 years of Xbox, Microsoft is now adding 76 new games (full list below) to the backward compatibility library today. It’s a surprisingly long list of additions, including the entire Max Payne series, Skate 2, Dead or Alive Ultimate, and Star Wars Jedi Knight II.

Every original Xbox or Xbox 360 game added today will support Auto HDR on Xbox Series X / S consoles, and original Xbox games will include a resolution increase, too. Xbox One X and Xbox Series X owners will see a 4x resolution increase on original Xbox games, with a 3x bump on Xbox Series S, and a 2x increase on Xbox One S and Xbox One consoles.

FPS Boost is also being enabled on 11 of the titles added today, which doubles the original frame rate up to 60fps. FPS Boost is also arriving on 26 existing backward compatible games today, including the entire Gears of War franchise, Fallout 3, and Fallout: New Vegas.
“While we continue to stay focused on preserving and enhancing the art form of games, we have reached the limit of our ability to bring new games to the catalog from the past due to licensing, legal and technical constraints,” explains Peggy Lo.
Although a huge shame, nice that they've actually said this is the case.

Oh. Right. Yeah. I hope they bring about some sort of Res-Boost when/if they get any sort of ML-AA going like XeSS at an overall system setting.
Don't see how, XeSS needs engine integration, motion vectors etc.

The main reason I've been hopeful is that they showed it working to DF in initial reveal.
Obviously got some sort of issue, but always hopeful that it gets resolved unless it's been scrapped which be nice if they let people know.

Although a huge shame, nice that they've actually said this is the case.

Yeah, it's a shame that licensing and legal constraints exist for games. If you think about it, it's a bit odd, as movies are still distributed despite being years later. They don't have to yank the release. Hopefully this is not an issue going forward, when Microsoft updated their game licensing terms years ago.

Don't see how, XeSS needs engine integration, motion vectors etc.

The main reason I've been hopeful is that they showed it working to DF in initial reveal.
Obviously got some sort of issue, but always hopeful that it gets resolved unless it's been scrapped which be nice if they let people know.

Maybe if they could get something more akin to dumber upscaling working, like FSR?

Back