Rumor of a PSP phone

Any chance the phone would be revealed at todays Gamescom conference?
By the way, will there be a Gamescom thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting consfused over some of the 'discussion' here. Is this a thread about PSP Phone or the iPhone Appreciation Society vs. Apple Haters Anonymous?

Please bring whatever that iPhone debate is about back to the actual topic and keep it relevant, or drop it. Thanks.

Soon we will have a Phone Gaming forum!, with Sony, Microsoft and Apple providing the fun. I wonder where Nintendo will be in this market :)

A bit old but still:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...to_ship_fastest_chip_for_phones_tablets_in_Q4

he company will ship the dual-core QSD8672 chip with CPU cores running at up to 1.5GHz, said Mark Frankel, vice president of product management for Qualcomm CDMA Technologies. The chip could go into smartphones, tablets and low-cost laptops, he said.

Frankel pegged the launch date for devices with the new chip for early next year, adding that aggressive vendors could launch products "by Christmas" -- or the fourth quarter -- this year, Frankel said.

The chip is a follow-up to the dual-core MSM8660 Snapdragon chip, which started shipping in the second quarter. The 8672 has a faster processor than 8660, which includes CPU cores running at 1.2GHz. The processor in the 8672 chip is based on an Arm design and will be manufactured using the 45-nanometer process.

The chip is similar to the 8660 design with a raft of improvements compared to its previous single-core chips, Frankel said. That should bring better power management and performance to devices, Frankel said.

The 8672 chip has a feature called individual voltage scaling so each CPU can be clocked independently from the other. For example, when one CPU core is idle, the other will be able to operate at full speed, which can help better manage power consumption.

The chip also has 1080p video playback features, while previous single-core chips were limited to 720p video. The 8672 will also have "notebook-like interfaces" to it, Frankel said, including integrated HDMI (high-definition multimedia interface) and DDR2 and DDR3 memory interfaces.

I'm getting consfused over some of the 'discussion' here. Is this a thread about PSP Phone or the iPhone Appreciation Society vs. Apple Haters Anonymous?

Please bring whatever that iPhone debate is about back to the actual topic and keep it relevant, or drop it. Thanks.
Agreed. Shall we move all of these to a "Phone OS Bickering" thread, and mention that, say, Symbian (or similar) has outsold everything?

In fact, I have: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=58346

This morning I read an interview with Jan Udddenfeldt (chief of technology at Sony-Ericsson). When asked about what future technolgy there is in the pipe, he answered that 3D was an area where he expected that Sony-Ericsson would have an edge. It would be mass-market in phones 2012-2013 but we would see 3D-phones already next year. When asked about a gaming phone, he answered, it certainly was a possibility.

Given his answers I would be very surprised if there isn´t a new PSP-model with 3D technolgy within the next two years.

I would be guessing that whenever the first gen PSP2 comes out (hopefully sooner), they can have HDMI out with 3d support on big screen tv to keep the cost down to compete with 3ds (and focus on high end portable graphics and still advertise for 3d support). Then eventually roll out new model with 3d screen built in when the tech gets cheap enough. If the system is going to be a single screen device it might work....

3D screens don't work with touch screens though. Occluding part of the screen messes with your head in 3D.

I think they should make some kind of mini move. No gyros or anything just positional 3D information of the tip of a stylus. The camera on the handheld could point to an area to the side or below the system so you don't occlude the screen in use.

Back