Rumor of a PSP phone

To be honest, a much cheaper and low risk route for sony would be to make iphone/itouch "cases" that have physical controls, offer a free PSN app through the app store, and sell psn games as in-app purchases from the free PSN "iphone" application. I'm sure they can just write a PSP and PS1 emulator for the iPhone much cheaper than developing a whole new handheld. They could probably make the cases for $10, sell them for $50, and then live off the vast software library of PS1 and PSN, maybe even some PS2 games. Of course they'd never do this since they also own the hemorrhaging Ericsson company.

To be honest, a much cheaper and low risk route for sony would be to make iphone/itouch "cases" that have physical controls, offer a free PSN app through the app store, and sell psn games as in-app purchases from the free PSN "iphone" application. I'm sure they can just write a PSP and PS1 emulator for the iPhone much cheaper than developing a whole new handheld. They could probably make the cases for $10, sell them for $50, and then live off the vast software library of PS1 and PSN, maybe even some PS2 games. Of course they'd never do this since they also own the hemorrhaging Ericsson company.

Very smart idea. Not sure iPhone can emulate PSP and PS1 yet but very minimal capital for a control case, certainly a fraction of what it would cost to develop their own gaming phone.

Wonder how those old games would look on the retina display phone though. Plus iPhone market is resisting those higher prices, especially anything over $10. It seems though that EA and Activision (and Gameloft too) continue to make iPhone games so there must be a decent business there.

But the biggest obstacle might be Sony/Japanese culture, about having their brand on the box, not making software for someone else. Not too many Japanese companies which only do software, other than game developers but Sony has a manufacturing legacy.

If they offer this "docking controller" where would it plug in? The docking port? Sounds like it could very well work. Maybe even integrate a small flat LiPo battery pack inside the docking controller.:devilish:

I don't think Sony will go for it though, because they seem to be very prideful of their own hardware.

If they offer this "docking controller" where would it plug in? The docking port? Sounds like it could very well work. Maybe even integrate a small flat LiPo battery pack inside the docking controller.:devilish:

Yes it's like those cases with the integrated battery in them, connected through the docking port. They can as well add extra battery capacity and maybe even improve on the antenna reception while they're at it, but this will add more cost.

They can get around having to give 30% of their software revenue to apple by making the PSN app free, and allowing apps you bought from PSN on the PS3 or PSP to be downloaded from Sony's servers directly, without allowing in-iPhone purchases, or even better, just raise the price of in-iPhone PSN purchases by 42.8% percent compared to standard PSN prices through your PS3 or PSP to make up for Apple's cut.

Also, the most popular titles on PSN are the PS1 final fantasy games, all priced under 10 dollars. You're also right about "Pride" in Japanese companies, so this probably would never happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
They could even do bluetooth to pair the controls to the iPhone.

Only problem is the form factor changes every year or could change every year. You also have to allow for slight differences between iPhone and iPod Touch (which you certainly want to support).

So it would have to be a case that has room to fit devices of slightly different dimensions.

They could aim for a $50 price point, which is what DS3 goes for, but should cost less than a DS3 without the motors and the more involved mechanical parts for the sticks.

That is just as likely as Sony starting selling PS1 games on Xbox Live.

Why on earth should they support the platform of a competitor?

Also, the most popular titles on PSN are the PS1 final fantasy games, all priced under 10 dollars. You're also right about "Pride" in Japanese companies, so this probably would never happen.

It's nothing to do with "Japanese" pride :-S They're a hardware company for heaven's sake....

As Crossbar said, not only would they be supporting a direct competitor in the mobile handheld space, they'll effectively be saying to the consumer,

"hey guys, don't bother buying our PSP portible contraption... buy our competitors platform instead and give your consumer electronics dollars away directly to them... we'll even give you an added incentive of being able to buy all our software for our device on our enemies system, while killing dead our PSP sales because... what the heck... the iPhone is a better device that can do much more... :D"..... never gonna happen....

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nothing to do with "Japanese" pride :-S They're a hardware company for heaven's sake....

As Crossbar said, not only would they be supporting a direct competitor in the mobile handheld space, they'll effectively be saying to the consumer,

"hey gays, don't bother buying our PSP portible contraption... buy our competitors platform instead and give your consumer electronics dollars away directly to them... we'll even give you an added incentive of being able to buy all our software for our device on our enemies system, while killing dead our PSP sales because... what the heck... the iPhone is a better device that can do much more... :D"..... never gonna happen....

OF course it'd never happen today, but 20 years ago, if you said that Sonic would be on Nintendo, everyone would laugh too. Depending on Sony's finances, it could happen in the future...

Of course for now a better idea would be to make a top of the line Sony Ericsson Android 3.0 phone, renew it every year while keeping the form factor, and make them access the PSN store. The basic phone would only have touch controls, and you'd be able to get the PSP attachment that you could easily attach and detach to your phone that'd give dedicated controls. On PSN you could sell games that were touch only vs. standard PS1, PSP games as well.

Is anyone buying the PSP now?

A PSP phone may or may not sell well and sell those legacy games.

An iPhone/iPod Touch accessory may or may not sell well and sell those legacy games.

But the second option is a lot cheaper and less riskier than developing a niche phone with dedicated gaming controls.

OF course it'd never happen today, but 20 years ago, if you said that Sonic would be on Nintendo, everyone would laugh too. Depending on Sony's finances, it could happen in the future...
And prior to Wii's announcement some of us were saying Nintendo would do better to publish on other platforms! Suffice to say at this point, I think it's too early for Sony to throw in the towel and become Apple lackies. Plus Apple's policies regards development are extremely stinky, and Sony could very well create a iPhone app only to have Apple randomly pull it with no explanation...

I agree with those who think the PlayStation brand probably isn't a good fit for a mobile, but how's about "Xperia with PlayStation" and sell it as a unique 'app'.

There are emulators already for sales on the Android market including PS1, Nintendo and others. I am not really sure how Google allows people to sale emulators on its Android market and not get taken to task by Sony and Nintendo. I have a feeling they do not know about it.

What I got was little to no information with mostly estimates by analysts.
So we really don't know if it's the budget Android phones driving sales, especially since phone pricing varies wildly from country to country depending on carrier subsidies. About your question on emulators, they're completely 100% legal as long as they don't contain the bios rom image, which is copyright protected.

I agree with those who think the PlayStation brand probably isn't a good fit for a mobile, but how's about "Xperia with PlayStation" and sell it as a unique 'app'.

I say the design should be like the PSP GO, but with the controller part fully detachable, so you don't have to take it with you if you don't want to be embarassed in your business meeting. It would communicate using bluetooth just like the PS3 controllers.

I say the design should be like the PSP GO, but with the controller part fully detachable, so you don't have to take it with you if you don't want to be embarassed in your business meeting. It would communicate using bluetooth just like the PS3 controllers.

I think a thin slide-out control board that isn´t noticeable when phone is used as a smart phone is a better solution. By replacing the analogue knob with a touch pad the control board can be made thinner than the one on the PSP Go.

By the way the DS3 can be used together with the PSP Go over Bluetooth, which is pretty neat especially if you have your PSP attached to a TV screen.

If the design with a touch pad is indeed true I really hope they make it work as a mouse pointer in the web browser, because I think it can be quite tricky to click small button groups using the touch screen.

I dont think a PSP phone is a good idea.
Perhaps a phone that plays PSP games (big difference between the two) but even then I'ld be doubtful

I think a thin slide-out control board that isn´t noticeable when phone is used as a smart phone is a better solution. By replacing the analogue knob with a touch pad the control board can be made thinner than the one on the PSP Go.
A slideout touchpad makes no sense when you also have a touchscreen. I also think in the beginning at least, the gaming controls should be detachable so people wouldn't be embarassed to buy one...

So how about a "normal" PSP that also plays all those 2€ daddle-ware for the Android plattform?
That wouldnt suck as handheld, wont need a big pile of java-junk while running native games, and wont need to pretend to be portable enough to be a phone (which most smartphones arent anyway).

Just because iPhone sells tons doesnt mean any other smartphone will, whats sure is though that the PSP sold 60 millions to date. And a big part of those owners might frown upon the idea of replacing it with a smartphone.

A slideout touchpad makes no sense when you also have a touchscreen. I also think in the beginning at least, the gaming controls should be detachable so people wouldn't be embarassed to buy one...

I think the touch pad makes sense if you want to play PS1 and PSP games that are not desígned to have a thumb positioned in the middle of the screen.

Honestly what kind of difference does it make if you have a PSP compatible Xperia with mounted or unmounted control pad? People in the know will know the phone can be used to play PSP games and people who don´t will not have the faintest idea of that the phone has a slide out control if it´s even noticeable.

If the slide-out control also have some professional benefits like a good mouse control that may even work to its benefits.

Back