Rumor of a PSP phone

More info is needed, software support for games the most. It would be epic if it could play PSP games without major porting [but what are the chances that they will include psp hardware inside? small. ]

2011 smartphone hardware should easily be able to emulate PSP. All sony needs is a PSP app that runs on Android and connects to PSN. Other androids won't really be able to use it without the dedicated controls anyway.

On the software side, it looks like the device will be running Gingerbread (Android 3.0) with a phone-specific skin

Combined with

In terms of release, it's possible that the phone and ecosystem could be introduced as early of October of this year, but we have yet to confirm.

doesn´t sound very realistic to me. The rest sounds pretty plausible. Smart idea to replace the analogue knob with a touch pad, that will allow a thinner design.

Strange that it will be placed under the Xperia label. I just got myself a Xperia 10 mini, which is an awesome device for the price. Perhaps it was a requirement by Sony Ericsson to allow it have an integrated phone or maybe they want it to be a "serious" smartphone as well as a gaming device and therefor want to piggyback the Xperia label.

I love that idea for a phone! I started a second business making mobile apps, just put out my first for iPhone and iPad today, but I'm using the Airplay sdk which supports tons of platforms including Android. Already working on a 2d game as my next title. Since that ericsson device uses Android 3.0, I could basically re-use 99% of the same code and make it work on iOS, Android, and support both touch screen and dpad with little extra work. Very cool. I'm totally down with a phone that has a dpad so long as I don't have to treat it as a whole new sku. With them using Anrdoid 3.0 means supporting it will be cake.

I dislike my iPhone as a gaming device, the touch screen just isn't suited to most games.
For puzzle games like Bejeweled it's great, but for action games it's basically useless.
A smartphone with actual gaming controls would definitely be on my list when my contract ends next summer, hope the PSPhone won't be too clumsy.

We now know (via a trusted source) that the company is actively and heavily developing a brand new gaming platform, ecosystem, and device (possibly alongside Google)
That's gonna be a big possibility, but Sony teaming up with Google for this and PS4 would be Massive. As both are major MS rivals, and they aren't competing with each other, that might be a partnership being considered. Or wishful thinking on the part of the article's author!

Looks pretty hot. I might be interested.

Somebody said it needs 3D though. Hmmm...

Snapdragon CPU is weak also, correct? I mean when I got my Captivate, I read plenty to the effect the Hummingbird in it is much superior to Snapdragon...

And I wonder how that "long touch pad for analog controls" thing works? Will it capably replace two analog nubs?

So Sony Ericsson will be producing Playstation branded Android devices, and Xbox Live supporting Windows Phone devices.

:mrgreen:

And I wonder how that "long touch pad for analog controls" thing works? Will it capably replace two analog nubs?

Well obviously it's just analog pressure sensitive d-pad + buttons and not meant to replace two analog sticks. I hope something like this comes in to reality, but the article is a little bit too vague with all the "is probably" and "mights", that I'll get too excited for now.

Maybe is Sony trying to expand into "phone" market with PSP compatibility device(s)?

I just don't belive Sony would abandon PSP as pure gaming device and I still expect PSP2 sometime in 2 year time.

That's gonna be a big possibility, but Sony teaming up with Google for this and PS4 would be Massive. As both are major MS rivals, and they aren't competing with each other, that might be a partnership being considered. Or wishful thinking on the part of the article's author!

This bit suggests Google involvement:

On the software side, it looks like the device will be running Gingerbread (Android 3.0) with a phone-specific skin, and there will be a new area of the Android Market specifically for the games.

Google owns the Android Market.

This sort of sounds like it could be a platform within a platform. An optional extension to Android for devices that want to support more serious gaming and/or multimedia apps that carries the Playstation branding? With software targeting this sub-platform sold through this roped off area of the Android Market (the Playstation store in disguise?), which while integrated with Android Market, sees Sony taking their cut on content sold there.

It does raise lots of questions though. Would this platform bring new hardware requirements? (I feel it probably should to give devs incentive to target it for games vs 'ordinary Android, to e.g. perhaps the PSP chipset or a refresh of it would be required hardware for these devices).

Would it be PSP compatible? (Again, I feel it should).

Assuming it was actually the PSP platform at heart, would Sony open it to be in tune with its new parent platform? (Again, I feel that would probably need to happen).

If there was no specific Playstation hardware required, would all games on Android fall under this banner going forward, to avoid the need to incentivise devs to target one or the other? E.g. would 'ordinary Android' games fall under its remit? If so, would Google really be willing to share revenue on those with Sony, in exchange, basically, for the Playstation name?

It seems like, in its fullest manifestation, it would be a huge leap of faith for Sony (and Google). Not sure if they are ready to go quite THAT far?

I assume they will require some minimal hardware for a phone to be allowed acces. Though I doubt specs will be much of a problem. Even my not so super fast Legend is supposed to be capable of running a psx emulator so with all the upcoming 1.5Ghz and dualcore cpu's I doubt performance will be much of a issue if they are aiming for psx/psp gfx.

The phone in the article is probably fake I think. Android 3.0 requires a 1ghz cpu I believe and we will soon have much faster cpu's than that but still the rumor is that this phone will have the (by then) old 1ghz snapdragon. You'd think that if they are making a gaming phone they would go for something pretty high end for their first try.

Why? I find it great, which OS would you prefer Sony put in it?

I like the PSP because I can get very close to the metal if I want to. Running Android means it's going to be no different from developing for an Android phone, i.e. extremely boring for me as a programmer.

And after the Buzz fiasco I'd rather stay away from Google software anyway.

I dont see how a 1,5GHz Dualcore Arm could be able to emulate a 333MHz Dualcore MIPS with an custom integrated and fast 4x4 Vector Unit easily. Its very questionable at least, emulating different architectures typically requires upwards of 10x CPU power.

And mixing Gaming handheld and phone always smells of disaster to me. I want a damn small "stupid" phone (that I can carry around everywhere) and a comfortably big enough handheld, not something thats a foul compromise.

I dont see how a 1,5GHz Dualcore Arm could be able to emulate a 333MHz Dualcore MIPS with an custom integrated and fast 4x4 Vector Unit easily. Its very questionable at least, emulating different architectures typically requires upwards of 10x CPU power.

And mixing Gaming handheld and phone always smells of disaster to me. I want a damn small "stupid" phone (that I can carry around everywhere) and a comfortably big enough handheld, not something thats a foul compromise.

PSP isn't dual core, and they'd only need to emulate it for Digital download games, not UMD games, since it's not going to have UMD. They can probably recompile hits from the umd library and offer it digitally.

A dual core Ghz class ARM + a good gpu should be plenty to emulate the PSP.

Back