RSX Related: Inquirer releases Pics of 7800 and Final Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
gosh said:
the rsx is weak compared to xenos
If you're post things like that, please don't post here.
Current rumours say RSX is a higher clocked RSX + FlexIO interface + 128 bit HDR.
FlexIO interface lets RSX and CELL work together and 128 bit HDR is needed in order to exchange HDR data between RSX and CELL since SPEs, IMHO, can't work on 64 bit HDR data (lack of data conversion inctructions from 16bit fp to 32bit fp numbers and viceversa).
So 128 bit HDR rendering would be used only when RSX has to send data to CELL.
Nice,nAo. I'll buy that. I never put those two things together. I wonder what the bandwidth cost would be of supporting 128bit HDR? Does this make lighting look significantly better compared to 64bit etc?

ERP. I think the entire VM reference goes back to a .plan or some such of Carmack's. Basically, he was talking about the lack of VM on video cards. He commented that Creative with the P10 had it and what they would do is rather than moving the entire texture into video memory -- nvidia did this and ATI had a "hack" around thi-- they would roll in the appropriate pieces across the AGP bus. And this is likely where you're point of, it only helps in NUMA, which is true, since your memory pool is uniformly fast. I'm trying to think of other situations where things might be faster, but I'm stumped.

ralexand said:
I wonder what the bandwidth cost would be of supporting 128bit HDR?
of course, It has a cost ;)
There is enough bandwith between RSX and CELL to read and write
a full 720p 128 bit image 20 times per frame at 50 frames per second! ;)

Does this make lighting look significantly better compared to 64bit etc?
No :) This is why I believe 128 bit rendering is there only for data exchange purposes.

nAo said:
There is enough bandwith between RSX and CELL to read and write
a full 720p 128 bit image 20 times per frame at 50 frames per second! ;)
Well there's a useless fact. :p
Maybe if Cell could store the framebuffer the number would matter.

Inane_Dork said:
Well there's a useless fact. :p
Maybe if Cell could store the framebuffer the number would matter.
I used a full frame unit measure just to give an idea of how much data can be transferred between RSX and CELL, I'm not saying a game would do it ;)

ERP said:
On a PC where textures are stored in system memory sure it can save AGP/PCI bandwidth.

But in a UMA architecture, there is no benefit like that.

Oh, I thought that happens, from any location of the memory (VDram included), now I saw that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back