RSX, opengl and CG... effect to pc side of things

Mendel

Mr. Upgrade
Veteran
According to the unreal engine developers in the playstation 3 launch video, they mentioned they had used the ps3 devkit for 2 months to code their demo, they achieved that because they were using familiar tools. Opengl and CG language for shaders.

So...Supposing CG indeed is the standard way of developing for ps3:

How will this affect things on pc side? Will opengl be more popular in the future? What happens to direct3d/wgf? Will Nvidia's C for Graphics gain more ground on pc side of things again, even though GLSL is with us?

The differences between NVIDIA CG and the DirectX HLSL are still pretty insigificant. It wouldn't be too hard to handle them both in the same codebase.

I think I read somewhere that it will support GLSL (much like NVIDIA drivers do now). I would like to know if we can use the GLSL API to send CG code (like using GL_EXT_Cg_shader)...

The problem is that such an extension would require that the Cg compiler be integrated into graphics drivers -- since I don't think that any current OpenGL extension relies on any non-standard external libraries.

Don't forget the PS3 supporst the ES version of OpenGl Shader language ( assume it has some features cut out from full blown shader language ) so maybe we will more OpenGl Shader Language used in games.

Back