Rockband thread.

Man, do these developers ever take a vacation or is their development team enormous :?:

I'm guessing you can't share the audio tracks with an MP3 player, so you'd have to buy the same music twice for listening and gaming?

There is no MP3 copying of the songs. And the songs aren't available to listen/play at the Dashboard/XMB level.

I'm not aware of any games that support this level of music that allows DRM free copying?

Man, do these developers ever take a vacation or is their development team enormous :?:

Both? :)

Touche :p

It just boggles my mind - the amount of work needed to be done to produce a single track, let alone at least three per week.

At this point, it has proven to be a clear driver for continued DLC sales. More new content, more continued purchasing. Keep people wanting more each week, as compared to sporadic releases a'la SingStar/GH and you potentially keep a sustained interest in the game?

Either way, I'm all for it. Especially with the new in-game store where you can sample all tracks, and get their difficulty break outs on each instrument prior to purchasing.

At this point, it has proven to be a clear driver for continued DLC sales. More new content, more continued purchasing. Keep people wanting more each week, as compared to sporadic releases a'la SingStar/GH and you potentially keep a sustained interest in the game?

Either way, I'm all for it. Especially with the new in-game store where you can sample all tracks, and get their difficulty break outs on each instrument prior to purchasing.

Very true, and kudos to the devs for being able to handle it. :)

My only beef with the DLC is that they don't offer a retail package - an expansion pack. I'm far from being a coinesseur of rock/guitar music. I'm just happy enough to play any song, meaning I would likely download everything in their music store, which would be rather expensive. And that brings me to the other issue, hard drive space, particularly for the majority of 360 owners who only have the 20GB drive, of which they get about 14GB for actual use.

I might be in the minority of gamers with that issue. I don't know. :p

I think they average 10-15MB per song (the GH ones are that size). In retrospect... it's not a big deal to most people at first. It's just that things will add up as Harmonix continues to pump out only DLC.

I suppose I was thinking of the much bigger DLC packs of other games competing for hard drive space too.

edit: whoop, I guess it fluctuates between 15 and 60MB per track ! Average is 30MB. All the downloads total to about 1.5GB so far. By the end of the year that would probably be up to 5 or 6GB. Those album packs will be big.

Currently I'm at 1250MB for the game data (to my knowledge, that's pretty much all songs), and I'm down 35-40 songs or so from max (85 or so).

I'd say there's quite a lot more to that total. ^_^

I checked my total game data yesterday. I have 53 songs total downloaded. My game data file for Rockband is 1.48 GB.

That many songs being downloaded is by far the exception. This is simply by playing with others online (the songs on your screen are greyed out of they don't have them). I have yet to come across someone who had at least 50% of the same songs as I have and most of the time it's few if any. That's not much of an indication but with games like GT5P, DMC4, All Pro 2K8, Lost taking up 4GB+, Rock Band wont be capping out many peoples HD's.

Small Rock Band update for PS3 owners. This is the word from Harmonix:

The 1.04 Rock Band update is a PS3 only update that allows us to work around a size limitation for categories in the in-game commerce library.

Hmmm...

So I finally decided to give Rock Band and try by convincing my buddy to buy it. Next thing you know I was hooked! So I picked up my own set tonight.

Everything is awesome but *THE!* biggest letdown is the fact you can't do World Tour co-op online. WTF!!!!!!!

Back