Rockband thread.

And the drums are what make this game. We have some other game that mimics the other elements, but none as well as the drums. Im so excited for you guys in the EU. I am glad your finally getting this goodness.

I wish we would get some more Oasis, get Blur and Muse for that matter. This is such a fun social party game. The best I have played in any system, Wii included!

You can't just buy the drums. As I understand it, the instruments are all sold in the bundle. You buy four instruments for £130, and the game for £50. If you have the GH guitar you can just get the game, but someone, somewhere will need to shell £130 to get the drums if you're to actually play a band, rather than...Guitar Hero (you could always have someone sing along to Guitar Hero and forgo the mics).

I suppose eBay will offer a lot of broken up packs for individual instrument sales.

From the same article you linked to..

Wireless guitars will be sold separately for GBP 59.99 / EUR 79.99, while the drum kit will be GBP 69.99 / EUR 89.99.
I can see why you might have stopped reading at a certain point, but really. :LOL:

I think that's an edit. There was no mention earlier, I'm sure!
Also, that's still £120 for drums and game disc...

For those interested here is a link to the wiki page that breaks down all the songs in the game. Which ones you have to buy and how much. You can also see the ranking difficulty each instrument. This proves to be helpful! I have it in .xls if you want it, PM me!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_in_Rock_Band

Keep in mind new songs get released every single week. Also in the next 2 months (ta0 there will be full album releases!

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering the ridiculous price in europe, my only question is whether the US game is "zone free" and works on european consoles. It's a shame to see that importing this game manually could end up being vastly cheaper than buying it in my city.
I shudder to think about how much it would have cost with a more reasonable dollar/euro change.

For those of you who may not know, if you have a 360 and already own GHII or III for it you can use your existing guitar controller for Rock Band as well. This is not the case for the PS3 version, though. Any USB mic should work, as well. So it may be possible for you to get this on the cheap by just buying the drums and game and using peripherals you already have to fill in the remaining spots.

I thought Activision canned this? As is, they blocked GH controllers from working on Rock Band. Am I wrong?

Also, does the Live headset work as a mic? If so, I may try and get the game plus drums, then have a three-piece :)

Also, Shifty, you might like a good laugh at http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=131029 (Rock Band PR on Euro price). Doesn't really answer why the price is so much compared to the US release - it's put down to "VAT and generally higher prices for consumer electronics" which when translated I believe means "because we can you Euro suckers!" :( Typical PR.

I thought Activision canned this? As is, they blocked GH controllers from working on Rock Band. Am I wrong?

The technology was a known quantity on the 360 (afterall, Harmonix was still involved in the development of the GHII guitar for the 360) so Harmonix knew how to support it in Rock Band. The PS3 GHIII guitar was new technology and while Harmonix did the necessary work after the fact to support that peripheral in Rock Band, Activision blocked it from being released.

Also, does the Live headset work as a mic? If so, I may try and get the game plus drums, then have a three-piece :)

Yes, technically, you can use a headset as a mic. It doesn't sound very good, though. Looking around, it looks like you should be able to find PS2 USB mics pretty cheap and they would work much better.

What does Activision have to gain by blocking the use of GH3 guitars in Rock Band :?:

So, MS bought EU exclusivity for Rockband? Good move if so.

What does Activision have to gain by blocking the use of GH3 guitars in Rock Band :?:

It prevents people with GH3 from buying Rockband by increasing price of entry, or others from buying Rockband + GH3 guitar since seemingly GH3 guitar is better.

It prevents people with GH3 from buying Rockband by increasing price of entry, or others from buying Rockband + GH3 guitar since seemingly GH3 guitar is better.

And yet they're ok with the 360 version?

First off, GH3 guitar being better is just a matter of taste. I find the one for Rock Band to be better for me. You can't really blame them for making non-licensed vendors equipment not to work.

On another note, Harmonix had this to say about the Wii and it's soon to be lack of DLC:

"Come on Nintendo, we need a hard drive," Harmonix design director Rob Kay told Next-Gen sibling CVG in an interview about the matter. "That's what we want. The whole problem is there's nowhere to store it.

They have no problem selling RockBand on the HD less PS2 and no one complaining about that much.

With 2 GB SD cards readily and cheaply available, an HDD isn't needed. All that's needed is developer data streaming to removable storage.

What I want to know is why the hell doesn't the XBox Rockband guitar work on the PS3? Surely they could code compatibility between the 2 and it's nothing to do with Activision. I have Rockband on the PS3 and a friend has it on 360, yet he can't come over with his guitar and join in.

What I want to know is why the hell doesn't the XBox Rockband guitar work on the PS3? Surely they could code compatibility between the 2 and it's nothing to do with Activision. I have Rockband on the PS3 and a friend has it on 360, yet he can't come over with his guitar and join in.

Im with you on this one, as I have the PS3 version as well. But to play a little devils advocate.

Why cant I use my sixaxis controller to play my 360 version of Rainbow Six Vegas 2?

So, MS bought EU exclusivity for Rockband? Good move if so.

People seem to be jumping to that conclusion. I'm not so sure. It could simply be a matter of logistics. We saw that EA was clearly straining to supply and support (warranty repairs, etc.) Rock Band in the US for a long while after launch. They may simply not be in a position to do a territory-wide launch on all SKUs simultaneously.

Not sure Sony would be too cooperative in that. And if they were I expect that there is some provision in Harmonix's license with MS that prevents them from using what they know of how 360 controllers work to make one work on the PS3. Your expectation is a bit unrealistic....

And yet they're ok with the 360 version?
Not sure about the PS3 guitar, but the 360 guitar is just a controller that works in any game. You can use it in any game. I've had 4-player Bomberman matches with two controllers, an arcade stick, and some poor sucker playing it my GH2 guitar :LOL:

Back