Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

Exi1e2f.jpg

Here is the latest ship size comparision .

After much thinking I may grab the prospector which would work out to no cost for me out of pocket and wait to see if they make some smaller type of ship or station builder or something. I like the reclaimer but I think I have to many ships that require multi crew

F1 like ship
That thing is retarded
The crosshair is literally right on the cockpit edge.
How are you supposed to fly/fight/race when you can't see what's directly infront of you???
Also janky poop flightmodel still very present.

yup they have a ton of issues when it comes to the ship designs. I'm not a great fighter to being with so I don't mind these and will stick more with cargo and trade ships … but still

Does it really need this central view forward as a non combat ship? CIG can also remove the object or raise the seat. They've done that several times.

I find the flight physics excellent it needs more visual feedback and other values in some areas. Besides

Exi1e2f.jpg

After much thinking I may grab the prospector which would work out to no cost for me out of pocket and wait to see if they make some smaller type of ship or station builder or something. I like the reclaimer but I think I have to many ships that require multi crew

They're working on mining and the tractor beam since the beginning of 2018. Corresponding gameplay could be available in 3.2.

I think that by the end of this year we will be very far. Then this game could be playable for the masses despite the fact that it will still be an alpha version. Some of these points may not make it in 2018 while others will come along. It looks very good, though.
Roadmap: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

The Squadron 42 Roadmap should also come sometime.

By the way, there will be no GamesCom presentation this year. They want to focus on releasing a patch every quarter.

Last edited:
Does it really need this central view forward as a non combat ship? CIG can also remove the object or raise the seat. They've done that several times.

I find the flight physics excellent it needs more visual feedback and other values in some areas. Besides

They're working on mining and the tractor beam since the beginning of 2018. Corresponding gameplay could be available in 3.2.

I think that by the end of this year we will be very far. Then this game could be playable for the masses despite the fact that it will still be an alpha version. Some of these points may not make it in 2018 while others will come along. It looks very good, though.
Roadmap: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

The Squadron 42 Roadmap should also come sometime.

By the way, there will be no GamesCom presentation this year. They want to focus on releasing a patch every quarter.

Its hard to keep a target when most of the ship is obscured (?) by the front of your ship . So yea they need to raise your seat in the ship or fix it up. I believe that ship is getting a redesign .

As it being playable. Well the newest patch on the ptu for 3.1 has pulled the reclaimer since spawning more than a few of them kills performance. So they really can't have a playable game until we get network bind culling , better network threading for code , object container streaming and so on. They have performance boosts planned all through the year and well network bind culling was supposed to be done a year ago and then it slipped from 3.1 to 3.2. So while I hope they can get a lot of this stuff in this year , I really don't think this will playable for the masses before 2019 . While they are releasing a patch so far each quarter …. they push stuff from the patch if it isn't ready

Anyway for those of you thinking of only having one starter ship , remember the avenger and mustangs are getting upgraded for 3.2 . Now looking at the roadmap it doesn't seem like they will make it for 3.2 . However they will jump in price when they are flight ready. For the $10-$30 cost over the aurora they are certainly worth it over the aurora

Exi1e2f.jpg

Is it really difficult or even possible (without dying if attacked) to fly solo the large mass ships/corvettets/etc?
Wondering at what point the multi max crew spec comes into effect and makes it too painful to use solo when either attacked or doing functions associated with the ship type.
Polaris with 14 crew seems like that would need some serious co-ordination between friends if they are also doing this in a more realistic way.
Although it does help to balance everyone going for capital/heavy capacity-function type ships.

Is it really difficult or even possible (without dying if attacked) to fly solo the large mass ships/corvettets/etc?
Wondering at what point the multi max crew spec comes into effect and makes it too painful to use solo when either attacked or doing functions associated with the ship type.
The guns on these ships seem to require meatbags to literally sit in them and manually aim them WW2 style lol. So if you want to shoot at stuff I guess you gotta run with a posse.

The guns on these ships seem to require meatbags to literally sit in them and manually aim them WW2 style lol. So if you want to shoot at stuff I guess you gotta run with a posse.
Well the Reclaimer as an example is a pretty damn huge ship with lots of turrets but only 1 of the turrets (the big ass one on the top) isn't automated.

Well the Reclaimer as an example is a pretty damn huge ship with lots of turrets but only 1 of the turrets (the big ass one on the top) isn't automated.

So the downside for the Reclaimer is not necessarily one is nigh on defencesless solo, but trying to do core functions associated with mining/salvaging/etc?
I assume multi-crew in this regard also means one can keep an eye out for enemies/trouble as a larger ship takes one away from such systems when mining/salvaging/exploring.

Does the crew required then come down to mostly the functional purpose of the ship?
So say Polaris/Redeemer requires crew to man more of the weapons while an exploration ship crew for other operations?
Just curious if there is a framework dictating the crew number and also separately (indirectly or directly) balances the use of the largest mass ships in their specific roles.

Its hard to keep a target when most of the ship is obscured (?) by the front of your ship . So yea they need to raise your seat in the ship or fix it up. I believe that ship is getting a redesign .

As it being playable. Well the newest patch on the ptu for 3.1 has pulled the reclaimer since spawning more than a few of them kills performance. So they really can't have a playable game until we get network bind culling , better network threading for code , object container streaming and so on. They have performance boosts planned all through the year and well network bind culling was supposed to be done a year ago and then it slipped from 3.1 to 3.2. So while I hope they can get a lot of this stuff in this year , I really don't think this will playable for the masses before 2019 . While they are releasing a patch so far each quarter …. they push stuff from the patch if it isn't ready

Anyway for those of you thinking of only having one starter ship , remember the avenger and mustangs are getting upgraded for 3.2 . Now looking at the roadmap it doesn't seem like they will make it for 3.2 . However they will jump in price when they are flight ready. For the $10-$30 cost over the aurora they are certainly worth it over the aurora

I meant that new points could also be added to the roadmap.

Since many of the important optimizations are planned for the September patch I still think that it is possible that they can make it in 2018 since one big patch is scheduled for December.

3.1 has "Serialized Variable Culling which happens when player 1 is so far away, or detached enough from brick 2541 that he doesn't need to know which color the brick is, or exactly where it is, or if its upside down. Or at least, he doesn't need to know all the time. So the server might still write the player about it, but only once every 30 messages. Apply that to 50 players and its a LOT less things to write about. This is mainly a server thing because it frees up a lot of server CPU cycles, but it also frees up some client CPU cycle because it will locally update brick 2541 only once every 30 messages instead of all the time. That's what's coming in 3.1"

Both sounded pretty confident about the performance (RTV).

One was happy because in the last three to four years he only changed old code and this year would finally come completely "new shiny code". (23:02).
They also had no doubt that there would be great battles at some point.

Yes, I think the Avenger and Mustang are gonna be great.

So the downside for the Reclaimer is not necessarily one is nigh on defencesless solo, but trying to do core functions associated with mining/salvaging/etc?
I assume multi-crew in this regard also means one can keep an eye out for enemies/trouble as a larger ship takes one away from such systems when mining/salvaging/exploring.

Does the crew required then come down to mostly the functional purpose of the ship?
So say Polaris/Redeemer requires crew to man more of the weapons while an exploration ship crew for other operations?
Just curious if there is a framework dictating the crew number and also separately (indirectly or directly) balances the use of the largest mass ships in their specific roles.

One alone will only be able to fly around in big spaceship by himself and not much more.

They haven't gotten very far with multi-crew gameplay. But what is a mining ship supposed to do:
-Pilot - navigates through asteroid fields and controls the drones
-Scan Operator
-Beam Operator
-Cargo Operator - uses tractor systems; can recognize the quality of the materials through a fragment scanner
-Refinery Operator - separates the unwanted materials

Last edited:
Polaris with 14 crew seems like that would need some serious co-ordination between friends if they are also doing this in a more realistic way.
Although it does help to balance everyone going for capital/heavy capacity-function type ships.

You will be able to hire NPC crew. The question is how good they will be verse humans. I would suspect that Polaris with 14 crew members you would idealy want 7 real humans and 7 npc. Of course the NPC crew could suck and you may not want any , or they could be better than humans and you will want 13 lol

The more things you slave to your computers the large the computer you will need. So a connie can have 1 M level computer . A freelancer can have 2 level M computers.

One alone will only be able to fly around in big spaceship by himself and not much more.

They haven't gotten very far with multi-crew gameplay. But what is a mining ship supposed to do:
-Pilot - navigates through asteroid fields and controls the drones
-Scan Operator
-Beam Operator
-Cargo Operator - uses tractor systems; can recognize the quality of the materials through a fragment scanner
-Refinery Operator - separates the unwanted materials

Thanks.
Not sure if that sounds like fun or coming home from work to relax just to do more work, I can see the appeal and how ambitious this is for some but not for others unless some of that can be automated as Eastmen mentions.

Thanks.
Not sure if that sounds like fun or coming home from work to relax just to do more work, I can see the appeal and how ambitious this is for some but not for others unless some of that can be automated as Eastmen mentions.
Some stuff certainly can. I think for some of the larger ships your going to want your friends or ORG with you. But think of it this way.

Orion - Max crew 7

Prospector - Max Crew 1

So if you want to just come home and relax and get some materials to sell you would pick the Prospector. If your like let me get Jupiter , Eastmen, Grall and so on and lets go get a bunch of materials and make a ton of money and perhaps have to worry about FPS raids and so on. Well lets grab the orion and a few other ships to protect it and lets go get the big cash. Its no different to me than getting on WOW and doing some solo content and then on the weekends getting some Raiding going on.

Not sure if that sounds like fun or coming home from work to relax just to do more work
That applies to pretty much the whole economy/gameplay from what I've seen: lots of annoying grindy boring un-fun stuff & then you get ganked by some dick in a warship & lose all your progress.
And if key parts of your crew have to AFK/lose connection at critical times? Can they just load back into your ship or you gotta traverse back to a base to pick them back up again?

Why the fuck does the cargo rotate on the cargo ships??? You rotate crew areas to produce artificial gravity (but they have some kind of handwavium, low volume low power artificial gravity tech suitable for use in tiny 1 person ships up to large space-stations so there doesn't even seem a good reason to do that).
Cargo can sit around in zero-G so rotating it is just a pointless complication :runaway:

This is a big issue I have with the ships too: lots of 'oh this looks cool' and 'this ship has this theme' rather than 'this is practical for what the ship is supposed to do' :nope:
So many ships with major design flaws like rotating cargo, engines that thrust in wrong place, horrible cockpit fields of view, terrible turret placement (and then they announce that one warship with perfect arcs/coverage), cargo/vehicle bays that don't fit a bunch of the vehicles, really odd complicated entry/exit procedures, totally pointless wings, oddly placed/shaped landing gear...

Sure, they can rework them to fix the broken stuff but why announce/release such obviously stupid/broken ideas in the first place?
Its a waste of time & the (huge amounts of) money of people who have already paid.

Last edited:
So I got to play in the PTU a bit today with patch 3.1. My framerate is much better hitting into the 30s while previously I was in the high teens. However slow downs are just as bad as ever. They really need to get the performance higher. The game looks beautiful but I am now running a ryzen 1700x @ 4ghz with a vega 56 and 16 gigs of ddr 4 3200 so I don't think I am asking much with a solid 30fps . I am hoping

What's fun about mining in other games where you just shoot at asteroids and fly through the debris over and over again? At least there would be a challenge and teamplay here. There would also be other careers and of course it would be more fun with human players. Just look at Sea of Thiefs. By the way, there is an interesting debate about that in the console thread (Gaming Value Propositions: What makes for a good game? *spawn*).

I also hope that one can spawn with teammates when they're in the same star system.

So I got to play in the PTU a bit today with patch 3.1. My framerate is much better hitting into the 30s while previously I was in the high teens. However slow downs are just as bad as ever. They really need to get the performance higher. The game looks beautiful but I am now running a ryzen 1700x @ 4ghz with a vega 56 and 16 gigs of ddr 4 3200 so I don't think I am asking much with a solid 30fps . I am hoping

There are still some critical bugs in the PTU version right now. Hopefully the public version will be better.

EDIT:

How do you like the new mobiGlas? I think is very good.

Last edited:
Its a lot easier to use. So I am happy about that . I can't seem to get out of a slow walk , I can sprint but I can't get my walk any faster

Well, human walking speed IS pretty slow tbh. Even small animals like cats and dogs have a faster natural walking rhythm.

Back