RiME [PS4, XO, PC, NX]

I've only watched some of it unfortunately. As a big fan of games which focus on environmental puzzles, this should be right up may alley. Unfortuantely I've managed to amass quite a bit of a backlog.

I asked because I'd like to believe I'm not completely brain damaged, heck even smart mostly, but The Witness really made me doubt that.

I finished the Witness. Don't think it was due to my extraordinary smarts, though. I'm just very patient and persistent. There were more than a couple of line puzzle that had me stumped for 30+ minutes. I also looked up 2 or 3 of them. (and once I knew the solution, I still had no real clue how they actually worked)

I also never wanna touch a game like that ever again.

It's beautiful...

Real 4k on the pro?

Looks like it would be a HDR masterpiece...

Unfortunately, backlog. Plus 30 seems steep, seems more like a 20 or 15 game. Although not in production values I guess.

I finished the Witness. Don't think it was due to my extraordinary smarts, though. I'm just very patient and persistent. There were more than a couple of line puzzle that had me stumped for 30+ minutes. I also looked up 2 or 3 of them. (and once I knew the solution, I still had no real clue how they actually worked)

I also never wanna touch a game like that ever again.
Rather prefer puzzles that annoy me but are solvable like in some modern games where they overload the screen with items, decoration, etc, and finding something needs a sharp eye (I have a couple of games of this kind, the last one being Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart on the XB1), or classic puzzles in games.

Some pictures from Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart.

screen2.jpg

nightmares-from-the-deep-the-cursed-heart-ce-14158.jpg

nftd-cursed-heart040.jpg

But from the sounds of it, the kind of puzzles in The Witness are more about badly explained mechanics or over complex controls.

^^ *sigh* Ah... Braid... At first I loved the game, and the satisfaction of being able to solve the increasingly difficult puzzles was incredible... until it got impossible (to me, at least). Once I saw the "solutions", I was quite disappointed.

Neat game. Wasn't even on my radar. Anyway I loved Braid. After watching a Rime review I could see a few similarities, but reminded me more of a 3D version of Limbo maybe mixed with Braid, Ori & maybe the new King's Quest. Has me intrigued enough to want to check out after it's $15 or less. Not something I would spend $30 on.

Tommy McClain

Rather prefer puzzles that annoy me but are solvable like in some modern games where they overload the screen with items, decoration, etc, and finding something needs a sharp eye (I have a couple of games of this kind, the last one being Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart on the XB1), or classic puzzles in games.

screen2.jpg

nightmares-from-the-deep-the-cursed-heart-ce-14158.jpg

nftd-cursed-heart040.jpg

But from the sounds of it, the kind of puzzles in The Witness are more about badly explained mechanics or over complex controls.

The mechanics are all explained entirely through gameplay and the controls couldn't be any simpler actually. It just gets deviously hard because the game gradually stacks all the rules you've learned on top of each other. In a Dark Souls like fashion, the Witness is also rather open-ended. This means that you'll encounter puzzles you cannot possibly hope to solve as early as 10 minutes into the game. It's then up to you to seek out the parts of the island specifically designed to teach you the way in which to tackle these puzzles. The game is logical to the extreme. It just gets really complex.

Well, that's what's The Witness is all about. You have to understand the mechanics by observation, trials and errors. Once you understood them (for each puzzle), the puzzle part is basically over.

Also the Witness is not only about rules and puzzles using a basic 2D board. There are others "puzzles", you could call them environmental puzzles that require observation in a 3D world...or just a bit of luck until you stumble onto them...

Almost 3 years later & I finally finished it. Started it 2 weeks ago when I found it on Game Pass. So I didn't even spend $15 on it. LOVELY GAME. Even if a bit sad. :( Wasn't so hard I couldn't get 100% on it. 2nd game I've done that to in the past month(last one was The Gardens Between). Very similar vibes there(puzzles & somber theme). Highly recommend that if you liked RiME. If this is still on your backlog get it on Game Pass you won't regret it.

Tommy McClain

Yes, a very lovely game with nothing too difficult or complex to solve. I finished all but one achievement when it first entered GamePass. Now that its leaving GamePass, I went back to complete the last achievement.

I also completed The Garden Betweens. Similar stylish graphics and unique puzzles involving time warping.

Both were entertaining games that I otherwise wouldn't have played were it not for GamePass.

Loved those too! Finished both of those a few months ago. Created a 100% group for games I got all the achievements & I put both of those in. I'm pretty bad at not finishing all the achievements, but those 2 were worth the extra work. Also added What Remains of Edith Finch & I'm working on a couple more Game Pass games. Hopefully I can finish them before they leave the service.

Tommy McClain

Back