Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

Discussion in 'VR and AR' started by idsn6, May 8, 2013.

1. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

Things like chairs and treadmills are interesting for specific problems. They're not how VR will reach millions of more users. They're a niche that'll happen after more widespread adoption. The spousal approval barrier on those is huge.

Oculus were pushing it with their launch price point and minimum spec as it was.

2. MfA

MfA
    Legend

You could make it look like a normal office chair. Lock the wheels in VR mode, plug in and hit VR chat to roleplay Ugandan Knuckles.

Spending a bit of money to make VR more successful in the niches where it can actually be successful on the short term prevents backlash and bad PR. It's not the normies growing revenue in VR at the moment.

eloyc likes this.
  3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Sure but try to convince most spouses to allow a wired hookup that hangs from the ceiling. :) My fiancé already thinks gaming is equivalent to using drugs. :p

I could probably convince her to have an Oculus Rift in the house as it is unobtrusive and the whole thing can relatively easily be hidden away when not in use.. I definitely would have no chance to convince her to allow me to install a Vive in the house with the light houses.

Among my group of RL friends, only one married person has a Vive, the rest of them that have VR could only get approval for an Oculus Rift.

Myself, I want a Pimax 8Kx. My only route to getting approval for it is as a development display that will allow me to potentially reduce the amount of displays I have on my work desk. IE - less visible "clutter". Since it uses light houses as well, I'm going to have to hope you can use those relatively close to the headset like the Oculus Rift sensor.

Techie couples would have no problems. But mass market? Going to run into some issues.

I wonder if that's also part of the reason the Oculus Rift has been outselling the Vive for the past few months. That and the lower price point.

Regards,
    SB

cheapchips likes this.
  4. MfA

MfA
    Legend

The ceiling thing was just something which could be made ultracheap for use with a normal swivel chair.

I still don't see a mass market for VR period, not in the sense of living room use. Why would you lock yourself off completely from your environment in a living room? TV and couch gaming can be shared, and still allow some human contact ... someone with a VR headset on is an accessory in the room, an ugly accessory.

It can be as mass market as gaming and Second Life, something you best do behind a desktop PC. An environment in which you can have a far superior experience. Lack of physical rotation seeming to be the biggest problem for motion sickness, so please someone solve it ... cheaper than RotoVR.

5. manux

Veteran Regular

Roundup of news

Eye tracking from tobii. Not just for rendering but also as a game mechanics. Looks solid and is getting rave reviews. This seems to be good improvement over non eye tracking solution

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/13/tobii-vr-eye-tracking/

Official vive wireless headset adapter
    https://www.roadtovr.com/ces-2018-vive-wireless-adapter-hands-on-robust-connection-latency-too/

Yet another hands on for vive pro

https://www.roadtovr.com/ces-2018-vive-pro-hands-on-much-more-than-an-improved-screen/

Weirdest gaming "chair" ever?

https://uploadvr.com/yaw-vr-portable-motion-simulator-seat-headset/

6. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Awesome! This is something (mechanized device with 3DoF) that I speculated on in a prior post in the thread as potentially being able to overcome most forms of motion sickness. Similar to industrial and military flight training devices or high end display oriented amusement park "rides".

If the latency in response for the device is low enough it may provide enough physical feedback to the ear canal and your body that your brain will be fooled into thinking you are actually feeling physical forces that match what your eyes see visually.

It likely won't help much with walking motions, but should with driving or piloting.

Regards,
    SB

7. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

my cousin got the tp cast for the vive and it sucks , its alot of work to get going and just adds weight to the headset.

I think Oculus is right in waiting until 2019 for their next headset. They should be able to get a higher res perhaps even 4k panels with some type of eye tracking to reduce the rendering load and hopefully they can introduce it in a package as light as the current rift

8. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Maybe TPCast sucks, but is this better?

9. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

dunno , its not out yet so i can't really tell you. I do hope they are able to get the wireless portion down in cost , reduced in weight and lag free without needing point of sight. I believe we are going to have to wait for the headset companies to include it in the headsets so its not a bulky add on

10. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Neither the weight or finnickyness will change much. 60 GHz is line of sight and the weight is mostly because of the battery. I did say it was a suboptimal solution.

At 5 GHz you need a ton of compression, especially with warping motion I doubt that will be visually lossless.

11. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

the battery isn't the problem , that sits on your belt or in your back pocket. The real problem is the piece on the head set.

Line of site isn't horrible but i don't want to have to use their router . What I would like is a small usb adapter thatn i can run up the wall , maybe 2 of them for better coverage and thats it. Ithe curernt stuff requires their own router

12. MfA

MfA
    Legend

It's 24 Gb/s, USB doesn't cut it.

PS. oops that's the displaylink solution, still that's where you want to go.

13. manux

Veteran Regular

14. Silent_Buddha

Legend

15. manux

Veteran Regular

https://uploadvr.com/googles-new-light-field-app-tantalizing-look-vrs-future/

milk likes this.
  16. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

17. xexuxjy

Newcomer

manux likes this.
  18. manux

Veteran Regular

19. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Watching that I kept hoping the girl would turn towards the player and scream out, "STOP THAT YOU PERVERT!" Of course, it wasn't going to happen as that's the type of person they want to draw in. :D

Sex sells. I think more things like this that are less obviously pervy than Illusion games may end up being the killer app. for VR. I've seen quite a few people on reddit who have bought a VR headset just to play Illusion games.

Regards,
    SB