Revolution's historical back catalogue NOT free

Uhhh.. not to mention the fact that the only thing Nintendo has going for them is their catalog?

No catalog, no Nintendo. They give it away for free, and they've given away their entire company.

They have to charge, and I would imagine they will charge for limited use. You won't be able to pay $5 to download an entire game and play it forever on your Revolution.

Where's the profit in that? Far better to make you pay each time you download the game... it's like putting quarters into an arcade game. That model seemed to have worked.

If people were willing to go to arcades and shell out pockets full of quarters to play Donkey Kong for hours on end, I don't see why they wouldn't do the same from the comfort of their own homes.

RancidLunchmeat said:
Uhhh.. not to mention the fact that the only thing Nintendo has going for them is their catalog?

No catalog, no Nintendo. They give it away for free, and they've given away their entire company.

They have to charge, and I would imagine they will charge for limited use. You won't be able to pay $5 to download an entire game and play it forever on your Revolution.

Where's the profit in that? Far better to make you pay each time you download the game... it's like putting quarters into an arcade game. That model seemed to have worked.

If people were willing to go to arcades and shell out pockets full of quarters to play Donkey Kong for hours on end, I don't see why they wouldn't do the same from the comfort of their own homes.

The problem is, people have been able to play these games that are cataloged on their PCs for years. So if they do set up a pay-to-play type of arcade system....to me..that will completley flush the whole idea down the toilet. Younger gamers wouldn't want to play these games to begin due to the simple graphics...and why would they when you got a Next Generation Zelda, Donkey Kong ~%Instert Nintendo First Party Game here%~ to play.

I would never shell out money everytime I wanted to play the two original Zelda's, if they DO do that...then hell...I'm going to avoid the online catalog like the plague....

Hey,

They're going to make it available for those that want it. They're certainly not going to make it free.

And all those people playing on their PCs for all these years have been doing so illegally.

How often have people used the P2P/file sharing excuse that "if only" the RIAA could get their act together and provide an easy to use, legal solution, they'd gladly do that instead?

Sure.. why would you want to pay to play Super Mario brothers when you can just download the roms and run it on your PC with an emulator? Maybe because you feel bad? Maybe because the older games will get a slight update before their online release (although I doubt it).

Or maybe just because the market of people running emulators isn't the market of people that Nintendo is trying to target with this program.

RancidLunchmeat said:
Hey,

They're going to make it available for those that want it. They're certainly not going to make it free.

And all those people playing on their PCs for all these years have been doing so illegally.

How often have people used the P2P/file sharing excuse that "if only" the RIAA could get their act together and provide an easy to use, legal solution, they'd gladly do that instead?

Sure.. why would you want to pay to play Super Mario brothers when you can just download the roms and run it on your PC with an emulator? Maybe because you feel bad? Maybe because the older games will get a slight update before their online release (although I doubt it).

Or maybe just because the market of people running emulators isn't the market of people that Nintendo is trying to target with this program.

Your talking about wanting me to feel bad if I use an emulator as opposed to paying a fee everytime I want to play the same game (I.E Super Mario, Zelda...Donkey Kong Country) multiple times. Like I said...I wouldn't be apposed to paying a fee to get the game...but pay THAT fee only once (So I basically OWN the game), I would NOT want a pay-to-play system..where I pay to play the game, STOP..come back later..and have to pay again...if they do impliment a pay-to-play arcade system...then I won't feel that bad using my SNES emulator.

The problem is, people have been able to play these games that are cataloged on their PCs for years. So if they do set up a pay-to-play type of arcade system....to me..that will completley flush the whole idea down the toilet. Younger gamers wouldn't want to play these games to begin due to the simple graphics...and why would they when you got a Next Generation Zelda, Donkey Kong ~%Instert Nintendo First Party Game here%~ to play.

Who has ? Cause there are lot of people out there that aren't alot more than who are and those people would love to pay a small sum for this . Heck i have them emulated but i would love to thave them on a console and get to play around a tv instead of by myself

Now i admit paying 30$ for a nes game isn't apealing but i don't think nintendo is that stupid and i really think for the nes games you will see a 1$-2$ charge. Nintendo coudld still rake in the dough

jvd said:
Now i admit paying 30$ for a nes game isn't apealing but i don't think nintendo is that stupid and i really think for the nes games you will see a 1$-2$ charge. Nintendo coudld still rake in the dough
Hopefully. In the past, collections have been decidedly overcharged for (especially since they rarely offer optional improvements on the old games and whatnot), but they've been getting better of late. The ones that command a higher price tend to be good bundles (like the Megaman Anniversary Collection), and the rest are learning to not be asinine about it. (Honestly, some bundles were giving 6 Atari 2600 games with 3 not so desirable ones $40 price tags. :rolleyes: )

Still, I see a lot of $4-5 per game tags, and for the most part that's still unreasonable. Offhand, I'd think Nintendo would be best off tossing a good sum of free ones out there (basically ones you couldn't get away with charging ANYTHING for, but still add to your "available game" numbers and heck SOME people will play them for nostalgia's sake ;) ), making most other ones cost a minimal amount like $1-2, and perhaps get away with charging $5 for hot titles (or using them also as incentives for buying their new games).

I'm not going to hold my breath, though, because most companies have gone through stages of completely over-estimating their legacy titles in the broad scheme of things.

N64 games are a different kettle of fish, too. I don't see them going for less than 20% of the cost of a new game (especially since AA, etc will likely be applied easily).

Still, the choice is fantastic. I always wanted to play the 64 zeldas, even tried to hunt a Cube down for one, but no luck for a reasonable price.

PARANOiA said:
Still, the choice is fantastic. I always wanted to play the 64 zeldas, even tried to hunt a Cube down for one, but no luck for a reasonable price.
Yeah, but that's the rub right there: "reasonable price." I mean if your guesstimation is right, you'd still be paying about what you can find the Zelda Collector's Edition for. ;) (Though maybe a bit more, now, since there are only fewer and fewer of them out there. Last I saw them, they were sitting on shelves for $30-ish.)

RancidLunchmeat said:
Far better to make you pay each time you download the game... it's like putting quarters into an arcade game. That model seemed to have worked.
Indeed, and it continues to work so well that arcades are a roaring success all over the world while consoles are all but dead.

I just want to make it known that I understand that Nintendo will NOT release these games for FREE, I expect Nintendo to have some type of charge for each game. What I don't want is to have to pay to play the game evertime I Stop then play again (sorta like puting a quarter into a arcade machine). Nor do I want to pay a subscription fee (Monthly, Yearly..whatever). I want to be able to PAY for the game and OWN the game...OWN as in...the game is permenantly on the Revolution and I pay for it once and only once. Anything else is just milking Revolution gamers....

Fodder said:
RancidLunchmeat said:
Far better to make you pay each time you download the game... it's like putting quarters into an arcade game. That model seemed to have worked.
Indeed, and it continues to work so well that arcades are a roaring success all over the world while consoles are all but dead.

Uhh... are you serious?

I mean, really?

The reason that arcades are dying all over the world is because PCs and Consoles are able to deliver the same or better graphical performance in the comfort of the gamer's OWN home.

That's why the Arcades that do still exist, all go beyond the simple Joystick/Button Push games of old. Now, Arcades live off of gyroscopic contraptions, dance pads, simulations that require more input than a simple hand-held controller.

We're talking about games that don't require any of those things, require only a gamepad, and will be available in the Gamer's own home.

The quarter-per-play model only failed because PCs and Consoles offered the same experience with more convienance.

Thats why arcades had to shift into "riding the motorcycle" or "skating on the skies" or "riding the jetski" or "dancing on the pads", because the Graphics weren't any better.. But arcades had more room to provide a better INTERFACE.

What we're talking about here are games that don't require a "better interface", but will remove the problem of convienance.

In 1980 WHATEVER, would you have gone to the arcade to play Donkey Kong at 25 cents a pop, or would you rather spend (Whatever in 1980 $) to buy the console and play EVERY game at 25 cents a pop from your own home?

Personally, I think that's a very viable model. No, it doesn't work for people like BT who just downloads the rom files and plays them through an emulator on his PC.

But he's the minority. He's not the general public.

Tell me.. You wouldn't REALLY spend 25 cents RIGHT NOW to just log onto the internet and play a game of Pacman? Especially if it had RANKINGS that told you how far everybody else in the WORLD got on that same 25 cents?

I sure as hell would. Now, I wouldn't buy a $300 console for that ability, but if my Xbox or PS2 right now had the ability for me to log in, charge me 25 cents and let me play an old school game to see how well I could do?

Sure, I would. And I'd probably end up spending $5 tonight trying to increase my score.

Would I actually do it more than one night? Maybe not... Then again, next time I didn't have anything else do to because the mission in GTA:SA was stupid as hell and I didn't want to have to chase down 3 guys on an ATV with some dumb bitch yelling in my ear and just wanted to play a mindless video game for a minute.. I just might say "What the hell? It's only 25 cents"

Difference between the arcade analogy is the arcade requires me to drop a buck in a machine ($AU of course!). The Rev model discussed above, if it's pay-per-play, requires me to buy a machine, memory card, extra controllers, etc, and THEN pay to play games separately. Don't think a lot of "arcade" type gamers will want to pay per play when they just lumped down for a game machine, when arcades never required the investment.

BlueTsunami said:
I just want to make it known that I understand that Nintendo will NOT release these games for FREE, I expect Nintendo to have some type of charge for each game. What I don't want is to have to pay to play the game evertime I Stop then play again (sorta like puting a quarter into a arcade machine). Nor do I want to pay a subscription fee (Monthly, Yearly..whatever). I want to be able to PAY for the game and OWN the game...OWN as in...the game is permenantly on the Revolution and I pay for it once and only once. Anything else is just milking Revolution gamers....

Rest assured, I don't think that will happen. Either Nintendo is going for a monthly suscription model for all games or they're a charging a fixed sum to actually buy the game.

Game prices will likely be based on console generation... something like $3 for a NES game $6 for a SNES game and $10 for a N64 game. Some games might buck that though for higher premium pricing, like popular brands (ex: Super Mario Bros), games that get new localizations/translations (ex: Fire Emblem) or games with new content added (ex: F-Zero X + Expansion Kit). There also might be "franchise" deals in place (EX: get Metroid & Super Metroid together for $8 ).

I expect we'll also see lots of "free" promotions for games as well. Like buying Metroid Prime 3, you get a Metroid game download free. You get a free game download on your birthday. Subscribe to Nintendo Power and get 2 game downloads free. Get 1000 "Nintendo points" by registering purchases and get 5 game downloads free. Maybe even have a rotating slection of "free" games available every month. Stuff like that.

I also see plenty of 3rd parties getting in on the action by rereleasing their classic NES/SNES/N64 libraries, especially on the Japanese side. Square Enix will make a killing off this.

Hopefully. In the past, collections have been decidedly overcharged for (especially since they rarely offer optional improvements on the old games and whatnot), but they've been getting better of late. The ones that command a higher price tend to be good bundles (like the Megaman Anniversary Collection), and the rest are learning to not be asinine about it. (Honestly, some bundles were giving 6 Atari 2600 games with 3 not so desirable ones $40 price tags. )

Not to bust on you but in the past games cost more because they were most likely reporgramed for the new release . I.e gameboy isn't the same as a nes so someone had to make it work on a nes . Each game was diffrent . Now they can make 1 emulator and it should run all the games fine .

In the past you also had the cost of the cart that would limit the price you can sell it at beofre making a profit .

THe stuff they emulated they gave away free. See the zelda disc for the cube.

I think with the programing costs gone since the games are done they can charge alot less for the games . They can also price according to popularity .

Games that no one remembers wont be the same cost as say mario kart .

jarrod said:
I also see plenty of 3rd parties getting in on the action by rereleasing their classic NES/SNES/N64 libraries, especially on the Japanese side. Square Enix will make a killing off this.
Square Enix has been selling significantly retrofitted versions of old games with the full prices, so it's questionable that Nintendo's new scheme works well with the Square Enix business model.

one said:
jarrod said:
Square Enix has been selling significantly retrofitted versions of old games with the full prices, so it's questionable that Nintendo's new scheme works well with the Square Enix business model.

Huh ?

Final fantasy 1+2 were sold together on the gba for 30$ . That is basicly 15$ each. Which is 35$ less per game. Meaning you saved 70$ :)

I wonder how the download system will work, per region or just one big catalogue for everyone to acces?

I'd buy a Revolution for all of those Japanese Nintendo games alone. ;)

Advance Wars NES/SNES
Sin & Punishment
... :D

Nintendo have their franchises and development talent going for them. That what makes up Nintendo, not just their old games. I mean by your reasoning even if they sold these games instead of giving them away then they would have sold Nintendo and at the end of the gen Nintendo wouldn't excist anymore :) That's not going to happen since Nintendo are always making new generations of their games.

On the issue of wether to charge a fee or not. I can understand the argument of selling these games for some kind of fee. But I don't agree that giving the games away on Revolution means that those games are gone and can never be sold again. Nintendo have sold many of these games many times over and even if tens of millions got them free on Revolution they can still sell them again, on handhelds for instance. Also giving the games away on Revolution would be an amazing feature for the console and would draw millions of customers who would then buy the new games on the platform. So its not as if Nintendo would really be giving the games away, they would be offering them as an incentive to buy their console to gain more market share and so gain more game sales for their newer software. But obviously Nintendo are going to have some kind of fee there for these games. So in that case what fee is right? IMO if its really going to be a big draw for the console then the fee's have to be very low. Say, $1.50-$2 for a NES game, $2.50-$3 for a SNES game and $3.50-$4 for an N64 game.

They could also offer pay per play. Like 50 cents to $1 a month, so you can try the games out and if you really love them buy them permanently. Over here in the UK I know people who pay 50 pence a night for crappy games on Sky Active, playing very basic games with a TV remote.. So being able to pay less then that for a catalog of games that are infinetely superior would go down very well with those people.

Back