Revolution's historical back catalogue NOT free

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Shifty Geezer, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=9389

2. Qroach

Veteran

Vive la bomba!

3. BlueTsunami

BlueTsunami I laugh at you! HA HA HA!
    Veteran

I wasn't expecting it to be free....but I do hope they allow the whole catalog to be accessible from the start. I hope they don't do a limited edition thing where you have to buy a limited edition game just so you can get a previous Zelda. I would be willing to pay $2-5 per game (only once per game), which would stay on my Revolution and I can play anytime I want...

4. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Considering the proces they charge for retro games on GB, I can't imagine cheap access to Nintendo's back catalogue :(

5. BlueTsunami

Veteran

Yeah..that would really suck if they have obscene amounts listed for the more popular games. The weird thing is, when recieving these games..you getting thing in pure data form....no packages...no physical mediums that hold them (CD, Cartridges)....so I don't see how Nintendo could justify a price of anything above $7 per game. If thats the case....then i'm just going to stick to my good old fashioned emulators on my PC....

6. Qroach

Veteran

7$ is too much in my opinion.

7. Natoma

Veteran

Oh boo. :( :cry:

8. strat_ax

Newcomer

9. pc999

Veteran

DAMM ... but expected :cry:

10. Dural

Regular

Maybe they will release them in packs, like all the Super Mario Bros. from NES for $5.

11. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

12. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=6320

With all the screw balls these companies throw I would not count anything out. I personally doubt they will be free, but it seems even Iwata is not sure how they will charge for them and Kaplan indicates free is an option they are looking at.

Iwata's comments may be a reaction to the expectation they will be free from Harrison (or whoever it was at Nintendo) being (mis?)quoted as saying they will be free.

13. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Kerrin's comment was 6th June. Iwata's is from today and from the very top of the food chain - his word is pretty final.

14. Evil_Cloud

Veteran

What? Did anyone honestly expect it to be free? This is Nintendo's viable online business plan! Free online games, with the cost that comes along with this being covered by their online game purchase system.

Imagine Pokémon MMORPG's for free (no first party nintendo game is charged). ;)

15. BlueTsunami

Veteran

OMG....a Pokemon MMORPG...dude.....I didn't even think about that...that would actually kinda rock. A whole online world with other players, where you catch pokemons that are common, obscure then Rare...you'll get to battle other players in arenas...but to get to those you must first go through gym leaders....hmmmmm

*Goes and plays World of Warcraft..but is really thinking about Pokemon Online :oops:

16. clem64

Newcomer

I'm still waiting to see how this will turn out but I'm really curious to see if this means we'll be able to play games like Goldeneye, Perfect dark, JFG, etc..., in hi-res at 60fps! Probably not but hey, a guy can always dream :).

17. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

hi-res will only go so far to hide the incredibly low resolution textures :wink:

18. Johnny Awesome

Veteran

I don't think this feature is all that great really. Not many will care about it IMO. Just a few nostalgia freaks like the ones on this board. :)

19. BlueTsunami

Veteran

ahahaha....yeah, but I guess this fits in the view of Nintendo wanting to reach out to young and old. These great games would be more focused towards the older crowd that has played these games and wouldn't mind revisiting them. As far as the young goes...and the visuals of some of these games...I believe they probably wouldn't touch them with a ten foot stick...

20. Farid

Farid Artist formely known as Vysez
    Veteran Subscriber

People who seriously expected Nintendo to offer a free access to its back catalogue, are stupid. Sorry people, but it's true. :p

I mean what would be the point for Nintendo letting MILLIONS of people downloading tons of games (Including "heavy" N64 games) and therefore using a ton of bandwidth (Which is far from free)?

If Nintendo really wanted to give you access to all its old games, it would have been wiser to include a packed-in DVD-ROM with all thoses ROMs. That would at least save Nintendo a few BajillionBytes of bandwidth.