Revolution is officially called...*drumroll*

Powderkeg said:
And the winner of the 2006 Chevy Nova Award is.........
damnit! beat me to it!

Let me guess, the blue back lighting is now being replaced with a more "happy" and "lively" color: yellow

Note to Nintendo: Fire your marketing department NOW. You have just made your product into a punchline for the Western world.

Around here, past the surprise of the announcment, noone really cares about the name, the explanation is even liked...
(Told to about 10 people)

Ingenu said:
Around here, past the surprise of the announcment, noone really cares about the name, the explanation is even liked...

I wouldn't expect there to be much headache over a console named 'yes'.

One that is named 'urine' or 'genitals' is a different matter.

Ingenu, what is french for urine? Or rather, French slang for urine? Ask a couple people how they feel about naming a console that.

winstonsmith1978 said:
anything from Revolution, Rev, Revo, RS, N5, Go, or even i-i, would have been better.

I even like The Nintendo Magic Stick better. I'm confused with Nintendo.

I agree with this 100%

i-i would've been pretty cool.:smile:

Ingenu said:

In the world of marketing, I don't think you're supposed to pick a name that requires explanation to be understood. Wii alone is just goofy, and doesn't mean anything to the console to an uninformed consumer outside of uses in their native langauges (if any).

It doesn't matter much to me (as I'll buy it regardless of name), but I still have to question what kind of marketing department would choose a name like that.

I'd have gone for Nintendo Wave... or some positive hand gesture. :(
Works with their blue ocean strategy too. Now Wii just makes me think of yellow ocean.

If your marketting name needs explaining, it doesn't work. It should either be obvious (Adidas 'Predator' football boots) or subtle, but if it has a meaning it should be got by the public without having to talk them through it. Also the explanation is 99 times out of 100 irrelvant. iPod - what's does that mean. No-one knows. No-one cares. Why is Coca Cola called Coca Cola, or eBay called eBay, and what does Mondeo mean? Take a name that sounds 'cool' and serviceable, either something random or a concatenation of components that describe the product, or somesuch, and then market it until that name becomes something that means something. If the name has other unwanted meanings, don't use it. Full stop. You won't get Ford trying to market the 'Ford Krappie' or Apple's new portable media device being called the 'Apple rSwipe', no matter how it's spelt, because people can't talk about them.

Purely anecdotal, but I've told a couple of people here (english-speaking country), and they kind of laughed, and at most wondered about the spelling. They're not really gamers at all. Maybe people more generally will find it light-hearted...?

Perhaps. I tried the name with my wife too and she didn't get the negative drift. However Nintendo may alienate some more of its remaining hardcore supporters though. Why risk it ? One has to wonder what they (will) gain by calling it "Wii" ?

Right, I like the name, you guys need to lighten up. It's all about having fun. If you can make somebody laugh by telling them that you're going to play with your Wii then that's great!

Baraclese said:
Right, I like the name, you guys need to lighten up. It's all about having fun. If you can make somebody laugh by telling them that you're going to play with your Wii then that's great!

Baraclese, the majority of the posters in this thread will possibly get a wii regardless, and may not be bothered by the name themselves, it's about nintendo casting a blow at their new console in the most daft manner possible - what do you think the image of the console in the teen-to-early-twenties demographics be? then ask yourself why does it have to be like that?

thatdude90210 said:
Marketing people... sheesh.

There will be no appropriate way of talking about this thing.

"my roommate is playing with my wii."
"wanna come over and play with my wii?"
"my mom is playing with my wii."
Maybe thats what will make people play it. I'm fairly indifferent regarding the name. I like it after letting it settle in, though at first, my very initial reaction: "GAF and forums are going to blow the fuck up". And I try to get to neogaf, and receive no response, its down.

Toyko, April 27th -- In a stunning turnaround, Nintendo has responded to worldwide criticism of the recently announced name for their next generation console. Nintendo has stated that Wii will be used as the name of the console in the Japanese market, but in North America and Europe, it will be know by an acronym: The Ultimate Revolution Device.

Nintendo executives explain: "We decided that for North American and European markets, we need to emphasive how revolutionary the TURD is. It is a total departure from traditional consoles. The new TURD stick controller enables revolutionary new styles of game play, while the the Wifi capability allows multiple TURDs to congregate together."

Continuing...

"Players can wave their TURD Stick(tm) around like a sword, or swing it like a tennis racket. When combined with TP (TURD Pad), it enables unparalleled control in First Person Shooter environments."

The Nintendo TURD - The Ultimate Revolution Device.

I don't know. The more I think about it, the more I think it may elicit curiousity in the product certainly among the wider market, beyond what's normal for a Nintendo system. I think the key for Nintendo is to ensure that that product, and the communication of that product, is effective enough to get people past the initial humor/novelty of the name, and get people to think "that actually sounds really cool" (the product, not the name) and to want to try it.

It will generate curiousity and attention. How they communicate the product beyond the name will be important.

(And yes, I'll be getting one regardless. They could call it WorstGameConsoleEver and I'd still buy it :)).

Titanio said:
I don't know. The more I think about it, the more I think it may elicit curiousity in the product certainly among the wider market, beyond what's normal for a Nintendo system. I think the key for Nintendo is to ensure that that product, and the communication of that product, is effective enough to get people past the initial humor/novelty of the name, and get people to think "that actually sounds really cool" (the product, not the name) and to want to try it.

It will generate curiousity and attention. How they communicate the product beyond the name will be important.

(And yes, I'll be getting one regardless. They could call it WorstGameConsoleEver and I'd still buy it :)).

I don't care how much effort they put into trying to make the name "cool" it's going to be associated with diapers and urine. Nintendo is already considered "kiddie" and this name seems aimed right at the potty-training crowd.

Fact is the system is essentially named the Nintendo Piss, and there is just no way you can make that sound cool.

Titanio said:

i'd be getting one even if it was called cleavland steamer. that does not change the daftness of the marketing decision, though.

Powderkeg said:
I don't care how much effort they put into trying to make the name "cool" it's going to be associated with diapers and urine. Nintendo is already considered "kiddie" and this name seems aimed right at the potty-training crowd.

Fact is the system is essentially named the Nintendo Piss, and there is just no way you can make that sound cool.

I guess my point isn't about it sounding cool - it doesn't - but eliciting enough curiousity to get people to take a closer look. What happens thereafter is crucial - whether their perception of the product itself then overtakes the first impression of the name, or not.

Maybe I'm just being sympathetic, I don't know :p

I have to say this is pretty stupid. The schoolyard cred arguement goes triple for the workplace. I'm not going into a meeting and telling people I played with my Wii on the weekend.

It's hard enough being taken seriously when you are an adult gamer in the corporate office, let alone this crap.

I've just come home from a torturously long funeral (mostly because of the multi-hour car ride either direction) and read this only just now.

And I have to say, DAMN, but Nintendo managed to fuck up a perfectly named console and replace it with something inane and stupid. I'm not even touching all the "wii = wee" jokes that are flying about, I don't have to. Wii is simply put a dumb name. It's a silly made-up word trying to be catchy that doesn't mean anything, and the only thing worse than a silly made-up name trying to be catchy, is one that is also phonetically similar to an embarrassing word.

...And Nintendo struck gold on both counts! Well done! Feh, I thought they learned something when they renamed the cool-sounding Starcube into the meh-sounding Gamecube. Wii = teh suck.

I'll still buy the console, but it will nag and annoy me FOREVER that it carries such a sucky name, I just know it.

Back