Reviving the Oak Tech. Warp 5.

[EOCF] Tim

Newcomer
Oak Technology Warp 5 - Metabyte Wicked 3D

Thanks to themaddman I've been able to test out the Oak Warp 5, and made two video's of it. Even for Beta drivers, it's still quite impressive.

It's a shame the camcorder doesn't do the Image quality any good, because it's actually really quite impressive if you ignore the texture anomalies experienced in some games. Final Reality runs beautifully with no problems, and scores a 1.99, can't remember what a Riva 128 did back in the day though.

I'm still on the hunt for a newer driver version, so I can perhaps do a bit of proper benchmarking, I got hold of an old version of Fraps (1.9D), which I'm told does support Win9x, so maybe I can do some comparison shots and numbers with a Voodoo and Riva 128, maybe even record a direct video, it will take some time though, I'm quite busy atm.

Make sure you press the "watch in HD quality" button, let me know what you think. :)

Final Reality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdIWTjEDhkk&feature=channel_page

Need for Speed III (bit of fun racing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iHQVUOelwA&feature=channel_page

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I'm doing an IQ comparison atm between the various modes of the Warp 5. Now, I've just got to take this HD from the benchplatform, then copy the BMP's, en post back here. :)

Fraps seems to work so so, now and then it makes the black letterbox yellow, or the sky yellow, which is weird, needs DX8 for Directinput/hotkeys though, but running an fps log should perhaps work. Also I've got the distinct impression the fps counter lowers the frame rate here and there, strange.

Default IQ settings

Please compare the following comparison pictures to the third picture above, which uses the default settings of the Warp 5.

I'm not sure what happened, Beyond3D was down for me most of the day.

Here is the rest of the screenshots.

Texture Compression

Color : Max
Size : Max

Texture Filter Mode

Point Sample

Texture Compression

Texture Filter Mode

Biliniar

Texture Compression

Texture Filter Mode

Triliniar

Texture Compression

Texture Filter Mode

Vertex Extent

On

Texture Compression

Size : Min

Texture Filter Mode

Texture Compression

Color : Min

Texture Filter Mode

No problem, it was quite a surprise to me how nice the AA was as well.

Puzzles me why Oak didn't continue with the product, it did have potential, maybe it just wasn't fast enough in light of the imminent Voodoo 2 launch, maybe it costed too much to be viable.

[EOCF] Tim;1276147 said:
I think that was after Oak stopped the project though. I'm not sure.

I got the card about a year before Metabyte released the Voodoo2 based Wicked3d, and stopped getting updates after 6 months or so.... I was quite disappointed when they didn't send me a Voodoo2 to beta test too.

I'm pretty sure the chip was dead long before ATI picked up the technology from Oak.

Back