PlayStation Camera: What are the benefits?

you can put this in the thread about the camera.

Kinect 2's bom is quite low also and will have advantages over this implementation

I have never actually used the camera for anything, after I took it out of the box and played around with those little games that come with the ps4 for 5 minutes. Shame.

I have never actually used the camera for anything, after I took it out of the box and played around with those little games that come with the ps4 for 5 minutes. Shame.

Would you have bought it if it was over $100 or made the PS4 $500?

You have some people who only got the camera to complete the PS4 package so the lower price make that a easier buy for the little things that's not worth much money like face scanning , head tracking , broadcasting & so on.

Last edited:
Would you have bought it if it was over $100 or made the PS4 $500?
I wouldn't have bought the camera at £20 given no games were using it. I got mine in a bundle of PS4, two DS4 controllers, Killzone and camera but the bundle price was the same as buying the PS4, an extra controller and Killzone separately so it was effectively free.

It's not been used for so long I've not even seen the Sackboy addon for PlayRoom.

I wouldn't have bought the camera at £20 given no games were using it. I got mine in a bundle of PS4, two DS4 controllers, Killzone and camera but the bundle price was the same as buying the PS4, an extra controller and Killzone separately so it was effectively free.

It's not been used for so long I've not even seen the Sackboy addon for PlayRoom.

Cheap enough that it could be bundled in without making much of a difference in the price that's one of the things I said.

If the eye-tracking IP from SMI & other computer vision platforms continue to use the OV580 IPU from OmniVision it will basically make the parts used in the PS4 camera standard parts moving forward & shouldn't be a problem for Sony to just bundle it in without the price going up on the console.

Cameras are basically standard parts of all our devices now even Wii U , 3DS & Vita.

I do actually use the login features a lot. I guess you don't have multiple users?

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1815534/

Cameras on consoles just aren't used. All that potential is nigh worthless. This was apparent last gen with PSEye. Basically like Wii - Waggle was new, but no-one actually understood and embraced motion controls as a universal input augmentation. The end result was a gimmick and a return to the same basic IO methods. Sixaxis developed from Sony observing people playing games and waving the controller about, but no-one, not one person, actually adapted to that (most obviously, a platformer where a wave of the controller when pressing jump made the character jump higher). Devs just don't use fringe tech, gamers aren't interested in tech that isn't properly fleshed out, and the end result is a non-event. But that's basically true of most tech, die to risk an reward I suppose. Why invest in developing an IO system that might flop? So something new and fabulous comes along, people dream of what might be, then the dullness of cautious normality sets in and every wonderful, world-changing new vision boils down to a sad, grey little shadow of its potential with a few rudimentary applications.

Short form, for every wonderful, inspiring, visionary showcase of a new tech, divide it by 10 and that's what the real end result will be.

In direct response to OnQ's question, what are the advantages of PS4's camera? It's a waste of less money than a fancy depth-sensing camera which achieves about as little at considerably more cost.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1815534/

Cameras on consoles just aren't used. All that potential is nigh worthless. This was apparent last gen with PSEye. Basically like Wii - Waggle was new, but no-one actually understood and embraced motion controls as a universal input augmentation. The end result was a gimmick and a return to the same basic IO methods. Sixaxis developed from Sony observing people playing games and waving the controller about, but no-one, not one person, actually adapted to that (most obviously, a platformer where a wave of the controller when pressing jump made the character jump higher). Devs just don't use fringe tech, gamers aren't interested in tech that isn't properly fleshed out, and the end result is a non-event. But that's basically true of most tech, die to risk an reward I suppose. Why invest in developing an IO system that might flop? So something new and fabulous comes along, people dream of what might be, then the dullness of cautious normality sets in and every wonderful, world-changing new vision boils down to a sad, grey little shadow of its potential with a few rudimentary applications.

Short form, for every wonderful, inspiring, visionary showcase of a new tech, divide it by 10 and that's what the real end result will be.

In direct response to OnQ's question, what are the advantages of PS4's camera? It's a waste of less money than a fancy depth-sensing camera which achieves about as little at considerably more cost.

actually the features of the DS4 like motion sensing & touch are getting a lot of use so far. I thought that Xbox One controller not having the features was going to hold back devs but it don't seem to be the case. But as far as the camera go I think it being a standard part of the system would have made a big difference.I'm hoping that Sony pack it in as standard sometime in the next year or so.
By the way my question wasn't "what are the advantages of PS4's camera?" I said there isn't really anything special about the PS4 camera but that could be it's biggest advantage, Because the parts are being used in other products that's on the market so it's cheaper & made better use of the resources. off the shelf sensors & a IPU that's being used in SMI's eye-tracking IP & HP's Blended Reality computer system 'Sprout'

Say the chip end up in all the latest Tablets & Smartphones? that would make all the parts of the PS4 camera pretty much standard & the price will get lower & might find it's way into the PS4 as a standard part without making a impact on the price. Also if SMI's eye tracking start being put to good use in other products the software can also find it's way to the PS4.

Every dev isn't going to have a big idea, sometimes it's the small things that will make a big difference. like if a dev wanted to do something small like emotion detection or just head tracking in their game they will feel more comfortable doing it on the PS4 knowing that the PS4 camera can be bought at a cheap price if the person don't already have one.

Last edited:
I have the PlayStation camera and the only interesting thing is that it is useful for Morpheus VR.
So it's a good thing that it was cheap right? you wouldn't want to pay a high price for something that you only seen as a companion product to Morpheus right?

By the way why do you see it as being interesting for VR? is it just because you like VR or do you think it's going to do something in VR that it can't do without it?

Anyway I think we are at a point where Computer Vision should be a standard part of consoles even if it's just for little things & it don't have to always be a dancing wave your hands like you just don't care game. And you shouldn't have to pay a high price for it when all you want to do is something as simple as broadcast or head tracking in a game.

I just won an online match in Just Dance 2015 with a perfect score by just basically standing still, with my son in the fringe making the odd pixel move. It's really not great, and made me wish for Kinect and an Xbox for the first time, because I've seen it pick up my son in the store very well.

Oh, but I forgot on the other hand, that this game is using the camera perfectly in another way. Here and there you can choose to not look at the unhelpful 2d dance prompts, but instead you can look at sections from other players all over the world that recorded themselves dancing. I way prefer that, and it's somehow really cute. A nice evolution of Singstar's video sharing feature.

I just won an online match in Just Dance 2015 with a perfect score by just basically standing still, with my son in the fringe making the odd pixel move. It's really not great, and made me wish for Kinect and an Xbox for the first time, because I've seen it pick up my son in the store very well.

I think Just Dance is a game that is intentionally forgiving. If they really wanted to they could have tracked the PS4 controller like how they are tracking phones & Wiimotes or even made it 1:1 tracking with the Move.
Oh, but I forgot on the other hand, that this game is using the camera perfectly in another way. Here and there you can choose to not look at the unhelpful 2d dance prompts, but instead you can look at sections from other players all over the world that recorded themselves dancing. I way prefer that, and it's somehow really cute. A nice evolution of Singstar's video sharing feature.

It's little features like that is the reason I feel that cameras should be standard or at least cheap enough to be bundled in with a $60 game.

DS4 having sensors & multi-touch touchpad pretty much will give it the advantage over camera based controls in almost every case unless the feet are involved. I been thinking about camera based touch like controls a lot lately & it seem to me that even if the hand tracking is perfect there still will be a disconnect unless it's VR or AR/MR. The reason I been thinking of this is because I have been watching my nieces & nephews navigate through tablets & phones even at 1 years old with no problems at all & wondering how can this simplicity be matched on a TV with a console.

Ideas that I came up with to reach this is:

1. AR/MR with touch like controls but the problem with that is recreating the connecting they have with the touch of the screen. The visual connection work somewhat but it's still not as natural as touching a screen & moving stuff around with the swipe of a finger.

2. Making the TV into a touchscreen using the camera. the only problem is no one is going to want kids touching their TV. But this could be done so they don't actually have to touch the TV but be close enough to give them that connection.

3. Big touch pad/mat with LEDS to give a little bit of a visual connecting to let them know what it is that they are touching that's on the TV. I'm not really sure how that would work out it's just an idea I had.

4. Projector shinning on the floor or table with sensors.

1-introducingt.jpg

5. DS4 as a interactive AR card

You can see what the camera sees on the screen. In good light the body detection is good (who knows how the info is used). In general a person matching the moves better than another scores better, I've seen this with my kids where my oldest scores much better because she is much better at mimicking the moves. Getting a single perfect score on a move is not that unexpected, but you can't ace a song with what you are describing.

I thought so as well initially, but it really happened. I have the four trophies I earned with that to show for it.

In theory, when you look at what the camera sees then ideally, at least what it's showing when I am in the picture, it is about as good as the first Kinect was ... I can't really get it to recognise my son, but I don't have an ideal setup either - too little space. But then this really happened, so there are some flaws/holes in the system for certain.

What Arwin described isn't forgiving - it's broken.

Games like Just dance can't be broken because the game is playing you & keeping score lol. if you trick the game into giving you a high score without doing anything you're the one losing because you didn't have fun dancing. maybe the game glitched & the flicking of a light or the Sun made it appear as he was dancing even when he was standing still.

There is a reason why they went out of their way to make sure Kinect 2.0 wasn't affected by lighting. you can't see a flicking light with your eyes but a camera can see it.

You can use the Move or your smartphone & have the same amount of fun while playing Just Dance. if you look at the dancing blob you can see that the camera is giving the system clean data to use.

Back