Review cycles, the NV30.. and things

Sharkfood

Regular
Well, we all got what we waited for.. a review sample of the NV30, covered by several sources (not Beyond3D or 3DGPU yet, unfortunately..), so forums everywhere are amass with queries, generalizations, hypothesis and even a few humorous photoshop images devised by the more clever people in our midsts.

An interesting note- in the months prior, we had discussions as towards how to properly test/review a videocard. There were a number of angles, with Rev/Brian/gamers seeming to prefer some sort of baseline be used when comparing rival products, yet the more tech savvy prefer more apples to apples, technological/synthetic results from which maybe some form of performance/delivery can be derrived. Both can offer value, but can also create debate over decisions made (qualitative/subjective opinion of what is "equal" versus comparing 2x IHV A with 2x IHV B where the two resultant outputs may be totally different).

Interestingly enough, HardOCP and Anand's deviated from previous history and provided some very detailed analysis of image quality. They picked a criteria of AA + AF to build an assumed expectation that people deciding between the 9700 Pro and the GeforceFX will use, and illustrated the target resultant image quality as best they could through subjective commentary, screenshots and zoomed regions of output. I think most people found a lot of value from their reviews, albeit there is going to be some debate on whether the given output is valid/accurate (i.e. post-filter concerns, what may or may not be in screenshots, or whatnot).

Other sources, like hexus and Tom's did blind benchmarks- more true to tradition, and provided commentary with little substance or illustration to tie back to the commentary. This is another form of providing reviews and bases the opinion as a matter of trust to the reviewer rather than forcing the reviewer to provide evidence or substance. This is perfectly valid for sources with a large degree of trust built up from the past (i.e. kinda like folks that "trust" everything John Carmack has to say. If your following of his dialogue in the past 3+ years you feel has never steered you wrong, you might be more inclined to believe his suggestions without substantial proof or reasoning included.)

Now on to the NV30 itself. There has been a large degree of whining, complaining, missed expectations, crushed dreams or whatever else flowing everywhere on the internet. I think a lot of it really forgets past history that has insisted:
1) Reviews only tell half the story. With *EVERY* product release and review sample, it's what reviews DONT tell you which can often times be more weighty than what they do tell you. This is generally why people tend to prefer getting their information from 3, 4 or more sources that are deemed "reliable" in their microcosm of the internet. It's a practice that hopes to "fill in the cracks" from the pieces of various sources to get a better overall view.

I see that with xS antialiasing modes- adding texture sampling holds additional value at a higher cost, yet the results of that cost cannot be illustrated in still screenshots. Yet there has been little to no commentary on whether or not it indeed enjoys the benefits it pays the price for. There is a list a mile long of such points.

2) It has already been stated here the Geforce FX Ultra has no DX9.0 capabilities at this time. That's right- the first NVIDIA DX9.0 card and the review samples are floating around running apparently hacked DX8.1 GF4 drivers. This hasnt been noted by the sites involved, but has been at least somewhat confirmed here. Wouldn't this be an important thing to notate?

3) No single source has given ANY truly subjective, overall testimony to the products resultant "in practice" impressions. As they had only 2 days to hurridly run a suite of benchmarks, this is impossible to obtain. What will hold a ton of value are the commentary of a reviewer that has used this card over an extended period of time, throwing their stack of 3D games and applications at it.. and revealing how things went. How smooth it ran, what quirks or problems they encountered, what effects may really shine in ways no other product may have experienced, etc.etc.

4) On the size, heat, power consumption and other physical concerns- someone really needs to get some form of official NVIDIA confirmation that the final shelf product will be similar in these regards. Although most people feel it's pretty safe to assume the review samples are probably 90% close to the final target retail product, it sure wouldnt hurt to get an official word to end the debate or speculations of a physical design change between now and when it hits the shelf.

Taking all things above into consideration, I don't personally feel we are any closer to "unlocking the secrets of the beast" than we were 2-3 months ago. All I see are the efforts of a number of people that got something last week, burned the midnight oil as hard as they could to get as much tangible and related data posted by monday morning, and with no assurances or official word to the degree of similarity that what they reviewed/labored over has to the final product.

There's a lot to discuss here, and I hope such discussions can remain as untroll-worthy as possible, thanks. :)

Sharkfood said:
Taking all things above into consideration, I don't personally feel we are any closer to "unlocking the secrets of the beast" than we were 2-3 months ago.

Well, in all fairness we do know some about the performance in the games of today, but we still don't know a damn thing about what this card is really all about, namely CineFX.

After reading the reviews I'm now not convinced that only Nvidia can manufacturer the card, rather that manufacturers don't want to manufacturer believing that it won't sell in any volume whereas the mainstream product will probably sell ok.
As for CineFX, I don't think that will be anything that you don't see with the ATI R300 - just a glorified name for PR.
With the framerates that been shown with x4AA/x8AF maybe it just refers to CineCamera quailty. :LOL:

I must say I'm surprised the NVidia let these out when there is relatively little to show. Having lots of people cancel their pre-orders is surely not the intended effect. Waiting a few more weeks until there were DX9 drivers and demos couldn't have hurt much.

If they had DX9 drivers, they could show some long shader demo/benchmarks where I believe they might have an advantage over ATI (if they didn't use Cg and they gave the benchmark source, people might even believe them). Then they could make the future-proof case, and they could use it to sell the rest of their DX9 line which shouldn't be too far away.

As it is, their best benchmark is CodeCreatures and they can't make too many claims about it because people don't know how it works.

Maybe it's just that NV can't get the demos to work with sufficient stability. Saying that though, I didn't buy the 9700Pro based on the DX9 demo's - that was just a nice little extra to play with.

Somebody just did an interview a few days ago, and nVidia keeps insisting that the cooling solution is not representative of what one can expect from retail products. Does anybody really buy that? I know I surely don't.

I believe that the OEM's are going to use whatever cooling solution they can slap together that's as cost friendly as possible.

I really wonder how many of those OEM's are having second thoughts about this product, as compared to what ATI has to offer. Surely, there seems like a heck of a lot more incentive to build an R300 solution than NV30.

As per usual, IHVs are caught between a rock and a hard place.

They can go with the dustbuster, and get their cards out sooner with minimal expense, or they can design in some other cooling solution. Unfortunatley, the latter approach means later to maket and higher cost. And that option really doesn't look too good considering the already lateness of the FX, and the imminent release of the R-350.

So I think for the most part, we'll see the FXFlow. There might be a couple companies either shipping the FX later without the 'buster, or shipping "Version 2" of their FX product at a higher price along side the 'buster model.

I still keep wondering if something like the Zalman heatpipe with a quiet fan might not be adequate for the GF FX? But, perhaps, removing heat outside of the case as part of the cooling solution is critical if a case fan is not an assumption that can be made? Hmm...no, I don't think that would be a major concern with CPUs already putting out similar amounts of heat, unless there are airflow problems relating to the location.

Back