Restore 'My Documents' in My Computer?

Sobek

Locally Operating
Veteran
Hey all, just a quick question.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to restore the My Documents folder in My Computer...I've done a little trickery to work around a corrupted profile and am currently logged in as my Administrator account. However under this account I don't have the 'My Documents' folder in My Computer. Contrary to normality, i'd actually like to get this back, as browsing to Documents and Settings every time is pretty darn annoying.

Anyone know a way? Every guide out there only caters for removing the shared documents/my documents folder from My Computer, as opposed to offering some way to restore them.

Help much appreciated :)

1. Login as administrator
2. Create a new user account
3. Log in as that user, so a default profile is created
4. Log off and log back on as administator
5. Make sure you enable "show all files" and "show hidden files" in the explorer
6. Copy everything inside the old profile folder over the stuff in the new profile folder
7. Log off and back on as the new user

And you should have all your stuff back.

If you want to restore the old user name, the best way to do that is first doing the above, remove the old user, delete the profile, create a new user with the name of the first one, and do the above again.

Mmm, see that's the wierd thing...

If I delete the old corrupted profile, then remove it via Computer Management, then create a new profile via Computer Management or the User Accounts page (tried both), well when I go to log into the account, it just says something along the lines of "The system could not log you on, this profile has become corrupt. Now logging you on with the Default Profile."

So then i'm just forced into the default profile every time I try to log into that account and none of my settings save while i'm in that profile, making it useless.

I'm really against a repair/format because i've done that 2 times this month allready for various other reasons :p

I can just live with it for now until I can get around to doing a manual repair. But thanks for the help :)

Hey. I frequently use TweakUI (one hell of a helpfull tool that is), however it only allows you to change the location of the My Documents folder...

I'm just trying to get it to show up in my computer again. All I can see when I enter
My Computer is Shared Documents, which I can easily enough remove or restore via a registry entry. My Documents however..I just can't find any way to restore it back into My Computer. Perhaps i've missed something within TweakUI but i'm pretty sure I checked everything.

:)

Sobek said:
Mmm, see that's the wierd thing...

If I delete the old corrupted profile, then remove it via Computer Management, then create a new profile via Computer Management or the User Accounts page (tried both), well when I go to log into the account, it just says something along the lines of "The system could not log you on, this profile has become corrupt. Now logging you on with the Default Profile."

So then i'm just forced into the default profile every time I try to log into that account and none of my settings save while i'm in that profile, making it useless.

I'm really against a repair/format because i've done that 2 times this month allready for various other reasons :p

I can just live with it for now until I can get around to doing a manual repair. But thanks for the help :)
In that case, there is not much you can do than create a new user and manually copying the important stuff. Most likely your registry is currupt, and there's not much you can do about that if you cannot log on with that profile.

Throwing away corrupted profiles from users is something most admins do regulary.

Sobek said:
Hey. I frequently use TweakUI (one hell of a helpfull tool that is), however it only allows you to change the location of the My Documents folder...

I'm just trying to get it to show up in my computer again. All I can see when I enter
My Computer is Shared Documents, which I can easily enough remove or restore via a registry entry. My Documents however..I just can't find any way to restore it back into My Computer. Perhaps i've missed something within TweakUI but i'm pretty sure I checked everything.

:)

Ah, looks like I misunderstood your problem. Hmm, I don't know how to solve the problem other than by deleting and recreating the user as suggested.

Back