Resolution increases versus performance and overall IQ

Even FSAA isn't a substitute for higher resolution. At some point more pixels are needed to resolve the finer details, while AA is simply masking out the high-frequency artefacts and discontinuities. I think the screen resolution should go up in tandem with the overall graphics fidelity and detail. After all, what's the point of running an old title like Q2 in UHD or QHD mode if the assets' definition is well below that point. Sure it provides cleaner details for objects in the distance, as a byproduct.

Well that's exactly the problem. Game assets are not increasing in fidelity fast enough to keep up with screen resolutions.

It's ridiculous that we still have characters with blocky heads and shoulders on our fancy 4k monitors. It just looks stupid.

I haven't read the entire thread but you're all wrong. :p Dota at 4k is awesome. I assume other games look even better! Simply no compassion (and I use DSR with 1920x1200 at home). At some point increasing resolution won't make sense, but I don't think we're at that point yet.

I have nothing against high DPI, but I think we should first get the visuals "right" at 1080p. After seeing Planet Earth in 1080p, there's no way any of you guys would be complaining if your games looked like that. In fact I can barely tell the difference between 720 and 1080p on a 50in screen in a side by side comparison unless I got really close. The screens were plasma so probably way better than your average LCD (even budget plasmas look way better than LCD to me) but the point is, resolution isn't the most important thing when it comes to high quality visuals. For desktop use it's a different story.

Crazily, i'm playing blood dragon at less than native res sans proper aa and i love it. Probably an extreme example given the art direction. 60fps tho.....

Back