Resistance I-8 GDC footage and better R&C footage also

Status
Not open for further replies.
scooby_dooby said:
It is nice though, after all these months, to see what MS actually looks like. I honestly hope Sony gets absolutely hammered for this, I think reporters have a duty to do it. Then maybe one day, the era of pre-rendered movies will end, or at least, they will cease to be effective, and we can begin seeing real footage from all companies, on equal footing.

Well... again I understand how you feel, but I guess for me I'm such a fan of CGI anyway, I like seeing the renders even knowing the final game won't look anything like it. I just enjoy the videos. Granted, that's just me.

I think post-E3 you will see plenty of press bashing Sony on the CGI; I mean the fact is it's a good hit-generating business to do so.

And that's fine. For my part though it's more the individual posters who get, frankly, angry when they see the majority of posters don't share their revile of Sony's 'deceptive' tactics. I would just wish that these people could calm down. It's not as if people don't recognize that Sony was putting up dreams and fiction before, it's that most people ultimately don't care. :)

In the end no one's going to buy a game or not based on what the game was supposed to be, they buy a game or not based on what it is. And a game that looked ten times better in CGI can still, in the end, be a great game.

PS - By the way Scooby I think you and I generally have a positive understanding with one another, so just to be clear I don't consider you one of those that get frustrated when Sony 'fans' don't get mad at Sony for lying. Granted not to say that I don't think you'd like Sony to be called out on it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
NANOTEC said:
I don't think you need a buttload of polys to model cubes attached to the tires.

Trust me on this, I've been doing 3D modeling for a living in the past 6 years...

Warhawk seems to have some serious scale issues though... I mean most of the clouds are as big as your plane?? Okay, I understand that they want to demo their new tech, but this is ridiculous...

xbdestroya said:
Well... again I understand how you feel, but I guess for me I'm such a fan of CGI anyway, I like seeing the renders even knowing the final game won't look anything like it. I just enjoy the videos. Granted, that's just me.

I'm pretty much the exact opposite, I only want to see real stuff, and I'm not impressed unless I know it's real. CG does absolutely nothing for me, simply because I know that all you have to do is give a company like Blur a wad of cash, and they'll make you any video you like, I don't find that impressive at all. The GFX themselves are nice, but I have Star Wars, LOTR, and King Kong at home.

Laa-Yosh said:
Warhawk seems to have some serious scale issues though... I mean most of the clouds are as big as your plane?? Okay, I understand that they want to demo their new tech, but this is ridiculous...

huh? it seems like youre implying that the clouds are too big!
next time a planes flys by, take a look out your window and compare it to the clouds behind it.
if anything ild say the clouds (i havent seen the pictures or video so this is a guess) are to small for realism

zed said:
huh? it seems like youre implying that the clouds are too big!
next time a planes flys by, take a look out your window and compare it to the clouds behind it.
if anything ild say the clouds (i havent seen the pictures or video so this is a guess) are to small for realism

I think Laa-Yosh is saying the same thing. ;)

scooby_dooby said:
I'm pretty much the exact opposite, I only want to see real stuff, and I'm not impressed unless I know it's real. CG does absolutely nothing for me, simply because I know that all you have to do is give a company like Blur a wad of cash, and they'll make you any video you like, I don't find that impressive at all. The GFX themselves are nice, but I have Star Wars, LOTR, and King Kong at home.
I agree

I sure hope E3 shows us PS3 games and no more tech demos and CG trailers.

I want to see what it is capable of in game. I'm afraid however that due to the 6 month lead time until launch that they will feel the need to, once again, fan the PR fires that waiting for PS3 is worth it. If they show us current real time games they may feel it's a risk that people will say, "yes, looks nice but that looks like what we're seeing at the 360 booth too".

Tap In said:

I want to see what it is capable of in game. I'm afraid however that due to the 6 month lead time until launch that they will feel the need to, once again, fan the PR fires that waiting for PS3 is worth it.

For god's sake. They've already shown PS3 games.

It is highly amusing how some people will welcome something like Untold Legends with open arms as an example of "PS3 gameplay" but refuse to accept patently in-engine shots of Lair or live demos of Warhawk or whatever as demonstrative of the games. If anything looks too good for their comfort, it's like they're on auto-pilot about Sony deception and smoke & mirrors. It's like the ultimate compliment on the one hand, but on the other, they're setting themselves up for a shock and/or embarassment come E3, IMHO. I don't think they realise how much credit they're giving the games, though, by adopting this stance, which makes it all the more funny. But I bet there will be people at E3 still claiming the playable games Sony shows "aren't really games", and that they're doing this or that to uneven the playing field. I bet that still happens.

Titanio said:

It is highly amusing how some people will welcome something like Untold Legends with open arms as an example of "PS3 gameplay" but refuse to accept patently in-engine shots of Lair or live demos of Warhawk or whatever as demonstrative of the games. If anything looks too good for their comfort, it's like they're on auto-pilot about Sony deception and smoke & mirrors. It's like the ultimate compliment on the one hand, but on the other, they're setting themselves up for a shock and/or embarassment come E3, IMHO. I don't think they realise how much credit they're giving the games, though, by adopting this stance, which makes it all the more funny. But I bet there will be people at E3 still claiming the playable games Sony shows "aren't really games", and that they're doing this or that to uneven the playing field. I bet that still happens.

What looks "playable" to me is..the GDC stuff, except Ratchet and Clank. Untold Legends. The Sega game from E3. That canyon racing game from E3..

I mean Warhawk GDC..that's clearly a GAME. Not polished shots from non gameplay perspective like Lair.

Plenty of X360 games do this too. I see a lot of shots of say Gears, if I saw those with no context they mean nothing to me because they're not gameplay shots. I need to see the game running in engine.

Anyway, Sony is likely going to control things really tightly at E3, so remember they'll be putting there best foot forward, AKA it may not be a totally true picture either. I'm sure they'll put out more polished stuff than GDC.

Man, cant wait for e3! It's April 20th..getting there.

Tap In said:
I agree

I want to see what it is capable of in game. I'm afraid however that due to the 6 month lead time until launch that they will feel the need to, once again, fan the PR fires that waiting for PS3 is worth it. If they show us current real time games they may feel it's a risk that people will say, "yes, looks nice but that looks like what we're seeing at the 360 booth too".

And unfortunately this is what the media and others feed off of as opposed to forcing Sony to show the real thing. I'm glad to see Sony finaly starting to show game play from PS3 Dev kits at least. Even though some of it is still not completly in-game, Ratchett & Clanc and Ms, it is much better than CGI played off as game play. Just let the games do the talking. Both systems should have great content.

Gateway2 said:

I mean Warhawk GDC..that's clearly a GAME. Not polished shots from non gameplay perspective like Lair.

Plenty of X360 games do this too. I see a lot of shots of say Gears, if I saw those with no context they mean nothing to me because they're not gameplay shots. I need to see the game running in engine.

Once you have seen Gears of War in-game it is easy to believe the PS3 will be just as capable of prducing great graphics as seen in Lair. I won't get a PS3 at launch, but if the machine can display the type of graphics as shown on the 360, which I'm sure it will, I'd be a fool to miss out on what should be some truly great games.

I liked the Warhawk video. If it is a free roaming game it should be fun.

The whole of the agitation for 'gameplay' is beyond me. It's not as if the system will launch and games be sold before gameplay gets shown - and in that vein, CGI won't prevent anyone from purchasing a 360 or induce anyone to buy a PS3. It's just marketing filler for in between May of last year and the consoles launch November. Who cares that Sony does it and how does it effect anyone? Believe me, if anyone held off on a 360 purchase due to the CGI, they can pick one up in November after they realize what the real deal is.

The *only* reason for annoyance I could understand is from people who have listened to people talking about the CGI videos as evidence of PS3's future graphics superiority. Well, that line of conversation bothers me too. But not because there's something inherently wrong with the CGI movies themselves, but rather because those arguments using the CGI as supports are simply naive and flawed.

I have to say in general I see those looking for blood on the CGI thing and those using the CGI as support of PS3 graphics in debates as opposite sides of the same coin though.

Titanio said:
I didn't say that they were not showing any games, in fact look back in this thread and read what I have written.

I'm saying that I feel (based on history and marketing common sense) that Sony will show as little as possible of real game play except for the most impressive titles (Heavenly Sword and Warhawk for example). They will most likely show some impressive tech demos (not in game) and possibly more "target renders".

The press was wowed last E3 and will be chomping at the bit for more. Sony will be hard pressed to show anything that doesn't allude to the fact that they are going to have a system that is MUCH more powerful than 360.

Whether that is true or not we may not know for a year or two, but in the mean time, it has been their stance in PR and I expect no less come this E3 with 6 mos until launch.

If I'm proven wrong, I'll be surprised and gladly admit it, but it would be completely unlike Sony to do otherwise and not very smart based on their marketing PR up until now (with their main competitor already on the shelf)

I'm not picking on sony, it's just my opinion and a prognostication as to how I think things may unfold. :)

Tap In said:
I didn't say that they were not showing any games, in fact look back in this thread and read what I have written.

I'm saying that I feel (based on history and marketing common sense) that Sony will show as little as possible of real game play except for the most impressive titles (Heavenly Sword and Warhawk for example).

Whether your assumption that Sony will "show as little as possible" is true or not, I think Motorstorm will be included in the "most impressive" batch. The people taking this out of context terrain deform demo from GDC, and then comparing the "backgrounds" to the target render as if its some indication the final build is falling way short of expectations... well I think they're being a bit hasty and are in for a treat. Or an aneurism... its hard to tell sometimes. :)

liverkick said:
Whether your assumption that Sony will "show as little as possible" is true or not, I think Motorstorm will be included in the "most impressive" batch. The people taking this out of context terrain deform demo from GDC, and then comparing the "backgrounds" to the target render as if its some indication the final build is falling way short of expectations... well I think they're being a bit hasty and are in for a treat. Or an aneurism... its hard to tell sometimes. :)

yes MS and R&C also, I'd imagine would also be shown. :D
I mean what I've seen so far looks from okay to good to downright amazing.

I'm just thinking that they need to (and will) be careful since the expectations will be exceedingly high at E3. MS was 6mos from launch and we really didn't get to see a whole lot either and MS didn't even have a competitor on the shelf. Release day is pretty far out still and Sony has a lot of time to work on the games.

I actually hope they show a lot of games because we need to get that shoe to drop so we can say

... yea, it more or less does what 360 does.

OR wow, it looks better than anything we've seen before.

zRifle1z said:
Even though some of it is still not completly in-game, Ratchett & Clanc and Ms, it is much better than CGI played off as game play. Just let the games do the talking. Both systems should have great content.

Does that MS stand for Motorstorm? If so did you actually see the GDC videos. And Sony has already stated that the Ratchet and Clank video was real-time. Titanio has report this.

Didn't you?

Considering UBIsoft advertises Ghost recon with a full and complete CGI ad (that's IMO whorse a deception than targert renderings ) couldn't we simply drop that whole discution about realtime/lie or not hype ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back