Replaying the classics.

I recently just beat Uncharted Waters New Horizons on the SNES again and maxed out my character. So good. Also revisited a few Neo Geo classics like the first Shock Trooper.

By emulation or with your original SNES?

Emulation. If I Could play it on my old SNES, I would. Emulation is but a substitute for me. For this reason, I use bsnes, one of few emulators to get SNES sound right.

How do you find it? Secret of Mana is one of my fave games of all time but i just could never get into Seiken Densetsu 3 and all of the other games related to the series have been pretty lame aswell. Dont know why they didnt atleast do a single proper sequel to Secret of Mana keeping the formula mostly the same, instead they tried to drastically change it every time and never got it right :devilish:

Honestly, I dislike SoM greatly. The damn stupid charge up bar is just fucking ridiculous. SD3 speeds things up greatly, and that makes it a lot more fun for me.

As for the rest of the series, I dunno too much. I've only played the first three games. Final Fantasy Adventure is a pretty boring game. I only beat it because I had no other games to beat at the time, and couldn't afford any new ones.

I haven't tried Sword of Mana, Children of Mana, Dawn of Mana, Legend of Mana or that other one whose name I cannot remember for the life of me.

But still surprisingly zippy considering its antiquity!!
I don't doubt it. "Virus" was a classic on the Archimedes, looked great for its time with - I think - 256-color polygon graphics.

Weird that I've never seen a clone released on any newer platform... Maybe it could do a comeback today on PSN! :D

I'm disheartened every time I go into the technology thread regarding resolution and aliasing because I love the old blocky Sega graphics from Space Harrier, Thunder Blade and Galaxy Force II.

I recently just beat Uncharted Waters New Horizons on the SNES again and maxed out my character. So good.

I played that game some years ago (through emulation). I liked it, but I found it boring after a few minutes. I suppose that I should persist a little before leaving... :D

When I saw "classic" I imagined the following:

Asteroids
Tempest
Centipede
Pac Man
Donkey Kong

I'm playing the first three on MS Game Room (even though they're free on atari.com) - the faithful classic versions.
Those are classics, too! But you can't deny that good games released 10~ years ago (or even less, depending on the case) also deserve to be called a "classic". To me, Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit (just to mention my previous example) is a classic in its own right.

I'm disheartened every time I go into the technology thread regarding resolution and aliasing because I love the old blocky Sega graphics from Space Harrier, Thunder Blade and Galaxy Force II.

I also love "old blocky graphics", especially "point and click" adventure games, such as the Police Quest series.

It's curious how I can dislike jaggies in a polygonal presentation but love the grainy look of old games...

I played that game some years ago (through emulation). I liked it, but I found it boring after a few minutes. I suppose that I should persist a little before leaving... :D

It's kind of like GTA on the high seas. It's a free roaming game before most free roaming games were even made.

At last! I won a tournament in Expert mode (NFS III:HT) and I unlocked the Mercedes CLK!

I need to beat Knockout mode, now.

:)

Too many to mention as I have a Wiz, however I recently had a loft clearout and had a blast with some old kit from Pong to Intellivision to Amiga! Needless to say those are staying, what was interesting was the kids enjoyed the games too...in fact I even just invested in a trackball for the Amiga as the mouse wasn't working...can't wait to replay some more :)

I've also recently rebought Shadown of the Collosus and Ico in readyness for the Last Guardian.

I have been playing FF8 on my Go quite a bit lately. It looks really nice, and some of the integrated FMV/polygon scenes are still really impressive, but the fighting system is a bit of a letdown since 13. Everything feels so goddamm slow!

Couldn't they remake this instead of FF7?

Too many to mention as I have a Wiz, however I recently had a loft clearout and had a blast with some old kit from Pong to Intellivision to Amiga! Needless to say those are staying, what was interesting was the kids enjoyed the games too...in fact I even just invested in a trackball for the Amiga as the mouse wasn't working...can't wait to replay some more :)

Just out of curiosity, why was it interesting, exactly? Because they are accustomed to modern consoles/PC games and you expected that they would find those games too old or less colourful/funny?

Just out of curiosity, why was it interesting, exactly? Because they are accustomed to modern consoles/PC games and you expected that they would find those games too old or less colourful/funny?

pretty much yes, they are basically gfx whores lol and pick holes in game gfx (altho often they like something that I think doesn't look great) - but these are kids brought up on 'next gen' - they have DSs, PSPs and we have all 3 consoles (always have) - my eldest daughter was a baby when I was playing PS1, so it was quite a surprise they just wanted "one more go"! :)

pretty much yes, they are basically gfx whores lol and pick holes in game gfx (altho often they like something that I think doesn't look great) - but these are kids brought up on 'next gen' - they have DSs, PSPs and we have all 3 consoles (always have) - my eldest daughter was a baby when I was playing PS1, so it was quite a surprise they just wanted "one more go"! :)

XD

One day, when you arrive home, you will discover that your kids are reading Digital Foundry's Face-Offs...

Off-topic: Congratulations for having kids. They are a true blessing. By the way, I don't have kids, yet. :p

lol, thanks.

The great thing about kids is that it gives me an excuse to be a big kid!! :eek:D

My eldest is currently playing through Heavy Rain and enjoying it, they all love LBP and want me to get Move...I'm gutted! ;o)

lol, thanks.

The great thing about kids is that it gives me an excuse to be a big kid!! :eek:D

My eldest is currently playing through Heavy Rain and enjoying it, they all love LBP and want me to get Move...I'm gutted! ;o)

Lil' hardcores... :oops:

bah, gutted - I tried Ico last night only to find the PS3 doesn't upscale it (or improve the jaggies) - it's a real shame - I really, REALLY hope it get's a PS3 overhaul as it's really quite jaggy.

Back