*ren* PSN Down, Customer Info Compromised

Poll & article about whether Sony owe's their customers any kind of compensation for the outage...

http://kotaku.com/#!5795055

Looks like most people say yes.

Tommy McClain

Well they do owe us something, of course they have to be careful since they could end up being "to friendly" if this isn´t a "one of". Blizzard used to reimburse WOW players with "free time". But they never really were very fair about it.

Imho they should give everyone PSN Plus for a month and Plus owners a free month on top of their current subscription.

they should be much more consumer minded with this. The communication from sony has been terrible.

Day 1: "We have maintenance"
Day 2: We still have eh... maintenance. ETA tbd.
A little later that day: We are being hacked, ETA unknown.

Just come clean at once ;)

they should be much more consumer minded with this. The communication from sony has been terrible.

Day 1: "We have maintenance"
Day 2: We still have eh... maintenance. ETA tbd.
A little later that day: We are being hacked, ETA unknown.

Just come clean at once ;)

Its not always easy to tell the source of a problem in a large environment. Nor is it necessarily wise to make statements before having a finalized and tested plan of action. The simpliest answer, "it's under maintenance", is actually fairly accurate. It just falls under the "unplanned maintenance" category. :D

I just booted Socom 4/Special Forces for the first time and it told me that a new patch was out and let me download it. Without being signed in to PSN and when it tried to login in afterwards it said PSN down for maintaince.

So not all parts of the net is down at least.

I just booted Socom 4/Special Forces for the first time and it told me that a new patch was out and let me download it. Without being signed in to PSN and when it tried to login in afterwards it said PSN down for maintaince.

So not all parts of the net is down at least.

Yeah, Rockband 3 still shows the new DLC, but of course no online highscores.

But wasn't that 2007 outage actually Microsoft's fault and simply a under provisioning issue? I seem to remember the Halo 3 / Modern Warefare double team overwhelming their expected load capacities.This current Sony outage seems to be the result of some outside influence and not directly Sony's fault. There are protocols every large company has in place in the event of a network breach that must be followed, which usually consists of shutting down the compromised systems to prevent any further leaking of and safe guarding customer data, whilst allow for a investigation of known events and preventative measures to be put in place.

One thing I do find interesting though is how on one side of the fence developers always complain about MS's difficult certification processes and closed nature of their network, and on the other side of the fence as a consumer they have certainly delivered the most reliable and well integrated online experience of all the the consoles I have.

Lets just hope PSN is back up soon.

Well until the anonymous attack over the Geohotz thing I can't remember PSN ever being down other then the regularly scheduled maintenance so this is a new thing for PSN not a normal occurrence.

Yes, the 2007 XBL issue was a case of under-provisioning. They simply had not increased XBL's node-count in anticipation. A contact on the ETFS team mentioned he had heard they nearly doubled the number of nodes afterwards.

This PSN outage duration surprises me.

If there is any truth to the above, expect lawsuits against sony for breaching their stated private policy?

Assuming there is any truth to the above, unless they have truly incompentent people, they should by now know if any information has been compromized. This should be communicated to their customers asap -> so people can take the necessary steps to secure themselves.

If there is no truth to the above, atleast sony should release a statement confirming that the attack on PSN has not resulted in private information being leaked.

Depending on the nature of the breach it can be very difficult to determine what information may have been taken. Different companies have different policies on this. Some deem it better to take a more proactive approach and simply inform their customers that there is the possibility their data has been compromised and should take appropriate measures, while others are a bit more conservative and rather not alarm customers unless they are sure data has been taken. I think Sony falls into the more conservative category.

Hmm, I absolutely hate if services store your credit-card detail, PSN does this and so does Amazon.
No easy way to disable this "feature" either.

Successful attackers can do with the rest of my PSN Account whatever they want, they earned all the worthless accomplishments on it

There are new rumours that are about a new CFW that came out earlier this month that allowed users to log in as dev. and download stuff with fake CC info...ok could be possible but why shut down everything, and for so long ?

There are new rumours that are about a new CFW that came out earlier this month that allowed users to log in as dev. and download stuff with fake CC info...ok could be possible but why shut down everything, and for so long ?

My guess is that a) Sony over-reacted and then b) something went wrong.

I agree, they should have been able to disable anything sensitive (the store, account updates) but still allow basic authentication to still happen so folks could play games. I wonder if when they disabled things they managed to mess up their internal communication channels and if that is what has slowed the whole process down.

What really makes zero sense is the lame PR they are pushing out. It is like they are totally out of touch with how folks feel about online services and oblivious to how insulting their updates come across.

IMHO of course.

Cheers

What really makes zero sense is the lame PR they are pushing out. It is like they are totally out of touch with how folks feel about online services and oblivious to how insulting their updates come across.

IMHO of course.

Cheers

You're not alone on that, penny arcade did a piece on it today suggesting they should hire a human.

penny arcade said:
They have a serious problem here, and as serious as their technology problem might be, it’s not the biggest one they have. Their problem is that they don’t know how to communicate about anything but their legendary prowess. They simply don’t have it. I mean, genetically. They need to find a human being, or hire one, and start an actual dialogue with users.

That`s what a lot of people say. Many accept the fact that they had to shut down , the anger comes from lack of clear information. But the gaming press should also be a little more agressive in researching such issues not just copy/paste from each other but I guess they don`t want to risk their relationship with the industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back