Removing post count

actually reverend they can take away post counts for all I care . I'm mainly on the top ten list because i've been at the site as long as its been back up (And then some) and i have a ton of posts in the console forums and game forums where i'm the most active.

But they can take it away . Its not a big deal. I just like teasing dw and l-b .

Gamedev.net also has a lounge section. Their largest section in fact with over 1/2 million posts.
When I said I wished B3D is more Gamedev.net-like, I'm talking about the maturity of users when it comes to respecting a site's wishes. Each specific B3D forum comes with a description -- sadly, the majority do not respect that. Maybe that is because they think "Oh wait, if this guy can post about how sucky Doom3 plays when the thread is really about Doom3 graphics, and his posts stays because the mods do not delete his post... maybe I can provide my input on how sucky Doom3 plays in this thread and the mods wouldn't mind!".

Yes, B3D mods really should have a guideline that is much tighter than it currently is.

But that's just me.

jvd said:
actually reverend they can take away post counts for all I care . I'm mainly on the top ten list because i've been at the site as long as its been back up (And then some) and i have a ton of posts in the console forums and game forums where i'm the most active.

Do you think your posts count and matter in their respective forums, as described by B3D?

I've been with the site longer than you've been at the site -- look at my post count.

PS. I'm not discouraging "participation" at the B3D forums -- I'm only encouraging thinking carefully, and hence respecting what you think you know are the B3D's owner(s) wishes wrt to individual forum focus and "rules", before you decise to post what you would like to post in specific B3D forums.

Participation does not mean posting a lot. "Appreciated Participation in Specific Forums" probably needs to be understood.

Reverend said:
Gamedev.net also has a lounge section. Their largest section in fact with over 1/2 million posts.
When I said I wished B3D is more Gamedev.net-like, I'm talking about the maturity of users when it comes to respecting a site's wishes. [snip]
Yes, B3D mods really should have a guideline that is much tighter than it currently is.

But that's just me.
Have you tried looking into their modding policy? Have they taught their users how to properly behave in their respective forums?

I really agree that the mods should be given more power to agressively stamp out useless posts in the technical part of the forums.

epic

CRAP! I edited Simon's post when I wanted to quote him! Sorry Simon! Someone do something about this! I'm going for a nap!

Reverend said:
PS. I'm not discouraging "participation" at the B3D forums -- I'm only encouraging thinking carefully, and hence respecting what you think you know are the B3D's owner(s) wishes wrt to individual forum focus and "rules", before you decise to post what you would like to post in specific B3D forums.

Participation does not mean posting a lot. "Appreciated Participation in Specific Forums" probably needs to be understood.

I would say 80% of them.

I would like to think i'm appreciated in the console forums and the game forums. I post some good info (though i'm a big of a sega fan)

I don't post as often in the main 3d tech forum as I don't know as much about that and am learning . So i mostly post questions . I do get into some flame fights though. But thats because i love to arguee and i'm still a little inmature .
I'm def no saint. But i don't post to get a higher post count. Though to be honest i'm a little more active because london boy was upset that he'd be gone for 3 weeks and i would have past him.

Rev, I suggest you read the coding forums at GameDev.
Every time I visit I see at least one post every page about:

Java vs C++ vs C# vs Language A vs Language B.

Needless to say the mods try and try to discourage these discussions as they turn out to be like B3D's political forum.
I still see so many people who have "Banned" under there titles at GameDev. :LOL:

Reverend said:
I'd have removed those forums if I ran this site but I don't.
Why does that not totally shock me? I can understand your position, but I can still remember back when I joined and I was afraid of posting up here for fear of looking stupid....it ain't all that bad in that regards anymore.

I still think Beyond3D has some of the very best forums on the web, and I think they're a bit more accessible now.

The only way you could make B3D a comfy site for devs to post at is to alienate the public, there really has to be a balance else what is the point of having such great content if it is innaccessible?

(DW is annoying... please take no offence DW... it's just me and I am sure a lot of folks appreciate your participation here).
No offense taken, if I'm annoying you I take it as a compliment and figure I must be doing something right. 8)

Poster rating feature would be good IMO.
Totally agreed. Get rid of the post count and start up user-ratings.

We used to have user-ratings over at RageUnderground and I liked it, just a simple "everyone can vote once on everyone" based on a 5 star system.

Of course, I had the most votes and the highest rating... ;)

Reverend said:
Do you think your posts count and matter in their respective forums, as described by B3D?

I've been with the site longer than you've been at the site -- look at my post count.
But how much have you been contributing to the forums lately Rev? That's all post count means.

I'm not against getting rid of it, hell I find it a bit embarressing more than anything else. I see my post count on some sites and it just reads to me "GET A LIFE!!!!". :rolleyes: :oops:

But since we gots it, I like teasing about it. It's just in jest and meant in fun, it really isn't a big deal to me.

Reverend said:
PS. Poster rating feature would be good IMO.

PHPBB doesn't have, AFAIK, any poster rating "hack"... There's ton of Top poster feature, though. :?

Reverend said:

Trolling, and stupid bickering (and the classics copy/paste fights that nobody reads) are the main plague, when a topic is +10 pages, you can be sure that 70% of the posts a either troll/crap or people being trolled trying to anwser...

The problem is, like you stated it, that when somebody get away with a troll, others then dare to came with their own troll. Read Humus's Doom 3 thread, for instance, or the PSP pics thread on the console forum (not the worst but still 15 pages about nothing).

There's too much people out just to bad mouth an IHV or any other electronic manufacturer for no reason.
The mods really should reminds thoses people, some obvious public forum rules more often. (When Mods are not the ones adding fuel to the fire, of course :LOL: )

With regards to the original question again, i don't care much about the post count so remove it or leave it, i don't read it at all.

jvd said:
I do get into some flame fights though. But thats because i love to arguee and i'm still a little inmature .
I'm def no saint.

No, how come jvd? How come? :LOL: ;)

Martrox recently asked me about how he should judge modding on someone who was clearly here for no good reason - my suggestion to him as to ask whether his posts "Add Value" to the forum.

Adding value can come in many forums - whether it is directly responding to technical matters and supplying information, or participating in the spirit of the forums, or even asking questions because you want to learn can provoke good discussion which adds value.

So, my suggestion to posters would be to consider if they are adding any value with what they are posting.

Keeping in mind of course that there is nothing intrinsically wrong with adding joking comments. But yes I agree, an overwhelming post count of nothing but joking/snarky comments is not helpful in any way shape or form.

Natoma said:
But yes I agree, an overwhelming post count of nothing but joking/snarky comments is not helpful in any way shape or form.
Reminds me of someone specific here.

I realize a few (or maybe many) of you could be thinking "WTF is up with Rev nowadays? He's so aggresive lately, telling us to STFU if we can't provide answers to his questions".

That's the point. That is moderation without editing posts, deleting posts, locking threads, etc.

Oh, and yes, jokes are never a bad thing but folks should see if it is becoming a "trend" in any one particular thread that has nothing to do with jokes. I appreciate a break now and then.... after all, how many orgasms does it take a woman to really achieve one orgasm?

Now I'm not sure if I'm a VAP or BDP :?

- I don't know much about 3D technology, but I do like to learn. My questions are often so simple that none of the more experienced users even bother to answer.
- I play quite a lot of games and know something about them, but I can be very defencive on games I like and hostile against games I think are crap. Am I biased, and thus not adding value?
- I do post quite a lot of one-liners and "joke posts" (at least I like to think they are funny ;) ), maybe even more than serious posts. I do not post much overall though. Does that make me Board Degenerating Person?
- I can go into fruitless arguing about some silly things, if I think the other person is unjust in his critisism or is just posting false information. It's not my main reason to post though.

Still, I haven't got any pm or notices from moderators for unacceptable board behaviour (except once, when I told a fellow member to f*ck himself).

I think the moderators are really not being strict enough. As in "real life" people often do not know they are behaving somehow unacceptable manner, if they are not told about it straight.

Is it so that only the more active members are moderated, while those who are less visible on boards can get away with which those who post several times every day get warned more easily?

Back on topic..... ;)

I don't care much for post count...at least, not here anyway. :p Frankly, I don't see a reason for it here because this is supposed to be a place for technical discussion.

.......and even the ATARI community forums don't show post counts! I mean ...come on! The ATARI forums...:LOL: (although post counts are tracked in the user profile to determine if someone can use an avatar).

edit: I meant to convey that the atari forums are for gamers and not really for professionals beyond the respective game developers who are few at posting anyway. ;)

Back